• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Dominican Republic: 2022 - 2023 Cholera

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/ot...-imported-cholera-case/ar-AA13coaW?li=AAggFp4

Dominican Republic confirms first imported cholera case
Daniel Stewart - Yesterday 3:19 p.m.

The Dominican Republic's Ministry of Health confirmed Thursday a first imported case of cholera in a 32-year-old woman who had traveled this week from neighboring Haiti, where a new outbreak of the disease was confirmed earlier this month.

According to information provided by health authorities, the infected woman had traveled from Haiti's capital, Port-au-Prince, to the province of La Altagracia, located in eastern Dominican Republic, reports 'Listin Diario'....
 
Source: https://www.telesurenglish.net/news...eports-Second-Cholera-Case-20221121-0017.html


Dominican Republic Reports Second Cholera Case
Published 21 November 2022

The patient is a 4-year-old Haitian boy who remains in the hospital for observation.

The child entered the DR on November 18, according to the Ministry of Public Health, which said in a press release that the Haitian minor entered the country through Dajabon after presenting symptoms for two days in Port-au-Prince...
 
Source: https://dominicantoday.com/dr/health/2022/12/18/4-more-cases-of-cholera-confirmed-in-la-zurza/

Health December 18, 2022 | 9:00 am
4 more cases of cholera confirmed in La Zurza

Santo Domingo, DR
The Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance (MISPAS) confirmed four new cases of Cholera, corresponding to men of 50, 30, 23, and 4 years of age, respectively, all of Dominican nationality and residents of the La Zurza sector of the National District.

The patients were admitted last Thursday, 15 of this month, after presenting with watery diarrhea accompanied by vomiting and dry mouth. They were hydrated and stabilized at the health center, and they immediately proceeded to take stool samples, obtaining a positive result for Cholera on Saturday 17th...
 
Source: https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...cholera-management-in-the-dominican-republic/

January 10, 2023 | 8:06 am
Doctors question cholera management in the Dominican Republic

...The State intervened after three cases of the disease in the last sweep in various neighborhoods such as the Nuevo Domingo Sabio Project, the former La Ciénaga, and Los Guandules, as well as Capotillo, El 24 de Abril, Gualey, Simón Bolivar, and Villas Agricolas. However, according to residents of Villas Agricolas, it took them a long time to get there, and some are still unaware of the government entities’ movements in their communities to stop the cholera outbreak. Although the only cases still active in the country are in La Zurza and Villas Agricolas, where the outbreak’s first and only death occurred last Thursday, the other four locations were also intervened in over the weekend, according to Public Health...
 
Source: https://www.telesurenglish.net/news...s-19-Cholera-Cases-So-Far--20230116-0002.html

Dominican Republic Reports 19 Cholera Cases So Far
Published 16 January 2023 (9 hours 19 minutes ago)

On Sunday, Dominican Republic’s Health Ministry confirmed two new cholera infections, which brings to 19 cases reported in the country since October 2022.

"The two new cases correspond to two Haitians who reside in the Banica municipality. Both remain stable and will be discharged possibly in the next few hours," the Health Ministry stated, stressing that patients had recently returned to their home country, where 457 people have died from the disease in the last three months.

"No friends or relatives of patients have presented suspected symptoms so far.... We will maintain epidemiological surveillance on them," authorities insisted, urging the population not to be alarmed...
 
Translation Google

MISPAS notifies the population of six new cases of cholera

SANTO DOMINGO.- The Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance (MISPAS) through the Vice Ministry of Collective Health and its General Directorate of Epidemiology (DIGEPI) notifies the population, the confirmation through corresponding analyzes of six new cases of cholera, corresponding to two Dominicans, a 56-year-old male and a 37-year-old female, residing in Villa Liberación and the Solares del Almirante in Santo Domingo Este.

While the remaining four cases are imported, they correspond to patients of Haitian nationality, two males aged 47 and 31 and two females aged 72 and 9.

The patients were admitted between January 18 and 20, after presenting whitish watery diarrhea accompanied by vomiting. When they were treated at the health center, they were hydrated and stabilized, proceeding immediately to take the stool samples, resulting positive for cholera today, Sunday, January 22.

The medical report certifies that the patients have been without bowel movements for more than 24 hours, remaining stable, and in good spirits, remain hospitalized for observation purposes, with possible discharge in the next few hours.

Similarly, the Directorates of Health Areas I and VI, together with the Vice Ministry of Collective Health, DIGEPI and the Risk Management Directorate of the Ministry, maintain the epidemiological fence, with close relatives, and permanent intervention in the areas to detect, prevent and investigate any suspected case of the disease, in addition to the installation of a mobile medical office to treat any emergency presented in the identified sectors.

According to the epidemiological report, so far there are no relatives of the patient with suspicious symptoms of the disease. Public Health ratifies that the intervention is maintained in the La Zurza sector, where no new cases have been reported for more than two weeks, and maintains attention to Haitian nationals who return to the country from Port-au-Prince, given the possibility that they may enter infected of the illness. The exhortation to the population to take care of themselves is maintained and if they present pictures of watery diarrheal evacuations several times a day, stay well hydrated and go immediately to the nearest health center.

Communications Directorate MISPAS
January 22, 2023.-

https://msp.gob.do/web/?p=16219
 
Source: https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2023/02/08/public-health-reports-seven-new-cases-of-cholera/

Health February 8, 2023 | 3:01 pm
Public Health reports seven new cases of cholera

The Ministry of Public Health notified seven new cases of cholera on Wednesday, all in Santo Domingo Este, increasing the total number of confirmed infections since October in the country to 59. The infections correspond to three men aged 79, 51, and 27, as well as three women aged 28, 31, and 13 and a three-year-old boy, the Deputy Minister of Collective Health, Eladio Pérez, explained at a press conference. All those affected are stable, the official said...
 
Source: https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...-for-cholera-remains-well-controlled-and-low/

Health February 17, 2023 | 8:00 am
Health Minister says hospitalization for cholera “remains well controlled and low”

The Minister of Public Health, Daniel Rivera, called on Thursday to continue cholera vaccination, improve hygiene conditions, and avoid consuming food from places of sale that appear insufficient to prevent the spread of this bacterium, which has so far affected 71 people in the Dominican Republic. The official assured that the ministry's and the community's joint interventions, vaccination, house-to-house visits, and the epidemiological fence will be maintained...
 
Source: https://www.plenglish.com/news/2023/02/22/dominican-rep-reports-5-new-cholera-cases-2/

Dominican Rep. reports 5 new cholera cases
Santo Domingo, Feb 22 (Prensa Latina) The Dominican Health Ministry on Wednesday reported five new cases of cholera in the country, bringing overall contagion toll to 82 since first detection in October 2022.
February 22, 2023
CST16:55 (GMT) -0500
Published by: Pavel López Lazo

As explained by Eladio Perez, Deputy Collective Health Minister, the new cholera-infected patients are three women (aged 23, 26 and 43), a 60-year-old man and an eight-year-old minor...
 
Source: https://www.telesurenglish.net/news...lera-in-Dominican-Republic-20230713-0017.html


Alert of Some Cases of Cholera in Dominican Republic
Published 13 July 2023 (14 hours 43 minutes ago)

​Several deaths from dehydration in the municipality of Enriquillo have aroused the alert of Dominican epidemiologists. The deceased, among them children, presented severe diarrhea and dehydration, which suggests a possible expansion of the cholera outbreak in the region.

So far only two cases have been positive in this municipality in Los Cocos town. Another 11 cases are kept under surveillance which, like the deceased, present symptoms of acute diarrhea. Tey are Haitians residing in the same community.

The Ministry of Public Health in Dominican Republic reported the implementation of a vaccination campaign that began in January this year, which consists of 85,000 doses. At that time the country had 42 confirmed cases. A significant number of those doses were sent to border towns with Haiti, with the aim of preventing the transfer of the disease to and from the neighboring country.​..
 
Translation Google

The Ministry of Health notified the appearance of 11 cases of acute diarrhea, suspected of cholera, all of Haitian nationality

image.png


Confirmation of analytical results is expected, between 48 to 72 hours by the National Laboratory Dr. Defilló

The Ministry of Public Health through the Vice Ministry of Collective Health and its General Directorate of Epidemiology and the Directorate of Risk Management, reported that on the afternoon of this Monday, July 10, the appearance of eleven cases of acute diarrhea, suspected of cholera, corresponding to four male patients and seven female patients, ranging in age from 2 to 82 years, all of Haitian nationality, residents of the Los Cocos community, in Enriquillo Barahona.

The patients, including children and adults, are stable, admitted to the Jaime Mota de Barahona and Enriquillo hospitals, where they were hydrated and medicated with the corresponding treatment, achieving their stability; Subsequently, stool samples were taken and sent to the Dr. Defillo National Laboratory, where the results are expected in 48 to 72 hours, to confirm or rule out suspected cholera.

The epidemiological report of the Provincial Health Directorate, to date, notifies that in this very recently created community an epidemiological fence was immediately intervened, for the active search for cases of diarrhea or suspected cholera, as well as the application of antidiarrheal drugs. and planning in the next 24 days of vaccination against cholera, in people who are asymptomatic.

Similarly, the National Institute of Drinking Water and Sewerage (INAPA) closed the water intake for consumption, to be subjected to potability tests, and installed permanent trucks for the residents' use of water.

The Health agency reported that so far it has no evidence or reports of deaths from officially notified cases of cholera. At the same time, it maintains permanent surveillance throughout the area where the diarrheal outbreak was currently registered to prevent the spread of the disease.

The Ministry of Public Health urged the population not to be alarmed and to remain attentive to the reports that are issued.

Communications Directorate MSP.
July 12, 2023


https://www.msp.gob.do/web/?p=16949​
 
Source: https://www.plenglish.com/news/2023...ealth-ministry-reports-one-more-cholera-case/

Dominican Public Health Ministry reports one more cholera case
July 19, 2023 CDT15:52 (GMT) -0400
Published by: Pavel López Lazo

Santo Domingo, Jul 19 (Prensa Latina) Dominican Public Health Ministry on Wednesday confirmed a new case of cholera in the community of Los Cocos, the second case diagnosed in the last four days.

Dr. Gina Estrella, Risk and Disaster Management Department Director, said the case was a Haitian woman, 48, Los Cocos resident.

Past weekend, the Ministry reported that Pelty Reneta, 25, was diagnosed with Vibrio Cholera Serogroup 01, a bacterium known mainly for being responsible for the cholera epidemic.

Reneta, as well as 10 other patients, all Haitians, were tested several days ago after showing an acute case of diarrhea and other symptoms, but she was the only one who came back positive...​
 
Back
Top