• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

E-Coli Outbreak in Oklahoma

prepdeb

Moderator
E. coli patient count rises

by: KIM ARCHER World Staff Writer
9/3/2008 12:00 AM


206 people have gotten sick, making this outbreak the largest of this strain of the bacteria.


An outbreak of illness due to a rare and virulent strain of E. coli bacteria appears to be the largest of its kind ever reported in the United States, state health officials said Tuesday.

"The complexity of this outbreak and the necessity to be extremely thorough in our investigation means we still have more questions than answers," said state epidemiologist Dr. Kristy Bradley.

Meanwhile, the number of people falling ill from the bacteria continues to rise.

At least 206 people have been sickened by the deadly bacteria, including 149 adults, 53 children and four other people whose ages have not been confirmed. One man died.

Patient ages range between 2 months and 88 years of age, officials said.

State health investigators have interviewed more than 550 people regarding the outbreak so far, with more than 100 people left to interview, said Oklahoma State Department of Health spokeswoman Leslea Bennett-Webb.

Not all of those who were interviewed ate at Country Cottage, the Locust Grove restaurant at the center of the investigation, she said.

And some of those who were interviewed ate at the restaurant but didn't get sick, Bennett-Webb said.

Health officials are not ready to reveal the number of those sickened who ate at the Country Cottage, she said.

"Based on the interviews and new hospitalizations, we haven't seen a large number of secondary infections," she said. Secondary infections refer to those transmitted by person-to-person contact.

"This is very rare, and it's something not normally found here," Bennett-Webb said, noting this strain has never been identified in Oklahoma before.

In addition, water from a private well located on the property of the Country Cottage restaurant was ruled out as a source of the contamination, health officials said.

The Country Cottage restaurant remains the primary focus of investigators.

"We are continuing our efforts to conduct microbiological testing of food preparation and serving surfaces in the restaurant, and we continue to interview cases, as we try to establish an association with those who became ill and a potential source," Bradley said.

Seattle attorney Bill Marler of the Marler Clark law firm has represented thousands of victims of foodborne illness outbreaks since 1993.

"This is highly unusual. We have been involved in every major U.S. outbreak in the last 15 years, and we have only seen this serotype twice before ? once traced to apple cider in New York and once connected to water or salad in Texas," he said.

His firm has litigated food poisoning cases against a number of companies, including Wendy's, ConAgra, Chili's, Chi-Chi's and Jack in the Box.

"It may be very difficult to pinpoint a food item as the particular source," Marler told the Tulsa World. "Most folks at buffets eat a little bit of everything or can't recall what they ate, making the identification of a food product tough."

Marler said the parents of a few children who remain hospitalized at St. Francis Hospital have contacted him about possible legal action. Because of the complex nature of the outbreak, Marler said he was not hopeful about their prospects of winning a case.

"If they are not able to figure out what food it was and how it got contaminated, a lot of people will be left uncompensated," he said.

According to Oklahoma State Department of Health records, fewer than 50 cases of E. coli have occurred in Oklahoma each year since 2005.

In 2008, only 18 cases had been reported as of July 31, records show.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kim Archer 581-8315
kim.archer@tulsaworld.com


http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080903_17_A1_polaeg250329
 
Re: E-Coli Outbreak in Oklahoma

Inspectors Still Tracking Source Of E. Coli

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 09:10 PM CDT

Updated: Sep 2, 2008 09:11 PM CDT


Health investigators have narrowed their search to the Country Cottage Restaurant in Locust Grove.

It is the largest E. coli outbreak in U.S. history. It all started 10 days ago with 12 patients at Saint Francis Hospital. Six days later, the number topped 100. The News On 6's Ashli Sims reports now the number has doubled. There are 206 people sick, ranging in age from two months to 88 years old.

Health investigators have narrowed their search to the Country Cottage Restaurant in Locust Grove. But it's ruled out well water, as a source of the contamination.

Health officials still don't know how the E. coli outbreak, which has turned epidemic, got started.

"It does take some time for them to find all the things you're looking for," said Elizabeth Nutt with the Tulsa Health Department.

Elizabeth Nutt works for the Tulsa County Health Department and is not directly involved in the Mayes County case. But, she says typically these cases are very complicated. Investigators don't just talk to those who are sick, but everyone they interacted with, and those who didn't get sick.

"You are working with people's recall of what they did, not just the people that ate there, but the people who work there. What they did. That starts to become a little fuzzy," said Elizabeth Nutt with the Tulsa Health Department.

Those details are made fuzzier, by the passage of time. Nutt says investigators are asking folks about what they did and ate eight to 12 days earlier. And then, there's the testing. The health department tests everything from samples of food to surfaces inside the restaurant.

"They also do environmental swabbing where they'll take a Q-tip of a cotton swab and dip it in a media and they'll swab an environmental surface like food equipment, cutting board, or sinks," said Elizabeth Nutt with the Tulsa Health Department.

And, in this cat and mouse game, E. coli has the advantage. It's a fraction of our size and it only takes a little to cause a lot of damage to the human body.

"It takes very few of these organisms to make somebody ill. Five or 10 microscopic size organisms. Sometime you may swab an area that doesn't have any organisms on it but right next to it could be so it's very challenging," said Elizabeth Nutt with the Tulsa Health Department.

The Country Cottage is still voluntarily closed while the health department continues its investigation. The number of those sick could continue to climb, but doctors say the cases should start tapering off.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8941144
 
Re: E-Coli Outbreak in Oklahoma

E. Coli Outbreak Largest Of Its Kind

Posted: Sep 2, 2008 01:39 PM CDT

Updated: Sep 2, 2008 05:34 PM CDT


The Oklahoma Department of Health says the only place it's investigating is the Country Cottage in Locust Grove.


In all, 206 people, including more than 50 children, are sick.

More than 200 people have gotten sick as an outbreak of E. coli continues to spread throughout northeast Oklahoma. Investigators are focused solely on the Country Cottage Restaurant in Locust Grove as the source. The News On 6's Dan Bewley reports the health department is calling it the largest outbreak of its kind in U.S. history.

In all, 206 people, including more than 50 children, are sick as a result of the outbreak. What makes it hard for investigators is it is a form of E. coli unlike anything they've seen before.

The Oklahoma Department of Health says the only place it's investigating is the Country Cottage in Locust Grove. The restaurant and its catering business, which is also under investigation, remain voluntarily closed. The 206 people who have gotten sick are being treated at various hospitals in Tulsa and Oklahoma City, including 18 adults and children at Saint Francis. Dr. Mark Rowland is an epidemiologist helping with the investigation.

"You know 10-20 people, that's a significant outbreak. This is what I'd consider enormous," said Dr. Mark Rowland.

Dr. Rowland says E.coli is naturally found in the human body, actually living in the colon. But, the form that has gotten so many people sick is extremely rare. It's a bacterium that got its own viral infection and introduced dangerous toxins to the host body. The problem now for health investigators is trying to determine why more than 200 people became sick; it's not an easy answer.

"That's one of the things the CDC and all of us are trying to sort out is why did this outbreak get to be so severe?" said Dr. Mark Rowland.

The health department has ruled out water found in a well on the property of the Country Cottage as the source of the contamination. But, determining where the dangerous E.coli originated has been difficult for investigators. Dr. Rowland says the case serves as another reminder of a simple way to avoid infection.

"This is an epidemic, it's a severe epidemic, but it's one that can be easily controlled with hand washing. That's the main thing here is we all need to pay attention to what we know we should be doing," said Dr. Mark Rowland.

The health department is specifically looking for anyone who ate at the Country Cottage between August 15 and 23rd.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8938147
 
Back
Top