• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

'Deep clean' planned for infected hospital wards

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
'Deep clean' planned for infected hospital wards
By KIM THOMAS - The Press | Thursday, 18 October 2007

Wards at Christchurch's Princess Margaret Hospital will get a "deep clean" by a team of mask-wearing experts as they try to remove all traces of a norovirus outbreak.

Two wards at the hospital and one at Burwood Hospital remain closed after an outbreak of the gastroenteritis virus that has hit Christchurch in the past few weeks.

It is hoped the two Princess Margaret wards will reopen by the end of the week.

A total of seven Christchurch wards have been closed over the past few weeks and scores of Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) patients and staff incapacitated by the virus.

The board's clinical director for older persons' health, Jeff Kirwan, said cleaning staff would clean every centimetre of the Princess Margaret wards that were still affected. The work would involve drycleaning all curtains, washing all bedding and disinfecting every surface on the ward.

Kirwan said nine patients and five staff were still infected with suspected norovirus, including a patient aged over 90 who had been in a fragile condition because of contracting the virus.

Otago University associate professor of microbiology Vernon Ward said he was uncertain whether anyone had died through contracting norovirus, but it was suspected in a few cases.

The virus was common and easily spread, he said.

Once the virus got into the body it multiplied and caused intense vomiting and sometimes diarrhoea, Ward said.

Little is known about norovirus despite it being common, with an estimated 53,000 cases in New Zealand every year.

Ward said that there was little known about the virus because it was not able to be created in a laboratory and not able to be studied.

Ward said that he and his team at Otago University had submitted a proposal to the Health Research Council for funds to study similar viruses in the hope they would provide clues to a cure.
 
Re: 'Deep clean' planned for infected hospital wards

An excellent plan. I have been infected thru the workplace twice
in the last two years. It is very discouraging. There is a
good chance of this happening again this winter, no matter how
careful we are at work. It will hit all of the facilities that I
will be working in, one after another like dominoes. Maybe,
I should take a long vacation...
 
Back
Top