The 30-year-old woman who died from swine flu had a respiratory condition.Fernando Quintero | Sentinel Staff Writer
10:44 AM EDT, June 24, 2009
A 30-year-old woman who died at Florida Hospital's Altamonte Springs campus died early Tuesday was Central Florida's first swine flu casualty.
The woman was admitted earlier this month with pre-existing respiratory conditions, said hospital spokeswoman Samantha O'Lenick.
"Even though most cases of swine flu have been mild to moderate. All flu viruses have the potential to be serious. Everyone should remain vigilant in helping to prevent the spread of the disease," she said. "We are saddened by her death, and our thoughts go out to her family."
O'Lenick said the hospital has procedures in place to protect employees and patients. She also reminded the public to use proper health precautions, including covering a cough or sneeze with your arm, washing hands thoroughly, and stay home or consult a health care professional if you experience flu-like symptoms.
This is the second confirmed swine-flu related death in Florida. A 9-year-old Boy In Miami-Dade County died June 15. There are 562 probable and confirmed cases statewide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-bk-swine-flu-death-062409,0,7421477.story
10:44 AM EDT, June 24, 2009
A 30-year-old woman who died at Florida Hospital's Altamonte Springs campus died early Tuesday was Central Florida's first swine flu casualty.
The woman was admitted earlier this month with pre-existing respiratory conditions, said hospital spokeswoman Samantha O'Lenick.
"Even though most cases of swine flu have been mild to moderate. All flu viruses have the potential to be serious. Everyone should remain vigilant in helping to prevent the spread of the disease," she said. "We are saddened by her death, and our thoughts go out to her family."
O'Lenick said the hospital has procedures in place to protect employees and patients. She also reminded the public to use proper health precautions, including covering a cough or sneeze with your arm, washing hands thoroughly, and stay home or consult a health care professional if you experience flu-like symptoms.
This is the second confirmed swine-flu related death in Florida. A 9-year-old Boy In Miami-Dade County died June 15. There are 562 probable and confirmed cases statewide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-bk-swine-flu-death-062409,0,7421477.story