• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Cayman has first suspected case of chikungunya

By: Samantha Bonham 27 June, 2014

Just days after health officials put Cayman under a high alert for a chikungunya outbreak, a suspected case of the mosquito-borne virus has emerged, prompting mosquito control officers to target an area of George Town Thursday.

This is the first suspected case of the virus reported in the Cayman Islands. The debilitating mosquito-borne virus has spread rapidly through the Caribbean since it first emerged in the region in December 2013.

According to Cayman public health officials, a George Town resident returned from vacation in a Caribbean Island where the virus has been reported on Sunday, June 22, and was admitted to the Cayman Islands hospital three days later after she began feeling joint pains ? a typical symptom of the illness.

?We had a patient who traveled to one of the countries where chikungunya is going on, and when she came back [to Cayman] she felt joint pain and had a fever, so naturally we admitted her [to the hospital],? said Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kiran Kumar.

On Thursday morning, MRCU staff in protective gear carried out precautionary anti-mosquito fogging treatments at the patient?s home in the area of George Town known as ?Swamp.? They also took mosquito larvae samples from the site.

The director of the Mosquito Research and Control Unit, Dr. William Petrie said, ?As far as this morning?s operation was concerned, it was a precautionary measure as there is an investigation pending by Public Health for a possible case of either chikungunya or dengue fever.?
?From MRCU?s point of view, we?ve taken a proactive approach ? it just made sense because it could turn out to be a case of either, so we?re taking precautionary measures in the particular area ... If it does turn out to be chikungunya or dengue, at least we?ve treated that area,? he added.

Quick action on eradicating Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in an area where a case of chikungunya or dengue has been reported is necessary to prevent the virus from spreading, Dr. Kumar explained.

More: Cayman Compass
 
Re: Cayman Islands has first confirmed case of chikungunya - Imported

Re: Cayman Islands has first confirmed case of chikungunya - Imported

Cayman?s first chikungunya case confirmed

By: Samantha Bonham

02 July, 2014


Laboratory test results have shown that a Cayman Islands resident has chikungunya disease, making this the first confirmed case of the mosquito-borne virus reported in Cayman.

The female patient, who is believed to have contracted the virus overseas, was released from the Cayman Islands Hospital last week and is no longer infectious, according to public health officials.

More: Compass Cayman
 
Re: Cayman Islands has first confirmed case of chikungunya

Re: Cayman Islands has first confirmed case of chikungunya

Two new suspected cases of chikungunya

By: Samantha Bonham |

09 July, 2014


A week after Cayman confirmed its first case of chikungunya, public health officials advised that two more suspected cases of the mosquito-borne virus have emerged.

Officials said in a statement Tuesday that blood work from the two cases had been sent for testing for chikungunya or dengue fever to a Caribbean Public Health Agency laboratory in Trinidad.

More: Cayman Compass
 
Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

First locally acquired case of chikungunya reported

By: Samantha Bonham

23 July, 2014


Health officials have reported the first case of chikungunya contracted locally, in the Savannah area of Bodden Town.

Also, a resident of West Bay is under investigation for the mosquito-borne virus, health officials said Tuesday.

Among the four confirmed cases, ?three have reported a travel history to countries reporting an outbreak, while one had no travel history, suggesting chikungunya was acquired locally,? health officials said in a press release.

The resident with no travel history who contracted the virus from a local mosquito is from the Savannah area in Bodden Town, according to the officials.

Seven suspected cases of the virus have been reported since it was first imported by a George Town resident on June 25. The resident had returned from an island where the virus had been reported.

So far, four chikungunya cases have been reported: one each in George Town and Bodden Town and two in Cayman Brac.

Compass Cayman
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Cayman Islands Government

Chikungunya Update for 28 July

Total cases investigated for chikungunya since 25 June 2014 is 10.

Since the last update on 21 July 2014, there have been three new cases for testing during the week of 22-28 July, 2014, (one resident from West Bay, one resident from George Town and one resident from Cayman Brac).

One result was received this week from the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), which tested positive for chikungunya. The patient has travel history to the Dominican Republic.

The total results received thus far are: out of eight cases tested, five have come back positive and three negative. Two results for blood samples sent on 28 July are pending.

Of the five confirmed cases, four have reported a travel history to countries having an outbreak, (two to Dominican Republic and two to Guyana). One had no travel history, an indication that the infection was acquired locally. There have been no additional confirmed reports of chikungunya being acquired locally for the period July 22- 28.

Distribution of all confirmed cases: George Town - one; Bodden Town (Savannah) - one; West Bay - one and Cayman Brac - two.
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.caymannewsservice.com/health/2014/08/06/three-new-suspect-cases-chikungunya-reported


Three new suspect cases of chikungunya reported
Posted on Wed, 06/08/2014 - 13:15 in Health

(CNS): Despite three new suspected cases of the mosquito borne disease which is spreading around the Caribbean, there has still been only one local transmission in Cayman from five positive cases. Public officials said that so far since the first suspected case in June 13 blood samples have been sent to the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) from patients suspected to have picked up the virus. While three samples are from new patients in West Bay and pending results ten of the samples have been sent back with five negative results and five positive. Four of those people who had contracted chikungunya did so in countries where the disease has taken hold just leaving one person who appears to have picked up the virus locally.

Those who have picked up the virus are from George Town, Savannah, West Bay and Cayman Brac...
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.caymannewsservice.com/health/2014/08/12/cayman-chikungunya-outbreak-contained

Cayman Chikungunya outbreak contained
Posted on Tue, 12/08/2014 - 20:23 in Health

(CNS): With no new cases reported to healthcare services in the Cayman Islands since the end of last month, public officials believe the limited outbreak of chikungunya virus here has been contained. Although a total of 16 cases have been investigated for the mosquito-borne disease since the first suspected case on 25 June, of the 14 blood results received so far only five have come back positive. While one was inconclusive, eight were negative and two blood samples sent between 5 and 11 August are still pending. Four of the five positive patients had travelled to areas where the virus has taken hold and only one person, a resident of Savannah, appeared to have acquired the disease locally.

?The total confirmed cases of chikungunya remain at five as reported on 28 July 2014. ..
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2014/08/20/Three-new-suspected-cases-of-chikungunya/


Three new suspected cases of chikungunya
By: Samantha Bonham | sbonham@pinnaclemedialtd.com
20 August, 2014

Health officials reported Tuesday three new suspected cases of chikungunya have occurred since Aug. 12, while no new confirmed cases have emerged.

Since the debilitating mosquito-borne virus was first reported in Cayman on June 25, 19 cases have been investigated.

According to a government press release, of 15 cases tested, five people in the Cayman Islands have tested positive for chikingunya - including one case that was contracted locally - nine were negative and one was inconclusive.

?No more confirmed cases,? said Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kiran Kumar, ?although additional samples were collected for testing during the past week.? ...
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.caymannewsservice.com/local-news/2014/09/18/sixth-chikungunya-case-identified


Sixth chikungunya case identified
Posted on Thu, 18/09/2014 - 17:04 in Local News

(CNS): Following several weeks with no new cases of chikungunya virus in the Cayman Islands public officials announced that among the results from the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) this week one sample had tested positive. This brings the total number of cases here since the first confirmed case in June, to six. The latest positive sample came from a patient who is no longer infectious and who as recovered from the virus. The person is a George Town resident who had recently travelled to Jamaica. Health officials also stated that among the most recent results another sample was also inconclusive...
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2014/10/23/One-new-imported-chikungunya-case/


One new imported chikungunya case
23 October, 2014

The number of confirmed cases of chikungunya in Cayman rose to 26 this month, but there have been no new locally acquired cases, health officials advised Wednesday.

Of the 26 confirmed cases of the mosquito-borne virus, four occurred locally, while 22 were contracted overseas, public health officials said in their latest update.

A dozen samples from suspected cases were sent to the Caribbean Public Health Agency last week; of those, one tested positive for chikungunya and one for dengue fever, a virus with similar symptoms.

The patient who tested positive for chikungunya is a resident of North Side with travel history to Jamaica. The onset of symptoms was on Oct. 7, health officials said. The patient with dengue is a resident of West Bay who had travel history to Honduras. The onset of that patient?s symptoms was on Oct 1. Neither person is now considered infectious, health officials advised.

Among the 26 confirmed chikungunya cases, 16 were people who recently traveled to Jamaica...
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.caymannewsservice.com/health/2014/10/29/fifth-local-case-chikungunya-confirmed-wb


Fifth local case of Chikungunya confirmed in WB
Posted on Wed, 29/10/2014 - 16:44 in Health

(CNS): A patient from West Bay who has no travel history to countries where chikungunya is endemic has tested positive for the virus, following the return of the latest batch of blood samples sent to Trinidad for testing. The total number of confirmed chikungunya cases in the Cayman Islands has now reached 29 with the majority of people picking up the sickness in Jamaica and other countries experiencing outbreaks. Five people however, have acquired the virus in Cayman which officials say is as a result of mosquitos biting persons who had been infected overseas, then biting another victim locally passing on the virus.

Public health officials said that in 18 of the 29 cases of the virus the patients had been infected in Jamaica, two in the Dominican Republic, three in Guyana and one in St Lucia.

Three new cases were confirmed this week and those patients who tested positive are residents of George Town, Cayman Brac, both of whom acquired the disease in Jamaica while the West Bay patient acquired it locally and whose symptoms began on 11 October.

The last locally acquired case was 20 September...
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.cayman27.com.ky/2014/11/05/more-locally-transmitted-cases-of-chikungunya-confirmed


More locally-transmitted cases of chikungunya confirmed
Posted By Joe Avary and Kevin Watler
Wednesday, 5 November 2014 7:53 pm

Another case of locally-transmitted chikungunya has been confirmed. So far six cases have been confirmed in patients with no travel history out of a total of 30 confirmed cases.

Officials sent 14 samples for testing in the week ending 3 November...
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2014/11/14/Four-new-local-chikungunya-cases-reported/


Four new local chikungunya cases reported
By: Samantha Bonham | sbonham@pinnaclemedialtd.com
14 November, 2014

Four new cases of the mosquito-borne chikungunya virus have been contracted locally, bringing the number of locally transmitted cases to 10, health officials advised Wednesday.

According to the latest release from Cayman?s Public Health Department, a total of 34 local and imported cases of the debilitating virus have been confirmed...
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.caymannewsservice.com/health/2014/11/19/chikungunya-numbers-stable-dengue-cases-increase


Chikungunya numbers stable as dengue cases increase
Posted on Wed, 19/11/2014 - 14:32 in Health

(CNS): Despite expectations that cases of chikungunya would increase in the Cayman Islands as a state of emergency regarding the virus exists in neigbouring Jamaica, public health officials confirmed Wednesday that there were no new cases here over the last week. However Dr Kiran Kumar the Medical Officer of Health urged people not to be complacent as there were two further cases of dengue fever confirmed one of which was in a patient with no travel history. ?With positive chikungunya and dengue cases, it emphasizes the need for the public to protect themselves from mosquito bites and take measures against mosquito breeding,? the doctor added.

?There were six suspected cases of chikungunya during the week 10-17 November 2014 based on symptoms. One had travelled to Jamaica, and five reported no travel history. It is note worthy that the reported cases are on the decline, but we should not be complacent,? he said

The total number of confirmed chikungunya cases in the Cayman Islands remains at 34 to date with 10 locally transmitted cases...
 
Re: Cayman Islands reports first locally acquired case of chikungunya

Source: http://www.caymannewsservice.com/health/2014/11/26/two-more-patients-pick-chikungunya-locally


Two more patients pick up chikungunya locally
Posted on Wed, 26/11/2014 - 18:02 in Health

(CNS): Public health officials said that they received two more positive results for chikungunya virus, this week, from patient blood samples without travel history from the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA). Twelve people have now contracted the disease in Cayman from mosquitos biting infected people and transmitting the virus to another person. Meanwhile, officials have also recorded another case of dengue fever in a patient who presented in October pushing up the cases for this year to four. Two of the cases were acquired locally while others were picked up in Honduras.

In total there have been 36 confirmed case of Chikungunya virus in Cayman with 24 being contracted overseas..
 
Source: https://caymannewsservice.com/chikungunya-cases-on-the-decline/
Chikungunya cases on the decline
Cayman News | 07/01/2015 |

(CNS): Although there is now a clear decline in the number of local and regional chikungunya cases, public health officials are warning people to continue to take precautions against mosquito bites to ensure the situation remains that way. The worst now appears to be over in the recent Caribbean outbreak of the mosquito-transmitted virus and there have been no new reported cases in Cayman of local transmission.

Public health officials received six results of blood tests sent to the Caribbean Public Health Agency and all were negative. A further three samples have been sent for testing in suspected cases where the patients have no travel history to countries experiencing outbreaks.

?This leaves the number of confirmed chikungunya cases to date at 43, with an additional 29 possible cases where individuals became symptomatic after travel to endemic areas,? the Health Services Authority said Wednesday...
 
Back
Top