Re: Daytona Beach: Died Mar. 25th - Obit
A 51-year-old Daytona Beach man's death last week was confirmed Thursday as related to the swine flu, Volusia County's seventh fatality from the new strain, according to the state Health Department.
Frank David Sword had been diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2005. It left his immune system so weakened that the vaccine against the swine flu would have been useless in his case, according to his widow, Carol Sword. He became ill with the swine flu, also known as H1N1, about three weeks ago, she said.
She recalled her husband of 32 years as someone who was willing to help anyone who needed it, especially with mechanical or electrical problems that he enjoyed fixing, along with riding his Harley, operating ham radios and hanging out with the cast of feline characters that live in their home.
"If they tried to pay him (for his fix-it favors) he would tell them to just pass it forward," she said, crying. "He's my soulmate and my life."
Since the virus was discovered in Mexico last April, 215 Floridians' deaths have been ruled as related to swine flu.
The Volusia County Health Department has continued its outreach to distribute the swine-flu vaccine, even though the flu season in this area typically tapers off in April. Swine-flu vaccinations will be available for free to anyone at the Balaskhi Mela Festival at City Island Park from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 10 and The Basilica of St. Paul Health Fair for the same hours on April 11.
The Health Department's outreach team will go to any event or business for vaccinating groups of more than 20 people. Anyone interested is urged to call 866-821-7704.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...04/02/daytona-man-51-dies-from-swine-flu.html