• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Governor outlines state H1N1 plan, vaccination program

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Governor outlines state H1N1 plan, vaccination program

Sep, 08-2009 12:18 pm

NEWARK ? Gov. Jon S. Corzine Sept. 3 announced ?an aggressive initiative? to prepare to handle any resurgence of H1NI influenza this fall.

"As you have heard the public health experts say before, H1N1 influenza is a cause for concern, but not a cause for alarm," Corzine said. "Prevention is the best medicine for ensuring that workplaces stay productive, schools stay open, and most important, that families are safe.

?At my direction, the Department of Health and Senior Services and other agencies are taking action to ensure the state is prepared for any challenges that a resurgence of H1N1 influenza may bring this fall season."

The highlights of the Corzine Administration's plan include:

Free vaccinations for the 1.3 million uninsured New Jerseyans at public health clinics in ever county throughout the state. For those insured, the vaccine will be covered by their provider.

A public education campaign from the Department of Health and Senior Services encouraging hand washing, covering coughs and sneezes, and having children and adults stay home for 24 hours after a fever subsides.

Ongoing coordination with school districts around the state to monitor absences and implement practices to keep schools open.

Working with school districts to establish a voluntary vaccination plan available at health clinics.

Providing a ?Find a Flu Shot? link on the Department of Health and Senior Services website (www.state.nj.us/health/) for consumers to find locations where vaccinations are available.

Corzine encouraged New Jersey residents to get a seasonal flu shot and H1N1 flu shot when it is deemed safe and effective by the Centers for Disease Control and the Food and Drug Administration.

Information about the HIN1 vaccine will be posted on the Department of Health and Senior Services website when the vaccine becomes available.

State agencies have ramped up preparation and response efforts since the emergence of the novel flu strain last April. The Department of Health and Senior Services in conjunction with its H1N1 response partners conducted a multi-day Pandemic Influenza Response Summit this summer to prepare all partners to rapidly implement response operations throughout the state if necessary.

"Let me be clear; the goal is to keep schools open so healthy kids can learn and for sick kids to stay home. Let's keep our schools open and our kids healthy."

Last week, the Departments of Education and Health and Senior Services held a preparedness summit for county and local school officials to coordinate H1N1 planning, including guidance on school closures and the continuity of educational services. The Commission on Higher Education has also worked to keep college officials updated on the state's H1N1 influenza preparedness efforts.

In addition, New Jersey was awarded $16 million from the federal government to strengthen the state's pandemic influenza planning initiatives by helping state and local health agencies and health-care facilities with vaccination, surge capacity and continuity of operations.

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/news.php?id=4130
 
Back
Top