Guterres welcomes peace deal between DR Congo and Rwanda
© WFP/Moses Sawasawa
People fleeing a displacement camp to escape fighting between Congolese forces and M23 rebels in North Kivu province, Democratic Republic of the Congo. (file)
28 June 2025
Peace and Security
UN Secretary-General António Guterres has welcomed the peace agreement between the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Rwanda signed on Friday in the United States capital, Washington, DC.
The accord is “a significant step towards de-escalation, peace and stability in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Great Lakes region,” he said in a statement that evening.
A breakthrough amid crisis
Since the 1990s, eastern DRC has been plagued by dozens of armed groups who have terrorized the population.
The Government has long accused Rwanda of supporting the M23 rebel group which Rwanda has denied.
Earlier this year, the M23 launched an offensive in North and South Kivu provinces, capturing cities and villages, including provincial capitals Goma and Bukavu.
Thousands of civilians were killed, hundreds of thousands more were displaced, and serious human rights violations were committed.
UN commitment remains
The Secretary-General commended the US for its leadership in facilitating the mediation process, in coordination with Qatar and the African Union Mediator, President Faure Gnassingbé of Togo.
He also acknowledged the contributions of the five co-facilitators designated by the East African Community (EAC) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
He urged the parties to fully honour their commitments under the peace agreement and in line with
UN Security Council resolution 2773 (2025), including the cessation of hostilities and all other agreed measures.
The resolution, unanimously
adopted in February, condemned the M23 offensive and called for the DRC and Rwanda to return to diplomatic talks.
The Secretary-General concluded his statement by saying the UN, including through its peacekeeping mission in the DRC,
MONUSCO, “remains fully committed to supporting the implementation of the agreement, in close coordination with the African Union, regional and international partners.”
Coincidentally, the
Security Council met on Friday to discuss developments in the DRC.
The Secretary-General's Special Representative for the country and Head of MONUSCO, Bintou Keita, welcomed the peace agreement as a significant step towards ending the conflict.
‘A chance to turn the page’
The UN refugee agency,
UNHCR, echoed this message in
a statement on Saturday, saying the agreement “offers a chance to stop the cycle of violence and displacement and focus on solutions that restore dignity, stability, and opportunity.”
Furthermore, it “can bring renewed hope to those who have endured far too much for far too long,” added the agency’s chief, UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi.
“This is a chance to turn the page – ensuring the protection of civilians, including refugees and internally displaced people, and advancing durable solutions that allow them to rebuild their lives in safety and dignity,” he said.
https://news.un.org/en/story/2025/06/1165071
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translation Google
DRC-Rwanda Peace Agreement: Tshisekedi Sees It as a Promise of Peace for the Troubled East
Published on Mon, 06/30/2025 - 12:33 | Modified on Mon, 06/30/2025 - 12:35
Head of State Félix Tshisekedi, Wednesday, December 11, 2024, during his speech before the two chambers of Parliament, meeting in congress, at the People's Palace, in Kinshasa.
Photo/Cellcom Presidency of the Republic
In his speech on Monday, June 30, marking the 65th anniversary of independence, President Félix-Antoine Tshisekedi welcomed the recently signed agreement between the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda, calling it a "promise of peace" for the people of the eastern part of the country, who have been suffering from decades of conflict.
"This signed agreement is not just a document. It is a promise of peace for our compatriots in Goma, Bukavu, Rutshuru, Lubero... and all the towns and cities martyred by the war," said Félix-Antoine Tshisekedi.
The Head of State affirmed his government's determination to re-establish state authority throughout the territory, while respecting national sovereignty and the legitimate aspirations of the Congolese people.
Justice and memory for the victims
President Tshisekedi stressed that, despite pacification efforts, the demand for justice remains intact for the victims of the atrocities committed in the East.
“The agreement signed in Washington opens up unprecedented prospects. It heralds an era of lasting peace, regional cooperation, and shared prosperity. It commits us to rebuilding our communities, revitalizing our economies, and restoring the dignity of every Congolese person. This peace, precious as it is, remains fragile. It requires an unwavering commitment from all of us—government, citizens, partners—to its consolidation. We will continue to demand that justice be done and that those responsible be held accountable.”
International support welcomed
The Congolese President expressed his deep gratitude to the key players who contributed to the signing of this agreement:
Donald Trump, for his personal commitment to the process,
Sheikh Tamim of Qatar, whose discreet mediation facilitated the dialogue,
João Lourenço (Angola) and Uhuru Kenyatta (Kenya), for their diplomatic efforts, whose decisive commitment has largely contributed to bringing the security tragedy facing the Democratic Republic of Congo to the attention of the international community.
https://www.radiookapi.net/2025/06/...a-tshisekedi-y-voit-une-promesse-de-paix-pour
-----------------------------------------------
Peace Agreement Between the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Republic of Rwanda
By U.S. Embassy Kinshasa
June 27, 2025
https://cd.usembassy.gov/peace-agre...blic-of-the-congo-and-the-republic-of-rwanda/