by Linda Straker
- 2 of the 47 pending results tested positive
- 2 new cases related to an already confirmed patient
- Overall testing total is 92 of which 14 have tested positive
Dr George Mitchell, National Covid-19 Response Coordinator, said on Friday said that Grenada’s Covid-19 confirmed cases now stand at 13, because two of the 47 pending results tested positive. “This brings our overall testing total to 92 of which 14 have tested positive; however, only 13 cases here on Island,” Dr Mitchell said in an update statement broadcast on the Government Information Service (GIS).
During a news conference on Thursday, Health Minister, Nickolas Steele, said that results were pending for 47 persons and that result would be disclosed on Friday.
The 47 whose gender was not disclosed, are the first batch of persons to be tested since Grenada received approval for on-island testing. Before the on-island testing ability, all of Grenada’s tests were conducted at the lab of the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) in Trinidad.
“Those results come from the individuals who are, who were, who may have come into contact with our 12 confirmed cases. A couple of them are individuals who have shown symptoms that cause some reason of concern that caused the team to do testing,” Steele told journalists on Thursday.
Dr Mitchell did not provide a breakdown of the 2 new cases but said that they were related to an already confirmed patient. “Both individuals are related to one of the cases previously announced. Both of these individuals are stable. Let me assure that all our positive cases and their contacts are under quarantine.”
Dr Mitchell who is the immediate former Chief Medical Officer, reminded the nation that the Ministry of Health team continues to rigorously enforce and enhance quarantine and isolation measures, and the police have been a diligent partner in ensuring that guidelines are observed