• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Dominican Republic records more than 3,700 cases and 17 deaths from Guillain-Barre syndrome associated with Zika virus, 1 microcephaly

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Translation Google

Dominican recorded 2 deaths linked to zika

AP | APRIL 7, 2016 02.00PM

Dominican authorities Thursday reported the first two deaths from Guillain-Barre syndrome associated with Zika virus.

A 42 year old woman died on the eve in the intensive care ward at the public hospital Vinicio Calventi, west of the capital.

Juan Inoa, in charge of internal medicine at the hospital, said that the patient had been in the health center for six days affected by Guillain-Barre syndrome, after being transferred in serious condition from a private clinic in the province Barahona, in the southwest.

Previously, she had presented symptoms zika.

Two other patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome-a disease of the immune system that causes muscle weakness and in severe cases death respiratoria- failure in intensive care in the hospital, Inoa said.

The Health Ministry reported Thursday in its weekly bulletin that a man of 64 years died in late March in Azua, 125 kilometers west of the capital, after developing Guillain-Barre syndrome, preceded by symptoms zika.

Health authorities detailed that so far this year have been reported 1,090 suspected cases of Zika, only 55 of which were confirmed by laboratory tests in the United States.

Because the country lacks laboratories for testing zika, samples of patients are sent to the United States.

Among the confirmed cases zika, are 19 pregnant women. Health authorities indicated that no been no confirmed cases of microcephaly associated with the Zika virus.

http://www.telemetro.com/internacio...stra-muertes-vinculadas-zika_0_905609972.html
 
Translation Google

Zika and increase cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome in the country


COUNTRY | 06-30-2016 | noticiassin.com


SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic.- To date, 216 have reported new suspected cases of Zika virus disease, including 81 pregnant women; of these 58 had symptoms in the first and second trimester of pregnancy, according to latest epidemiological bulletin SP.

Also, 13 new cases of Guillain Barre syndrome (GBS) associated with this disease were reported.

Moreover, there have been more than 3,700 cases and 17 deaths from Guillain Barre syndrome associated with Zika.

Zika circulation has been confirmed in the National District and 20 provinces. In the past four weeks, the provinces Duarte, La Romana, La Vega, Puerto, Plata, Samana, San Cristobal, Monte Plata and Hato Mayor, have increased the reporting of suspected cases.

Since beginning the ZIKA surveillance in the country they have been reported 3771 suspected cases.

So far this year have visited 1 million homes and 306,000 644 1,498,640 eliminated in the framework of the national day of prevention and control of mosquito "Aedes aegypti", which causes the Zika, dengue and chikungunya virus.

http://www.apunterd.com/articulov.php?id=113643
 
Translation Google

Baby born with microcephaly in Dominican Republic

AP | SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic 3 July 2016 - 10: 24h

Health authorities in the Dominican Republic reported on Sunday July 3 the birth of the first child with microcephaly so far this year and investigate whether it is linked with the epidemic zika .

The zika is transmitted by the bite of aegypti aedes mosquito endemic in the Dominican Republic, causing conjunctivitis, rashes and severe pain in joints and muscles.

Since the epidemic began in 2015 in Brazil, authorities in that country and other nations in the region have reported increasing cases of microcephaly and Guillain-Barre syndrome.

The Health Ministry explained in a statement that the baby's mother, a woman aged 27, denies having symptoms zika while your medical record shows that had eruptions in the abdomen between eight to 10 weeks of pregnancy.

Altagracia Guzman, Minister of Health, reported that the case of microcephaly is a male who was born on June 29 at the public hospital in Barahona, 200 kilometers west of the capital. The child samples other congenital malformations.

He explained that the five sonograms that doctors practiced to the mother during pregnancy, in the first four no malformation was detected.

Nelson Rodriguez, deputy health minister, had warned in early June that health authorities expected from July began to register the first cases of microcephaly associated with zika.

According to statistics from the Directorate of Epidemiological Disease, until 4 last June had been reported about 3 thousand 800 suspected cases of zika, including 536 pregnant women. They had also recorded 17 deaths from Guillain-Barre syndrome linked to zika.

Health officials made the weekend its sixth national day of fumigation and destruction of potential mosquito breeding sites to try to reduce the incidence of zika, chikungunya and dengue.

http://www.prensa.com/mundo/Nace-bebe-microcefalia-Republica-Dominicana_0_4520547970.html
 
Translation Google

Public Health reiterates recommendation not to become pregnant to present zika

7DIAS.COM.DO ZIKA VIRUSJULY 4, 2016 3:55 PM

SANTO DOMINGO .- The Ministry of Health today reiterated the call for women of childbearing age and their partners postpone pregnancy while in the country the period of great Zika virus circulation is maintained.

Dr. Mercedes Rodriguez Silver, vice minister of Public Health, said that this is the most effective measure to prevent births of babies with congenital malformations such as microcephaly.

He said, however, that not yet have the results of laboratory tests to confirm or rule out any link between the case of microcephaly reported and disease.

Through a statement, Public Health said that since last January issued an epidemiological alert in which it confirmed the virus circulation and weeks later, reporting the first cases, was when he officially urged women of childbearing age postpone pregnancy, since in countries like Brazil became associated with the disease microcephaly by Zika virus.

He notes that by then the virus circulating in neighboring countries to the Dominican Republic that have similar climatic, social and environmental conditions.

Regarding the case of the baby born with congenital abnormalities, including microcephaly, Silver Rodriguez said the Ministry is awaiting test results that prove or rule out the presence of the Zika virus in the mother. He said there is little report microcephaly associated with other causes in the country.

"We have no certainty that the mother develop symptoms or signs of Zika virus, but we are doing research, because in one of his checks the person who took it recorded a" rash "transitory, and the virus be circulating is important to reliable evidence to prove or disprove a link between the disease and the case reported, "he said.

While the director of Management of Population Health, Jose Manuel Puello, said a group of specialists in perinatology Ministry of Health went immediately to the hospital Jaime Mota and performed the evaluation, noting that the mother is in good condition and infant observation, but under normal conditions, so it was discharged and then fever and was referred back to the health center.

"After the newborn fever presented new evidence resulting from the normal range were made. However, because of their neurological condition was considered beneficial to have a center where given a comprehensive monitoring and have complete control of their clinical evolution, "he said.

Puello said that until the week epidemiological number 23 in the country has registered 500 pregnant women who have had symptoms attributable to Zika less than 24 weeks gestation.

"The recommendation is to go to your regular prenatal consultation, analytical and studies medical advice and avoid taking medications that are not recommended by your specialist made," he explained to point out that the ministry follows up these cases.

http://www.7dias.com.do/portada/201...cion-embarazarse-ante-presencia-del-zika.html
 
Back
Top