Re: Germany - Qatar man sickened by new coronavirus - disclosed a month after hospitalized
Re: Germany - Qatar man sickened by new coronavirus - disclosed a month after hospitalized
So onset October 5, transfer to Germany October 24, discharge this week.
http://www.spiegel.de/gesundheit/di...rde-in-essener-klinik-behandelt-a-869057.html
Essen University Hospital: coronavirus patient treated without special precautions
Veronika Hackenbroch, Cologne
DPA / Health Protection Agency
The new coronavirus under the microscope: Currently six known cases
Tension to the health authorities: A man from Qatar had been infected with the novel coronavirus that causes SARS-like symptoms. Doctors at the University Hospital Essen have treated the patient for four weeks - with no idea of what he suffered a dangerous pathogen.
When the
man from Qatar on 24 October in the Ruhrlandklinik, the Lung Center, University of Essen was admitted, he was already sick for 19 days, and the doctors in his country did not go on: his lung tissue was severely damaged by an infection, denied the vital organ. Only one treatment at a specialist clinic in how the food he could not save his life. By plane, he was transferred to Germany.
What the doctors from Qatar German colleagues not said was that they suspected, the patient could have been infected with the new coronavirus.
This virus was first detected in September in another patient from Qatar who was treated in London for acute lung and kidney failure. As it turned out later, was previously in the Netherlands has a Saudi citizen died of this pathogen.
Between the two cases, there was no association. However, the authorities were alerted immediately. For 2003, another coronavirus had spread like wildfire around the world: the causative agent of lung disease SARS. Before he reasons as yet unknown for now disappeared, he had claimed more than 700 victims.
Doctors in Qatar had therefore already one week before their patients to Germany moved, sent a sample body secretions for analysis to London. At the Health Protection Agency, which is currently testing regularly samples from Qatar and Saudi Arabia to the new coronavirus In fact, the result was positive. But of this the doctors of Ruhrlandklinik only learned this Thursday - on the Robert Koch Institute (RKI). Since the patient was back from Qatar largely recovered and one day previously transferred to a rehabilitation hospital.
ANZEIGEDie risk that employees of the Essen hospital or other patients could have been infected with the man with the novel agents estimate the clinic and the RKI indeed be low. Even if the virus could actually be transmitted from person to person, what is still unclear whether the man than on his 19th Illness had come for food, probably hardly been infectious, it said in a statement. In addition, he had been lying in a single room. To date, no hospital staff had shown symptoms of infection.
Nevertheless, the authorities view the world development with growing concern. On Friday informed the World Health Organization, are now already six infections were confirmed with the new coronavirus by laboratory results, two from Qatar and four from Saudi Arabia. Although there is still no evidence of human-to-human transmission, it was the first time a link between two cases produced: In Saudi Arabia, the virus could be detected in two members of a family, one of them died. Two other members of the family were suffering from similar symptoms, one of which also died. Whether it was infected with the virus is still unclear.
The WHO urged its member states to observe the emerging cases of acute respiratory failure well. Because one must assume "that the virus is probably spread further than in the two countries where it was previously demonstrated.