• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Cruise Ship Has 60 Flu Cases, Company Says No H1N1

Commonground

Senior Moderator
Cruise Ship Has 60 Flu Cases, Company Says No H1N1

August 01, 2009 11:12h

People infected with swine flu are being treated and will stay on board of the `Voyager of the Seas` liner

View of cruise ship Voyager of the Seas, carrying dozens of victims of H1N1 virus, is anchored in bay of Villefranche sur Mer

A cruise ship carrying dozens of possible flu victims among its 5,000 passengers and crew docked in France on Friday, amid contradictory reports about whether they had H1N1 or more common flu-like symptoms.

French authorities said in a statement on Friday morning that the ship had arrived in Villefranche in southern France carrying 60 people infected with the H1N1 strain of flu, also known as swine flu.

They said their information was based on what Spanish authorities had told them.

The Spanish Health Ministry in Madrid said one person who had shown flu-like symptoms had been tested, and confirmed positive for H1N1 after the ship left Barcelona on July 26.

But the ship's owner, U.S.-Norwegian company Royal Caribbean , said all tests had been negative.


Royal Caribbean said it had tested 62 crew members and two guests with cold and flu-like symptoms onboard the "Voyager of the Seas" for influenza A, of which H1N1 is a sub-group.

"All of them were negative for influenza A," said Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez, speaking by telephone from the United States. "Everyone was tested, all the results were negative."

The French statement said 60 crew members were infected with the H1N1 virus and 70 more showed symptoms of the disease.

MEDITERRANEAN TOUR

The ship was continuing from Villefranche to Marseille on Friday night as part of a 7-day Mediterranean tour.

"The reality is that there are cases, it's not severe, it's under control, but there really are cases, otherwise they wouldn't have given Tamiflu to the people," said Francois Xavier Lorre, director at France's DDASS public health authority.

Royal Caribbean's Martinez said every person with flu-like symptoms had been given the anti-viral drug Tamiflu as a precaution, regardless of test results, and added that no passenger had asked for the cruise to be interrupted.

She said Royal Caribbean had provided health declarations for their ship at every port, mentioning the "flu-like symptoms" shown by some people. The ship also stopped in Naples, Italy.

Each passenger has also been given general health and hygiene advice in a letter informing them about the situation, Martinez said. Shares in Royal Caribbean fell as much as 7 percent in Oslo trading after the news, but recovered to close 3 percent down. In New York, they were down less than 1 percent.

ISOLATION

The 64 people who experienced flu-like symptoms will remain in isolation until they are free from symptoms, Royal Caribbean said in a statement.

None of those infected was in a grave condition and the ship did not need additional medical assistance or medication, local authority spokeswoman Geraldine Soulier said.

There have been more than 1,000 confirmed cases of swine flu in France, and the World Health Organisation said earlier this month the virus was still spreading quickly and affecting older age groups that had been spared earlier in the outbreak.

On Thursday, French authorities said a 14-year-old girl infected with H1N1 had died, the first recorded death in France of anyone with the virus.

But they said the girl had suffered from a number of other very serious conditions, and it was not clear whether her death had been caused by the flu virus.


The spread of the H1N1 virus has forced travel companies to change itineraries and has dramatically cut demand for trips to Mexico, where the disease is believed to have originated.

Royal Caribbean, the world's second-largest cruise operator, has been hit by the route changes as well as lower demand.

When it released second-quarter results earlier this week, the company said its 2009 earnings per share were likely to be about a third lower than it forecast only a month ago, in part because of the growing impact of H1N1 flu.
 
Re: Cruise Ship Has 60 Flu Cases, Company Says No H1N1

#1: "People infected with swine flu are being treated and will stay on board of the `Voyager of the Seas` liner"

The others with the supposed 16% of asymptomatic infection spreaders could free roaming the shore ... (?)
 
Re: Cruise Ship Has 60 Flu Cases, Company Says No H1N1

Influenza A/H1N1, quarantine lifted for the passengers of the steamer "Voyagers of the Seas".

1 August, 2009

History:
A cruise ship "quarantine" in Marseille due to influenza A.
The huge ship, with five bridges apparent groundhandling in Villefranche-sur-Mer, in the Alpes-Maritimes, had resumed its journey Friday evening to Marseille.
Passengers on the ship in Nassau (Bahamas) cruise "Voyagers of the Seas, expected Saturday in Marseille, had not been allowed to disembark and were waiting for an epidemiological survey on the influenza A H1N1, which was conducted the arrival of the vessel.
"A board, 60 crew members were affected by the virus of influenza A H1N1. Seventy others showed signs of the disease. Medical surveillance carried aboard detected four passengers affected, "says the Prefecture of the Bouches-du-Rh?ne. The prefect had decided, after contacting the cell of an emergency, the joint Ministry of Interior and Health, to suspend the landing of the crew and cruises at their stopover in Marseilles.
News 1st August 2009:
In a first step, the Prefecture of the Bouches-du-Rh?ne had ordered the crew to keep the ship from Naples on board with 3600 passengers and 1500 crew members.
Passengers on the cruise ship "Voyagers of the Seas" arrived on Saturday in Marseille, were finally allowed to disembark, following the results of the epidemiological survey conducted on board.
146 people remain "in isolation as a preventive measure" according to a spokesman of the prefecture. These are 66 crew, 60 people who were "in contact" and twenty passengers, five of which have "flu-like symptoms." So far, no deadline has been scheduled for the end of this isolation, the doctors will decide on its duration. The epidemiological investigation revealed that the symptoms presented by persons on board, were probably those of a simple seasonal influenza.
Article Source: http://www.lepoint.fr
 
Re: Cruise Ship Has 60 Flu Cases, Company Says No H1N1

Tropical # 2 : Indeed..........:D


Seize up A/H1N1 - Green light for the unloading of the tourists in Marseilles

Automatic translation

Forty will have finally lasted only three hours. The passengers of the steamer of Voyagersoff the Seas arrived Saturday at Marseilles were finally authorized to unload in Marseilles, following the results of the epidemiological investigation led to edge cruising .
146 people remain however “with insulation with preventive measure”, specified a spokesperson of the prefecture. They are 66 team members, of 60 people who were “with the contact” and of twenty passengers, of which five present “grippaux symptoms”. “No time was fixed for the end of this insulation. The doctors will decide his duration”, one added of the same source. The epidemiological investigation revealed that the grippaux symptoms presented by the people on board were probably those of a simple seasonal flu.
Marginal risk of contamination
Only one person was confirmed H1N1, the first day in Barcelona. The tests were carried out in a laboratory of Madrid. She was immediately put at insulation and treated with Tamiflu and she is cured today”, ensured Philippe Ramon, sub-prefect of the Rhone delta. “The medical team and medical considered that there was an extremely marginal risk, and that consequently we were completely in capacity to authorize the unloading”, he added.
Initially, the prefecture of the Rhone delta had decided to consign the crew of the ship, coming from Naples with on its board 3600 passengers and 1500 team members.



http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/imode_lci/0,,4503766,00-les-passagers-du-paquebot-empeche-de-debarque-.html
 
Back
Top