Three cases of H1N1 reported from Hartford Fair
ADVOCATE STAFF REPORT ? August 22, 2009
NEWARK -- The Licking County Health Department has confirmed three more cases of H1N1 flu, all from the Hartford Independent Fair.
During the fair and soon after, several doctors had called the health department reporting cases they suspected to be swine flu, said Chad Brown, director of the Community Health Department.
"Their common link was the fair," Brown said. "It was deemed to be a suspected outbreak or cluster."
Many of the initial cases never were confirmed because the patients already had been treated, but the three patients who do have confirmed cases are resting at home, with full recoveries expected, the department said.
"There is no need for individuals that attended the fair to panic as a result of this information," Licking County Health Commissioner Joe Ebel said. "If these individuals develop flu-like symptoms, they should contact their health care provider and follow their advisement."
The department won't submit any more samples to the Ohio Department of Health from the fair, citing more stringent guidelines from the state. Only samples from people hospitalized with flu-like systems or those associated with a cluster of those cases will be accepted for testing.
It is not clear if the outbreak was concentrated in one particular area at the fair, but Brown said it is unlikely flu was passed from the pigs. Although humans can catch swine flu from being in close proximity to pigs, the strain has been passed primarily through human-to-human contact.
Ebel again emphasized the need for proper handwashing and covering coughs and sneezes to combat any virus. Those who are sick should stay home from work or school until they no longer have a fever or signs of a fever for at least 24 hours. Anyone who is ill and develops signs of a serious illness should seek medical attention immediately.
ADVOCATE STAFF REPORT ? August 22, 2009
NEWARK -- The Licking County Health Department has confirmed three more cases of H1N1 flu, all from the Hartford Independent Fair.
During the fair and soon after, several doctors had called the health department reporting cases they suspected to be swine flu, said Chad Brown, director of the Community Health Department.
"Their common link was the fair," Brown said. "It was deemed to be a suspected outbreak or cluster."
Many of the initial cases never were confirmed because the patients already had been treated, but the three patients who do have confirmed cases are resting at home, with full recoveries expected, the department said.
"There is no need for individuals that attended the fair to panic as a result of this information," Licking County Health Commissioner Joe Ebel said. "If these individuals develop flu-like symptoms, they should contact their health care provider and follow their advisement."
The department won't submit any more samples to the Ohio Department of Health from the fair, citing more stringent guidelines from the state. Only samples from people hospitalized with flu-like systems or those associated with a cluster of those cases will be accepted for testing.
It is not clear if the outbreak was concentrated in one particular area at the fair, but Brown said it is unlikely flu was passed from the pigs. Although humans can catch swine flu from being in close proximity to pigs, the strain has been passed primarily through human-to-human contact.
Ebel again emphasized the need for proper handwashing and covering coughs and sneezes to combat any virus. Those who are sick should stay home from work or school until they no longer have a fever or signs of a fever for at least 24 hours. Anyone who is ill and develops signs of a serious illness should seek medical attention immediately.