Shiloh
Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.adn.es/internacional/20091017/NWS-0870-Gobierno-reconoce-muertes-cubano-gripe.html
Cuban Government recognizes 7 deaths and nearly 700 cases of influenza A
* EFE
The Cuban Government has recognized seven deaths due to influenza A in the island, where the number infected by the H1N1 virus has now reached to 695 cases, reported Granma daily today.
Last week the Cuban authorities of Health announced the first three deaths from influenza A and confirmed the existence of 621 cases.
Granma today published statements by the Deputy Health Minister Luis Estruch, whereby until Thursday on the island had infected 695 people, of them 203 children.
"The acquisition of new equipment with high diagnostic possibility and have preserved sera from individuals who died earlier this year from acute respiratory infections has made it possible to confirm four deaths," said Estruch, without giving details about the victims.
The first report of deaths-three pregnant women-was unveiled in a television program on the epidemiological situation in the country, during which health officials emphasized the biological and social vulnerability of pregnant women with the disease.
According Estruch, currently have "active investigation" between the groups at high risk of contracting the H1N1 virus, including pregnant women, children under five years and children with disabilities.
Cuba has launched an information campaign in the media and public spaces to describe the symptoms of influenza A and disseminate preventive measures.
Cuban Government recognizes 7 deaths and nearly 700 cases of influenza A
* EFE
The Cuban Government has recognized seven deaths due to influenza A in the island, where the number infected by the H1N1 virus has now reached to 695 cases, reported Granma daily today.
Last week the Cuban authorities of Health announced the first three deaths from influenza A and confirmed the existence of 621 cases.
Granma today published statements by the Deputy Health Minister Luis Estruch, whereby until Thursday on the island had infected 695 people, of them 203 children.
"The acquisition of new equipment with high diagnostic possibility and have preserved sera from individuals who died earlier this year from acute respiratory infections has made it possible to confirm four deaths," said Estruch, without giving details about the victims.
The first report of deaths-three pregnant women-was unveiled in a television program on the epidemiological situation in the country, during which health officials emphasized the biological and social vulnerability of pregnant women with the disease.
According Estruch, currently have "active investigation" between the groups at high risk of contracting the H1N1 virus, including pregnant women, children under five years and children with disabilities.
Cuba has launched an information campaign in the media and public spaces to describe the symptoms of influenza A and disseminate preventive measures.