• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

First A/H1N1 deaths reported in Cuba- 3 pregnant women

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.milenio.com/node/300680

Google translation:

Cuba brings first three deaths from influenza

The Deputy Ministers of Public Health Portal and Jose Luis Estruch reported Friday in the Round Table TV program which addressed the epidemiological situation in Cuba from the H1N1 virus, the cause of the disease, and dengue transmission.

*
*
*

Fri, 09/10/2009 - 20:21

Havana .- The Ministry of Public Health in Cuba today reported the deaths of three pregnant women for human influenza and confirmed 621 cases, while called the "calmness and confidence" to this healthcare challenge.

The Deputy Ministers of Public Health Portal and Jose Luis Estruch reported Friday in the Round Table TV program which addressed the epidemiological situation in Cuba from the H1N1 virus, the cause of the disease, and dengue transmission.

The 621 confirmed cases relate to 177 children and 444 adults, of the total 181 (29 percent) are imported (passengers), 62 considered input (10 percent), and 378 natives (61 percent).

Portal said more than 110 pregnant women have been serious and "Sorry, unfortunately three deaths.

He warned that this is one of the groups at highest risk for contracting the disease that has caused so far over four thousand 500 people in the world.

Estruch, meanwhile, said the island has about 80 thousand women pregnant "and we estimate that about five thousand are suffering from influenza (the common) in this seasonal period until December.

The official said that Cuba bought $ 2.5 million in vaccines for seasonal flu, but the antidotes come in November and will be allocated to risk groups.

About the new vaccine said: "We've gone out to look" and the authorities are managing the support of international agencies.

"We are on the waiting list for donation," and that "we believe in the vaccine, but we do not. The vaccine is best prevention to avoid infection.

Estruch thanked the World Organization Pan American Health Organization (WHO-PAHO) for the efforts they have made for Cuba, but insisted that the country has the necessary medicines and their health care system remains active.

He also said that no decision to stop the 2009-2010 school year, if "what we are doing is applying the steps to be in every school".

"This is an epidemic in a complicated time puts us in tension," and said the government is able "without panic, calmly, to give a whipped both conjunctivitis as dengue and influenza.
Notimex
 
Re: First A/H1N1 deaths reported in Cuba- 3 pregnant women

Cuba announces first swine flu deaths

(AFP) ?

HAVANA ? Cuba announced that three pregnant women died after contracting swine flu, the first report of A(H1N1) casualties on the communist island.

"We unfortunately have to regret three confirmed cases of people who died" of swine flu, Deputy Health Minister Jose Angel Portal Miranda said on a television news program.

He did not say when the three women died.

According to government officials, the number of confirmed H1N1 cases in the country stands at 621 people, including 177 children.

National Epidemiology Director Manuel Santin said around 30 percent of the cases were "imported" by tourism to the island, which hosts 2.5 million visitors a year.

According to the latest World Health Organisation figures, at least 4,525 people have died from swine flu infections since the virus was uncovered in April.

This is an increase of 417 fatal cases from a week ago when 4,108 deaths were recorded, the UN health agency said in its weekly update of the pandemic.

Most deaths occurred in the Americas region, where 3,292 fatalities have been reported.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5izMtVXUSAR7rYdp2Z-FpNLdcNUPA
 
Re: First A/H1N1 deaths reported in Cuba- 3 pregnant women

Saturday, Oct. 10, 2009
Cuba reports swine flu deaths: 3 pregnant women

By PAUL HAVEN - Associated Press Writer

HAVANA -- Cuba has acknowledged its first deaths from swine flu, saying three pregnant women succumbed to the virus and many more have been treated for symptoms.

Deputy Health Minister Jose Angel Portal said a total of 2,100 pregnant women were treated for symptoms of the disease, with 110 of them seriously ill, in comments reported by the official Communist Party newspaper, Granma, on Saturday.

He said three pregnant women died of the disease, according to Granma.

The report does not say how many women remain hospitalized, nor make clear whether all of the 2,100 cases were confirmed to be H1N1.

The communist government has said it will use everything at its disposal to fight swine flu - including calling in the armed forces - but it has expressed deep reservations about global plans to use a vaccine, which is currently being rolled.

Cuban health officials have said that that program will be costly and could also be ineffective, since the virus could easily mutate and make any vaccine obsolete.

The article said there are now 621 confirmed cases - including 177 children - in the country of more than 11 million people.

Most of the early cases of swine flu were among visitors to the island, but Granma said the number of Cubans coming down with the virus was rising.

Swine flu, first identified in April, is a global epidemic. The World Health Organization says there have been more than 375,000 loboratory confirmed cases and over 4,500 deaths linked to the illness. But many countries have stopped counting individual cases.

http://www.thestate.com/world/story/978716.html?RSS=untracked
 
Back
Top