• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Cases in all provinces

WTB

Resident
Flu hits all provinces with Nfld. case

Health officials in Quebec announced two new deaths from H1N1 in the province over the weekend, bringing the Canadian death toll to six


ANDR? PICARD

From Monday's Globe and Mail, Monday, Jun. 15, 2009 06:45AM EDT

PUBLIC HEALTH REPORTER

The global influenza pandemic marched on through the weekend with reports of the first death outside of the Americas, two more deaths in Quebec and the arrival of the virus in Newfoundland and Labrador, the latest - and last - province or territory to report a confirmed case of influenza A/H1N1.

Public health officials will announce today the pandemic has travelled coast-to-coast-to-coast just seven weeks after the first case was reported.

"As other Canadian jurisdictions have recorded cases of H1N1 influenza, we anticipated it would be only a matter of time before Newfoundland and Labrador recorded its first case," Faith Stratton, the province's chief medical officer of health, said in a statement.

"We should expect to see other cases over the summer months and into the fall flu season," she said, reinforcing the message that the presence of H1N1 should be considered the new normal.

Dr. Stratton said the public should not be "overly concerned" as most cases are mild.

Officials would only say that a man was treated at Grand Falls-Windsor hospital in central Newfoundland and he has since recovered.

Meanwhile, health officials in Quebec announced yesterday that there had been two new deaths from H1N1 flu in the province over the weekend, bringing the Canadian death toll to six.

Alain Poirier, Quebec's director of public health, said a woman in her 50s and a man in his 40s had died of H1N1.

He noted that both suffered from chronic health conditions that made them vulnerable to the virus.

Data from the United States show that virtually all H1N1 deaths have occurred in middle-aged people with chronic health conditions such as diabetes, asthma and chronic pulmonary obstructive disease.

Yesterday also marked another grim milestone, with the first reported H1N1 death outside of the Americas. The Scottish health department said in a statement that a patient had died, but provided no further details except to say he suffered from an underlying health condition.

As of Friday, there had been 145 swine flu deaths reported worldwide. Until the weekend, fatalities had occurred only in eight countries of the Americas: Mexico, the United States, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic and Guatemala.

The latest published data show a total of 3,515 cases of H1N1 influenza across Canada. Worldwide, the number of cases stood at 29,669 as of Friday night.

Both the Public Health Agency of Canada and the World Health Organization will release up-to-date numbers later today and they will be significantly higher.

"There is no evidence that the numbers are going down," Dr. Poirier said. "We haven't yet reached the peak of this epidemic."

In fact, Canada is the country where H1N1 continues to spread most rapidly in the world, followed by Australia and Argentina.

And travellers from Canada are bringing the virus elsewhere. On the weekend, Morocco became the latest country to report H1N1. Both cases in that country were among travellers on a flight from Montreal to Casablanca on June 10.

On Thursday, the WHO declared a phase six pandemic alert (on a scale of six), meaning the world was officially in the midst of a global pandemic of influenza for the first time in four decades.

Health officials stressed, however, that phase six is a reflection of the geographic spread of the virus, not its severity.

But Canadians and international infectious disease experts have stressed that influenza is unpredictable and the virus could grow more lethal over time.


http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/flu-hits-all-provinces-as-nfld-reports-its-first-case/article1181943/
 
Two more cases of swine flu in N.L.

Two more cases of swine flu in N.L.

Two more cases of swine flu in N.L.
Last Updated: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 | 1:20 PM NT Comments4Recommend19CBC News
The Newfoundland and Labrador Health Department has confirmed the province's second and third cases of H1N1.

"With a case confirmed last weekend, we anticipated that other cases would be identified," said Dr. Faith Stratton, the province's chief medical officer of health, in a written statement. "We can expect additional cases as we head into the summer and fall."

Health officials say two children from the same family, both under the age of five, had the H1N1 strain of influenza. They have recovered.

They live in eastern Newfoundland, which includes St. John's. Health officials were not more specific.

On Saturday, a man from Grand Falls-Windsor, in central Newfoundland, was the first person identified with a confirmed case of the H1NI strain of influenza in the province. He has recovered.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2009/06/17/swine-flu-newfoundland-617.html
 
Back
Top