Re: FluTrackers : Ebola in Uganda Spreading - Death toll rising
Re: FluTrackers : Ebola in Uganda Spreading - Death toll rising
Three more die of Ebola, toll reaches 25
By Vision Reporters
THE Ebola death toll climbed to 25 after three people succumbed to the deadly virus on Friday evening. Two patients died in Bundibugyo Hospital, while a third one exhibiting symptoms of Ebola passed away in Kabarole Hospital in Fort Portal.
Medical workers in Bundibugyo said one of the victims was Enock Bwambale, brother to Jeremiah Muhindo, the very first person to die of the disease in the hospital. The other was an old woman.
The patient who died in Kabarole Hospital was admitted during the night, but died in the morning before he could be transferred to the isolation centre in Kichwamba. By Friday evening, there were 116 confirmed cases. Hundreds more were under observation in Bundibugyo District.
The Director General of Medical Services, Dr. Sam Zaramba, on Saturday confirmed that seven more suspects were being looked after at the isolation centre in Kichwamba. He said four of the suspected patients were remand prisoners from Katojo. Three others were contacts of the prisoners.
To battle the ravaging virus, the health ministry has acquired a helicopter for Ebola surveillance. More medical experts, including 13 expatriate doctors, have arrived in the district to boost the team already on the ground.
The new arrivals include two doctors from the World Health Organisation, two from Afronet and four from the Centres for Disease Control in Atlanta in the US.
The health ministry has also brought in more doctors and nurses from Kampala and Gulu. To bolster the ministry?s efforts, the UPDF has deployed three medical workers, the Police one doctor, while M?decins Sans Fronti?res brought in four nurses from Gulu.
Kenya has also dispatched a special medical team of four to join the International Disaster Response Unit.
Five sub-counties in Bundibugyo District with an estimated population of 250,000 people, are affected by the Ebola outbreak.
Mass weddings involving 42 couples in various parishes of the Catholic Diocese of Kasese, slated for December, have been suspended.
But Samuel Kazinga, the Bundibugyo RDC, who is the District Ebola Taskforce chairman, said the epidemic in the district was gradually coming under control.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health is trying to establish what triggered the outbreak. The Commissioner of Health Services, Dr Sam Okware, told Sunday Vision it was unlikely it was caused by a goat, as was earlier claimed. He said the animal died after eating a poisonous plant and the people who ate the goat died after eating the poisonous meat. ?It was a coincidence that Ebola broke out in the same place,? Okware said.
KASESE
A family, consisting of a couple and their three children fled to Hima in Kasese, when a medical team in Bundibugyo tried to isolate them. They had been in contact with an Ebola victim. The Police in Kasese is trying to trace them.
The Kasese Ebola taskforce, chaired by Resident District Commissioner Capt. James Mwesigye, has banned social gatherings, including wedding parties, disco dances, religious crusades, video shows, drinking joints and public rallies. The task force has also designated Bwera Hospital as the main isolation centre.
MALABA
Travellers to Kenya arriving at the Malaba on the Kenyan side of the border, have to undergo compulsory screening for Ebola, before being allowed to cross into Kenya.
Kenya?s immigration officer at Malaba, Simon Makworo, confirmed the decision to screen all visitors from Uganda following the Ebola outbreak.
All people arriving from Uganda are required to first report to the Public Health Office at the border before going to the Immigration Office.
KYAMBOGO
There was panic at Kyambogo University when students learnt that 14 of their colleagues, who come from Bundibugyo, had travelled back home to attend burials of relatives who had succumbed to Ebola.
But according to the Bundibugyo district chairman, Jackson Bambalira, only one of the students, Robert Bwambale Kalemire, had attended the burial of his relative in the district.
MUBENDE
In Mubende Hospital, a 10-year-old boy has been admitted in critical condition showing symptoms of Ebola. The district surveillance officer, Francis Masereka, said it was not confirmed if it was an Ebola case. ?We have the case reported to the ministry and they have promised that a team of professionals is coming to Mubende soon,? he said.
NURSES? DEMO
Meanwhile, in Kampala, nurses and midwives demonstrated on Friday to protest their poor working conditions. The demonstrators walked from the Ministry of Health headquarters in Wandegeya to the council office in Makerere Kivulu, where they addressed the press. The demonstration was staged by the Uganda National Association for Nurses and Midwives.
?We have lost four medical workers in the past few weeks,? said Janet Obuni, the association?s president. ?We appeal to the Government to ensure that the affected hospitals are provided adequate protective materials and supplies as a matter of urgency.?
By Anne Mugisha, John Thawite, Matthias Mugisha, Arthur Asiimwe, Reuben Olita, Andrew Ssenyonga and Luke Kagiri
Published on: Sunday, 9th December, 2007
http://www.sundayvision.co.ug/detail.php?mainNewsCategoryId=7&newsCategoryId=123&newsId=601070
Re: FluTrackers : Ebola in Uganda Spreading - Death toll rising
Three more die of Ebola, toll reaches 25
By Vision Reporters
THE Ebola death toll climbed to 25 after three people succumbed to the deadly virus on Friday evening. Two patients died in Bundibugyo Hospital, while a third one exhibiting symptoms of Ebola passed away in Kabarole Hospital in Fort Portal.
Medical workers in Bundibugyo said one of the victims was Enock Bwambale, brother to Jeremiah Muhindo, the very first person to die of the disease in the hospital. The other was an old woman.
The patient who died in Kabarole Hospital was admitted during the night, but died in the morning before he could be transferred to the isolation centre in Kichwamba. By Friday evening, there were 116 confirmed cases. Hundreds more were under observation in Bundibugyo District.
The Director General of Medical Services, Dr. Sam Zaramba, on Saturday confirmed that seven more suspects were being looked after at the isolation centre in Kichwamba. He said four of the suspected patients were remand prisoners from Katojo. Three others were contacts of the prisoners.
To battle the ravaging virus, the health ministry has acquired a helicopter for Ebola surveillance. More medical experts, including 13 expatriate doctors, have arrived in the district to boost the team already on the ground.
The new arrivals include two doctors from the World Health Organisation, two from Afronet and four from the Centres for Disease Control in Atlanta in the US.
The health ministry has also brought in more doctors and nurses from Kampala and Gulu. To bolster the ministry?s efforts, the UPDF has deployed three medical workers, the Police one doctor, while M?decins Sans Fronti?res brought in four nurses from Gulu.
Kenya has also dispatched a special medical team of four to join the International Disaster Response Unit.
Five sub-counties in Bundibugyo District with an estimated population of 250,000 people, are affected by the Ebola outbreak.
Mass weddings involving 42 couples in various parishes of the Catholic Diocese of Kasese, slated for December, have been suspended.
But Samuel Kazinga, the Bundibugyo RDC, who is the District Ebola Taskforce chairman, said the epidemic in the district was gradually coming under control.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health is trying to establish what triggered the outbreak. The Commissioner of Health Services, Dr Sam Okware, told Sunday Vision it was unlikely it was caused by a goat, as was earlier claimed. He said the animal died after eating a poisonous plant and the people who ate the goat died after eating the poisonous meat. ?It was a coincidence that Ebola broke out in the same place,? Okware said.
KASESE
A family, consisting of a couple and their three children fled to Hima in Kasese, when a medical team in Bundibugyo tried to isolate them. They had been in contact with an Ebola victim. The Police in Kasese is trying to trace them.
The Kasese Ebola taskforce, chaired by Resident District Commissioner Capt. James Mwesigye, has banned social gatherings, including wedding parties, disco dances, religious crusades, video shows, drinking joints and public rallies. The task force has also designated Bwera Hospital as the main isolation centre.
MALABA
Travellers to Kenya arriving at the Malaba on the Kenyan side of the border, have to undergo compulsory screening for Ebola, before being allowed to cross into Kenya.
Kenya?s immigration officer at Malaba, Simon Makworo, confirmed the decision to screen all visitors from Uganda following the Ebola outbreak.
All people arriving from Uganda are required to first report to the Public Health Office at the border before going to the Immigration Office.
KYAMBOGO
There was panic at Kyambogo University when students learnt that 14 of their colleagues, who come from Bundibugyo, had travelled back home to attend burials of relatives who had succumbed to Ebola.
But according to the Bundibugyo district chairman, Jackson Bambalira, only one of the students, Robert Bwambale Kalemire, had attended the burial of his relative in the district.
MUBENDE
In Mubende Hospital, a 10-year-old boy has been admitted in critical condition showing symptoms of Ebola. The district surveillance officer, Francis Masereka, said it was not confirmed if it was an Ebola case. ?We have the case reported to the ministry and they have promised that a team of professionals is coming to Mubende soon,? he said.
NURSES? DEMO
Meanwhile, in Kampala, nurses and midwives demonstrated on Friday to protest their poor working conditions. The demonstrators walked from the Ministry of Health headquarters in Wandegeya to the council office in Makerere Kivulu, where they addressed the press. The demonstration was staged by the Uganda National Association for Nurses and Midwives.
?We have lost four medical workers in the past few weeks,? said Janet Obuni, the association?s president. ?We appeal to the Government to ensure that the affected hospitals are provided adequate protective materials and supplies as a matter of urgency.?
By Anne Mugisha, John Thawite, Matthias Mugisha, Arthur Asiimwe, Reuben Olita, Andrew Ssenyonga and Luke Kagiri
Published on: Sunday, 9th December, 2007
http://www.sundayvision.co.ug/detail.php?mainNewsCategoryId=7&newsCategoryId=123&newsId=601070
