• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Death toll increases in Sulawesi (Indonesia) [flooding]

Snowy Owl

Retired in 2010, In Memoriam
Death toll increases in Sulawesi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5100994.stm

At least 185 people are now known to have died in flash floods and landslides in the Indonesian province of South Sulawesi.

The death toll could rise further, as rescue teams continue to find bodies.
More than 120 people are still missing after the floods, and rescuers fear many of them were swept out to sea.


Heavy rains frequently hit tropical Indonesia, triggering floods and landslides, and environmentalists say deforestation can add to the problem. <!-- E SF -->
The floods affected at least seven districts in the province of South Sulawesi, the worst hit area being the district of Sinjai, where at least 175 people are thought to have died.


<!-- S IIMA --> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203"> <tbody><tr><td>
_41792270_indo_sula_sinjai_map203.gif

</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- E IIMA -->One man at Sinjai hospital told the Associated Press that he was swept out to sea when the floodwaters tore through his house early on Tuesday morning.



He survived for nine hours, hanging onto a piece of wood. His wife and two sons, though, are still missing.


Disease risk

Rahman Bando, head of the South Sulawesi branch of the Indonesian Red Cross, said rescue workers were still unable to reach several areas.


"Bridges and roads are broken. We walk in the rivers," he told Reuters news agency.


Rescue worker Moersen Buana also told reporters that diarrhoea and skin diseases were already a problem among local villagers.


"Sanitation is becoming a problem. People can't use regular toilets because water systems are totally destroyed," he said.


Flash floods and landslides usually happen earlier in the year, at the height of the monsoon season.


More than 120 people lost their lives in two separate landslides on Java in January.

 
Indonesian military deploys personnel, equipment to help S Sulawesi floods victims

Indonesian military deploys personnel, equipment to help S Sulawesi floods victims


Indonesian military deploys personnel,
equipment to help S Sulawesi floods victims
http://news.antara.co.id/en/seenws/?id=15014


A statement from the Indonesian Military (TNI) made available here on Wednesday said based on instructions from the chief of the Wirabuana Provincial Military Command, all personnel of the Tudopoli regional military command and the district military commands of Sinjai, Bulukumba, Jeneponto, Bone, Selayar, Bantaeng and Sopeng had been prepared for the operation.

At least 40 troops had been deployed to Bulukumba and the other 33 to Sinjai to help victims and evacuate them.

READ ALSO
Health Ministry Sends Eight Tons Of Medicines To Flood-hit Sinjai
Landslide Damages House In Ambon


The flash floods hit seven districts in South Sulawesi, namely Jeneponto, Bantaeng, Bulukumba, Sinjai, Bone, Gowa and Luwu Utara on June 19 and 20.

The worst hit by the disaster was Sinjai district with the death toll reaching more than 100.

The TNI had also sent three rubber boats to help accelerate the evacuation in Bulukumba and set up three platoon tents to accommodate refugees temporarily.

A public kitchen was also set up in Sinjai and Bulukumba.

Meanwhile, the Indonesian Military Headquarters had prepared 10 rubber boats with 50 personnel and one Cassa airplane in Surabaya.

A Hercules of the Indonesian Air Force has also left Halim Perdana Kusuma Air Force Base to bring the humanitarian aid
from the office of the coordinating ministry for welfare, namely six tons of medicines, 200 body bags, 5,000 sarongs and 5,000 blankets.
 
Back
Top