• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Cook Islands: Swine flu checks continue

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
Swine flu checks continue

Thursday 30:

Health authorities have advised that there are no reported human cases of swine influenza identified in the Cook Islands, but it is continuing intensified surveillance for unusual influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia at our borders.

?This includes an in-flight announcement on all in-bound flights to Rarotonga to screen for passengers who may be unwell or have any concerns.

Passengers with any health concerns are encouraged to make themselves known to our health protection team at the airport terminal,? says director of community health services Dr Josephine Herman.

?All passengers will be provided up-to-date information on international developments, measures to protect themselves, and contact details for health services in the Cook Islands should they be required.?

Director of hospital health services Heather Webber-Aitu confirmed that one arriving passenger at the airport went through further screening this week. The man who came off the Pacific Blue flight had been in one of the affected countries and had a cough.

The ministry of health found he did not have swine flu but had asked him to stay at his accommodation while it completed its screening process with a checkup 24 hours later.

Webber-Aitu says arriving passengers are asked two screening questions ? whether they were in an affected area within the past two weeks and if they have symptoms or are feeling unwell. If they answer yes to both of these, a doctor at the airport sees them straight away to expand on the screening.

Under the International Health Regulations (2005), the World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared a public health emergency of international concern in response to human cases of swine influenza A/H1N1, reported in Mexico and the United States of America.

More countries are now reporting confirmed cases including New Zealand where there is a reported further 179 suspected cases. - HG

http://www.cinews.co.ck/local.htm#3
 
Re: Cook Islands: Swine flu checks continue

Flu screening to improve Saturday 2:

The ministry of health is stepping up its efficiency in influenza A (swine flu) airport entry screening this week.

Another meeting of stakeholders in the surveillance and screening process was held yesterday to assess the first week since measures were put in place for incoming international flights from New Zealand and Los Angeles.

Director of community health services and World Health Organisation focal point group leader Dr Josephine Herman, who has just arrived back in the country, has pointed out improvements to the process.

While several health staff have been at the arrival of each flight, their number has been reduced and there will no longer be a doctor present for further screening of passengers unless needed.

Herman stressed that frontline staff need to be protected as in a pandemic they are likely the first people to be affected.

She noted that other international airports are not yet using masks and gloves during initial passenger screening.

Stakeholders here like customs and immigration still want to wear them as a precaution and the ministry has agreed that this will continue for front line staff.

Alcohol gel is now being used for hand washing at the airport as bathroom facilities are limited. Hand washing and other basic hygiene measures are seen as the best way to prevent the spread of the flu.

Herman warns that the pandemic alert for influenza A could continue for many months to come and so a long term approach to the government?s response to the threat is being planned.

?What we are doing right now is buying ourselves time to prepare for the event of an actual case.?


Herman says the smartest thing government can do right now is to use its limited resources wisely. She says conserving stocks of masks and gloves is important as the WHO pandemic alert for influenza A continues.

Those working on the frontline such as key government departments like health, police, and customs will all be first in line for Tamiflu antiviral medication if and when government decides to release stock.

Herman says the Cooks in line with the likes of New Zealand has enough Tamiflu stocked to cover about a third of the population. Health officials have stressed that Tamiflu does not prevent people from getting influenza A, but is so far thought to be one of the only effective medications to treat the flu if given within the first three days of symptoms occurring.

Acting health minister Terepai Maoate Jnr raised the issue this week of protecting the outer islands too.

Now the ministry is considering what measures to take, including exit screening from Rarotonga of all those traveling aboard Air Rarotonga to the outer islands.

Maoate said putting surveillance measures in place for the outer islands is of great concern.

The WHO focal points for the Cook Islands are Dr Herman, chief health inspector William Taripo, clinical quality manager Elizabeth Iro, Dental Services? George Hosking, and Tiria Rere from Agriculture. - Helen Greig

http://www.cookislandsnews.com/2009/May/Wed06/other.htm#20
 
Re: Cook Islands: Swine flu checks continue

June 30

Swine flu checks continue Thursday 30: Health authorities have advised that there are no reported human cases of swine influenza identified in the Cook Islands, but it is continuing intensified surveillance for unusual influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia at our borders.
?This includes an in-flight announcement on all in-bound flights to Rarotonga to screen for passengers who may be unwell or have any concerns. Passengers with any health concerns are encouraged to make themselves known to our health protection team at the airport terminal,? says director of community health services Dr Josephine Herman.
?All passengers will be provided up-to-date information on international developments, measures to protect themselves, and contact details for health services in the Cook Islands should they be required.?
Director of hospital health services Heather Webber-Aitu confirmed that one arriving passenger at the airport went through further screening this week. The man who came off the Pacific Blue flight had been in one of the affected countries and had a cough.
The ministry of health found he did not have swine flu but had asked him to stay at his accommodation while it completed its screening process with a checkup 24 hours later. Webber-Aitu says arriving passengers are asked two screening questions ? whether they were in an affected area within the past two weeks and if they have symptoms or are feeling unwell. If they answer yes to both of these, a doctor at the airport sees them straight away to expand on the screening.
Under the International Health Regulations (2005), the World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared a public health emergency of international concern in response to human cases of swine influenza A/H1N1, reported in Mexico and the United States of America.
More countries are now reporting confirmed cases including New Zealand where there is a reported further 179 suspected cases. - HG

http://www.cookislandsnews.com/2009/May/Wed06/other.htm#20
 
Back
Top