• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

Two out of eight cases tested in an outbreak of deadly fever in the north of the Democratic Republic of Congo were positive for the Ebola virus, Health Minister Felix Kabange Numbi said on Sunday.
The World Health Organization said on Thursday that at least 70 people had died in an outbreak of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis in Congo's northern Equateur province. A WHO spokesman had said the outbreak was not Ebola.;) :tiphat:http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/08/24/us-health-ebola-congodemocratic-idINKBN0GO0R520140824
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

<header> Minister: 2 people have died of Ebola in Congo

Aug. 24, 2014 2:22 PM EDT
</header> You are here

Home ? Democratic Republic of the Congo ? Minister: 2 people have died of Ebola in Congo
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) ? Two Ebola deaths have been confirmed in Congo, the health minister of the Central African country said Sunday.
Felix Kabange Numbi said that two of eight samples from the northwest Equateur province came back positive for the deadly disease.
Numbi said Congolese officials believe Ebola had killed 13 people in the region, including five health workers. He said 11 people were sick and in isolation and that 80 contacts were being traced.
Congo has been hit by Ebola outbreaks seven times before, but the two deaths are the first ones in recent times, Numbi said.
However, he said the infections were of a different strain than those in the outbreak in West Africa that has killed more than 1,400 people.:magnify:
The samples were from the region where the World Health Organization said an outbreak of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis has killed 70 people in recent weeks, he said.
The WHO said last week those deaths were not Ebola-related.
A total of 2,615 Ebola infections and 1,427 deaths have been recorded in the outbreak now hitting West Africa, according to figures released Friday by the WHO. Sierra Leone has been hard-hit, with at least 910 cases and 392 deaths. Other affected countries include Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria.:tiphat:http://bigstory.ap.org/article/minister-2-people-have-died-ebola-congo
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

UPDATE 1-Congo declares Ebola outbreak in northern Equateur province

Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:25pm GMT

KINSHASA Aug 24 (Reuters) - Democratic Republic of Congo declared an Ebola outbreak in its northern Equateur province on Sunday after two out of eight cases tested came back positive for the deadly virus, Health Minister Felix Kabange Numbi said.
...
"I declare an Ebola epidemic in the region of Djera, in the territory of Boende in the province of Equateur," Kabange Numbi told a news conference.
...
Numbi said that one of the two cases that tested positive was for the Sudanese strain of the disease, while the other was a mixture between the Sudanese and the Zaire strain -- the most lethal variety. ...
...
A WHO spokesperson said the U.N. health agency could not confirm the results of the tests announced on Sunday, which were carried out by the Congolese authorities.

(Reporting by Bienvenu-Marie Bakumanya; Writing by Daniel Flynn; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

http://af.reuters.com/article/drcNews/idAFL5N0QU14820140824
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

Translation Google

DRC: four people died of Ebola

Last Updated: August 24, 2014 - 6:57 p.m. GMT
...
Dr. Felix Kabange Numbi announced Sunday, August 24 that the locality of Boende affected by the virus will be quarantined on a perimeter of 100 km surrounding the area. The Congolese Minister of Health told the BBC that access will be strictly limited in this community in the province the Equator which features nearly 40,000 people.
...
For now, Dr. Felix Kabange Numbi said the locality is too far from the border to think that this is the same strain as that applied to the West Africa. The couple who died would have consumed a monkey contaminated by the virus . And the medical staff who treated them were contaminated.
...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/afrique/region/2014/08/140824_ebolardc.shtml
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

computertranslation

DRC: Government declares Ebola outbreak Djera

August 24, 2014 at 7:54 |

Analyses by the National Institute for Biomedical Research (INRB) show two cases of Ebola on eight samples brought back from the health area Djera Boende in Equateur province, where a "hemorrhagic fever with undetermined origin "was thirteen dead. The Minister of Public Health, Felix Kabange, announced Sunday, August 24 in Kinshasa, after a crisis meeting held by the Congolese government.

Based on the results of analyzes of INRB, the Minister of Public Health said the presence of Ebola on Congolese soil:

" This epidemic has no connection with that outbreak in West Africa , "said Minister of Health, adding that this is the seventh outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, from that of Yambuku occurred in 1976 in the province of Ecuador. He said the experience gained from previous epidemics six will be put to use to contain the disease.

The outbreak is confined to the area Djera, 25 kilometers Boende-center or over 600 km of Mbandaka, the provincial capital, and more than 1200 km of Kinshasa, said Felix Kabange, adding that n 'there is no Ebola in these two major cities.

However, the Minister of Health announced a series of preventive measures taken to stop the spread of the epidemic, including:

-Quarantine sector Djera

-the establishment of a processing center and a mobile laboratory Lokolia, the epicenter of the epidemic

-Staffing all ports and airports in Ecuador laser thermometers

-Ban on hunting throughout the district Tshwapa



Previously, Felix Kabange released the report of the mission he conducted at Boende after the occurrence of cases of "f i?vre bleeding of undetermined origin "in this territory:

" The facts on the ground indicates that the disease has killed thirteen people, including five health workers. Eleven people are sick in isolation and more than eighty contacts were identified and monitored by a dedicated team . "

Radio Okapi

DR Congo and Equateur province

250px-Location_DR_Congo_AU_Africa.svg.png
200px-Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo_-_%C3%89quateur.svg.png

wikipedia
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

Yes, that is exactly what I heard.


Yes, according to this audio, 2 samples are positive for Ebola, one sample positive for the Sudan strain and the other positive for a cross Sudan/Zaire. Further analyses will be done at the International Center for Medical Research of Franceville in Gabon to determine the source in the next hours.
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

jeeepers its hard enough to get fractional clarity when dealing with EBOV but now we have a separate incidence of SUDV - the reporting on this is going to confuse people so much...

Source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan_ebolavirus

"A virus of the genus Ebolavirus is a member of the species Sudan ebolavirus if:

it is endemic in Sudan and/or Uganda
it has a genome with three gene overlaps (VP35/VP40, GP/VP30, VP24/L)
it has a genomic sequence different from Ebola virus by ≥30% but different from that of Sudan virus by <30%"

Source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan_virus

"Ecology
The ecology of SUDV is currently unclear and no reservoir host has yet been identified. Therefore, it remains unclear how SUDV was repeatedly introduced into human populations. Bats are suspected to harbor the virus because infectious Marburg virus (MARV), a distantly related filovirus, has been isolated from bats, and because traces (but no infectious particles) of the more closely related Ebola virus (EBOV) were found in bats as well.

Molecular Biology
SUDV is basically uncharacterized on a molecular level. However, its genomic sequence, and with it the genomic organization and the conservation of individual open reading frames, is similar to that of the other four known ebolaviruses. It is therefore currently assumed that the knowledge obtained for EBOV can be extrapolated to SUDV and that all SUDV proteins behave analogous to those of EBOV."
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

A cross between Zaire and Sudan? I don't think I've ever heard of that before.

I know that Bundibugyo and Zaire cross-react in tests, but not Sudan.

Is this suggesting some sort of recombination, which had been recently postulated between different Zaire strains?
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

shoot for simplicity - co-infection makes more proximal sense
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

Thanks, gang! Wouldn't a co-infection be unlikely? Maybe just a positive to both strains on a preliminary test, but the confirmation will determine which. I think one important question to be answered;

Are these two positives linked in any way to the ongoing multi fatality "mysterious fever" outbreak in DR Congo?
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

WHO ‏@WHO 5m
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has confirmed an outbreak of #Ebola in the remote village of Boende. The national lab in #DRC

WHO ‏@WHO 3m
reports it is due to an #Ebola strain that is different from the one currently in West Africa. The country has extensive experience with ...

WHO ‏@WHO 2m
#Ebola outbreaks and immediately deployed a response team with WHO and other partners2the area. The country is organizing additional tests

WHO ‏@WHO 2m
The country is organizing additional tests to better characterize the strain. #Ebola #DRC (c 3 previous tweets connected to this one).

https://twitter.com/WHO
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...o-confirms-first-ebola-cases/article20187094/


Congo confirms first Ebola cases
Geoffrey York
JOHANNESBURG ? The Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Aug. 24 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Last updated Sunday, Aug. 24 2014, 7:49 PM EDT

...Last week, the World Health Organization insisted the Congo deaths were not caused by Ebola. But on Sunday, a WHO spokesman said the earlier statement was based on ?premature information.? Now the global organization says it is waiting for further tests in Congo...

...The outbreak has been ?contained? in an area in Equateur province...Other reports said the government is setting up a quarantine area with tight controls for 100 kilometres around the site of the outbreak...

...The government says the samples in Congo suggest the presence of the Sudanese strain of the virus, while the West African outbreak was caused by a different strain, the Zaire strain, the most lethal form of the virus.

One of the two samples in Congo, however, was officially reported to contain a mixture of the Sudanese and Zaire strains ? a claim that puzzled many Ebola analysts on Sunday...
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

A dual infection would be most feasible in a wild-type host, but would suggest that the host is quite widespread across Africa and can migrate a long way.

Two different infectious types of virus would also suggest a dual introduction i.e high presence/ predominance of virus in the host.

On Googling, it seems some species of bats do migrate, so its quite possible.
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

Clarification please,

The mystery disease in Congo is not Ebola but something else, and they also have Ebola on top of that, but its not the same type as the current west African outbreak, which gives us a dual outbreak, but of more limited scope currently?

Is that right?

Also, is there any chance their wrong about the Mystery disease in Congo being Ebola as well?
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

Clarification please,

The mystery disease in Congo is not Ebola but something else, and they also have Ebola on top of that, but its not the same type as the current west African outbreak, which gives us a dual outbreak, but of more limited scope currently?

Correct, different species of ebolavirus. The current West Africa one is Zaire, this is Sudan, though oddly one seems to be both Zaire and Sudan, and nobody really seems to know what that means.

Unrelated simultaneous outbreaks have occurred before, in 1976 and 2012.


Also, is there any chance their wrong about the Mystery disease in Congo being Ebola as well?

The CFR seems to be well below what one would expect from even the mildest Ebola, and six of the eight samples tested negative.

Going through the hundreds of reported cases and working out which is and isn't Ebola looms as a tough task.
 
Re: Ebola outbreak: DR Congo confirms first cases

computertranslation

Ebola: DRC appeals for funds to fight the epidemic

August 25, 2014

(...........)

The DRC government has asked Monday, August 25 the financial support of its national and international partners to contain the epidemic hemorrhagic fever officially declared last evening in Djera, a town of Equateur province in the north-east of the country . The Minister of Public Health, Felix Kabange made ​​the call during a meeting with ambassadors and heads of diplomatic missions accredited in the DRC.

"We remain open to the contribution of both national and international community. The challenge is logistics sector because Djera is eccentric. We will have to put up camp at this sector and this requires extremely funds. And beyond the fact that we will place the Ebola treatment center. There is no water in the area, therefore, there must be a mechanism in order to bring water, "said the minister.

The quarantine of Djera creates a new challenge, said Felix Kabange, the additional food intake to about 50,000 inhabitants of this town already enclosed.

"We need your support, your support so that together we can contain this epidemic," pleaded the Congolese minister.

Besides the initial contingency plan valued at 2.5 million USD, the government needs two million American dollars to fight back against the epidemic while the overall plan requires approximately 4.5 million USD.

Radio Okapi
 
Back
Top