• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Chicopee prepares strategy in case swine flu hits schools

Commonground

Senior Moderator
Wednesday September 09, 2009, 8:00 PM


By JEANETTE DeFORGE
jdeforge@repub.com


CHICOPEE - Swine flu could close schools in the city this year, but only in cases where so many children or staff are ill it will disrupt the educational process.

"I will close schools," School Superintendent Richard W. Rege Jr. told the School Committee last week. "It will be a last resort."

The H1N1 virus, known as the swine flu, infects children the most. In Massachusetts, the average age of people infected is 14.


Chicopee schools are among the few in Western Massachusetts to have several cases of the H1N1 virus reported among its student body in the spring.

In June, one student at Gen. John J. Stefanik School contracted the virus, and a week later, a student in Lambert-Lavoie School caught the flu. Schools in Springfield, Agawam and Amherst also reported at least one student infected. None of the children were seriously ill.

School officials are taking precautions to prevent a spread of the disease, Rege said.

Before the Sept. 1 start of school, officials purchased 140 water-free hand sanitizers that will be located throughout the schools. About two years ago, all schools installed them in cafeterias, he said.

Each school will post new signs demonstrating proper hand-washing techniques and a video of hand-washing and etiquette for coughing and sneezing will be shown to students, he said.

"The biggest thing is to reinforce the concept of good hygiene," Rege said.

One process that will be changed is that all students will be required to wash their hands when they enter the computer labs at the schools, he said.

Now that health officials know more about the H1N1 virus, some of the practices followed in the spring will not continue. For example, when the two children were reported to be ill, both schools were intensively sanitized, which will not have to be done because the virus only survives six to seven hours on a surface, Rege said.

That does not mean custodians will not be cleaning, he said. They will be paying extra attention to sanitizing common areas such as hand rails and door knobs, Rege said.

"There is a fine line between prevention and preparation and panic," said Mayor Michael D. Bissonnette, the School Committee chairman.

If a vaccine becomes available, he said it will be administered first to children, medical personnel and teachers, he said.



http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/chicopee_prepares_strategy_in.html
 
Back
Top