Shiloh
Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: https://diario.elmundo.sv/nacionale...os-casos-de-sarampion-y-ya-suman-18-contagios
Health Ministry Reports Four New Measles Cases, Bringing Total to 18
Iliana Cornejo Wednesday, May 20, 2026 - 3:44 PM
The Ministry of Health assures that all cases are imported.
The Ministry of Health's epidemiological bulletin updated the count with four new cases of measles in El Salvador this Wednesday, May 20, bringing the total to 18 in an outbreak of the disease that began in 1996.
Until yesterday, the Ministry of Health had reported one additional case, raising the total to 14. However, these four new cases were reported this Wednesday during epidemiological week 19, which corresponds to May 10-16.
This new outbreak of the infectious disease was confirmed on April 9, when Health Minister Francisco Alabi announced that 11 people had tested positive for the virus, but by that time, eight had already recovered.
At that time, Minister Alabi said there were approximately 200 contacts under surveillance and reminded the public that the virus's incubation period ranges from seven to 21 days.
The epidemiological bulletin, which the Ministry of Health updates sporadically, does not detail the condition of those infected, nor their location, gender, or age.
Following the outbreak announcements, the Ministry of Health launched a measles vaccination campaign, seeking out children between six and 11 months of age to receive the initial dose, in addition to vaccinating healthcare workers...
Health Ministry Reports Four New Measles Cases, Bringing Total to 18
Iliana Cornejo Wednesday, May 20, 2026 - 3:44 PM
The Ministry of Health assures that all cases are imported.
The Ministry of Health's epidemiological bulletin updated the count with four new cases of measles in El Salvador this Wednesday, May 20, bringing the total to 18 in an outbreak of the disease that began in 1996.
Until yesterday, the Ministry of Health had reported one additional case, raising the total to 14. However, these four new cases were reported this Wednesday during epidemiological week 19, which corresponds to May 10-16.
This new outbreak of the infectious disease was confirmed on April 9, when Health Minister Francisco Alabi announced that 11 people had tested positive for the virus, but by that time, eight had already recovered.
At that time, Minister Alabi said there were approximately 200 contacts under surveillance and reminded the public that the virus's incubation period ranges from seven to 21 days.
The epidemiological bulletin, which the Ministry of Health updates sporadically, does not detail the condition of those infected, nor their location, gender, or age.
Following the outbreak announcements, the Ministry of Health launched a measles vaccination campaign, seeking out children between six and 11 months of age to receive the initial dose, in addition to vaccinating healthcare workers...