• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Ebola Back in Uganda?

sharon sanders

Editor-in-Chief & President
New Vision (Kampala)

NEWS
3 March 2008
Posted to the web 4 March 2008

By Conan Businge
Kampala
The Ministry of Health is investigating two suspected Ebola deaths in Bundibugyo, a week after the country was declared free of the disease.
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right"> <!-- Display Google AdManager Ad for 'AllAfrica_Other_Inset'--> <script language="JavaScript"> GA_googleFillSlot("AllAfrica_Other_Inset"); </script><script src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gampad/ads?correlator=1204635245628&output=json_html&callback=_GA_googleAdEngine.setAdContentsBySlotForSync&impl=s&prev_afc=1&client=ca-pub-2420009840005975&slotname=AllAfrica_Other_Inset&page_slots=AllAfrica_Other_Leaderboard%2CAllAfrica_Other_Inset&cust_params=language%3Denglish%26Topics%3Dhealth%26Countries%3Deastafrica%252Cuganda&cookie=ID%3D0020b43e74341169%3AT%3D1203633383%3AS%3DALNI_MaUS0sRJYSkqFrpV6sqdLBsf1Lg1w&ga_vid=1027124671.1203633370&ga_sid=1204635237&ga_hid=1801190499&ga_fc=true&url=http%3A%2F%2Fallafrica.com%2Fstories%2Fprintable%2F200803040095.html&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fallafrica.com%2Fstories%2F200803040095.html&lmt=1204631519&dt=1204635245969&cc=100&u_h=900&u_w=1440&u_ah=870&u_aw=1440&u_cd=32&u_tz=-300&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=17&u_nmime=58"></script>
<script>_GA_googleAdEngine.createDOMIframe('google_ads_div_AllAfrica_Other_Inset' ,'AllAfrica_Other_Inset');</script>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
The men, David Bindu and Patrick Kasaija, who were residents of Bwera in Kasese but working in Bundibugyo, died last week.
The primary health care state minister, Emmanuel Otaala, said: "It may or may not be Ebola. We cannot tell now. We need to get the results and see what to do next."
He said a team of investigators had been sent to Bundibugyo.
Dr. Monica Musenero, an epidemiologist at the health ministry, said the samples were expected at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe, later yesterday.
"We cannot dismiss the possibility of Ebola, but we have to be patient and wait for the results," she said.
Bindu, a teacher of Bundikeki Primary School, succumbed to the mysterious disease on Sunday afternoon after being admitted to hospital on Tuesday.
Health officials say he was complaining of pain in joints and headache.
Bindu had been sharing a bed with Kasaija, a teacher of Bukangama Primary School.
Kasaija passed away a week earlier after showing similar symptoms.
The New Vision has learnt that there is also growing panic by several people that got in contact with the deceased.
But Otaala urged residents to be calm. "We should not panic. It is not yet confirmed that this is Ebola and we have enough manpower to handle all situations."
Samuel Kazinga, the resident district commissioner, also allayed fears that the strange disease was Ebola.
The World Health Organisation and the Ministry of Health declared Uganda Ebola-free on February 22.
The Ebola Virus struck Bundibugyo in November last year leaving more than 40 people dead, including Dr. Jonah Kule.



http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200803040095.html
 
Re: Ebola Back in Uganda?

EBOLA HEMORRHAGIC FEVER - UGANDA (05): (BUNDIBUGYO), SUSPECTED
**************************************************************
A ProMED-mail post
<http://www.promedmail.org>
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
<http://www.isid.org>

Date: Mon 3 Mar 2008
Source: AllAfrica, New Vision (Kampala) report [edited]
<http://allafrica.com/stories/200803040095.html>


The Ministry of Health is investigating 2 suspected Ebola deaths in
Bundibugyo, a week after the country was declared free of the
disease. The victims who were residents of Bwera in Kasese but
working in Bundibugyo, died last week. The primary health care state
minister, Emmanuel Otaala, said: "It may or may not be Ebola. We
cannot tell now. We need to get the results and see what to do next."
He said a team of investigators had been sent to Bundibugyo.

Dr Monica Musenero, an epidemiologist at the Health Ministry, said
the samples were expected at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in
Entebbe, later yesterday [Sun 2 Mar 2008]. "We cannot dismiss the
possibility of Ebola, but we have to be patient and wait for the
results," she said.

A teacher at Bundikeki Primary School, succumbed to the disease on
Sunday afternoon [2 Mar 2008] after being admitted to hospital on
Tuesday [26 Feb 2009]. Health officials say he was complaining of
pain in joints and headache. He had been sharing a bed with a teacher
of Bukangama Primary School, who passed away a week earlier after
showing similar symptoms. [These are the 2 individuals referred to in
the opening sentence].

The New Vision has learnt that there is also growing panic by several
people that were in contact with the deceased. But Otaala urged
residents to be calm. "We should not panic. It is not yet confirmed
that this is Ebola and we have enough manpower to handle all
situations." Samuel Kazinga, the resident district commissioner, also
allayed fears that the strange disease was Ebola.

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Ministry of Health
declared Uganda Ebola-free on 22 Feb 2008. The Ebola Virus struck
Bundibugyo in November last year [2007] leaving more than 40 people
dead.

[Byline: Conan Businge]

--
Communicated by:
ProMED-mail
<promed@promedmail.org>

[Although the soundness of the preliminary diagnosis of Ebola
hemorrhagic fever cannot be judged from the scant information
contained in this report, it may be that the announcement of the end
of the Ebola fever outbreak by WHO and the Ugandan Ministry of Health
was premature. A clear account of the outbreak in Bundibugyo and the
final death toll has still to be published. Further developments are
awaited
.

[An interactive map of the Bundibugyo region of Western Uganda is available at <http://www.maplandia.com/uganda/bundibugyo/>. - Mod.CP]
-
http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=..._BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1000,71671
------
 
Re: Ebola Back in Uganda?

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="480"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="headline1">Health ministry rules out Ebola</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Friday, 7th March, 2008</td> <td align="right"> <!-- E-mail and Print Article --> <table style="border-collapse: collapse; margin-left: auto; margin-right: 0px;"> <tbody><tr> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"></td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">E-mail article</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"> </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"></td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">Print article</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> By Vision Reporters

THERE is no Ebola in the country, the Ministry of Health has said. The mysterious death of three people in Bundibugyo and Bushenyi last month raised fears that Ebola might have returned.

The Bushenyi district internal security officer, Michael Burafu, succumbed to a mysterious death on February 21. He was followed by two teachers in Bundibugyo .
The deaths came a few days after Uganda was declared ?Ebola-free?.

However, samples from Bushenyi and Bundibugyo were negative. ?The patients did not die of Ebola,? the director of health services, Sam Zaramba, said on Thursday.

However, he could not reveal what killed the people because they did not do postmortems on the bodies.




http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/13/615490


</td></tr></tbody></table>
 
Back
Top