• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Canada - West Nile 2013; 2 fatalities

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Toronto's first death from the West Nile virus confirmed

80-year-old man dies from mosquito-borne virus, number of reported cases dropping

The Canadian Press Posted: Sep 11, 2013 4:45

Toronto Public Health says an 80-year-old man has died of West Nile virus, in the city's first confirmed death due to the mosquito-borne virus this season.

(....)

The number of cases this year is significantly less than last year, when the city reported 94 human cases and one death. The most cases came in 2002 when there were 163 cases and 10 deaths.

As of the end of August, Ontario has recorded six probable and 11 confirmed human cases of West Nile virus.

CBC
 
Re: Canada - Toronto's first death this year from the West Nile virus confirmed

Re: Canada - Toronto's first death this year from the West Nile virus confirmed

September 13, 2013
WEST NILE VIRUS UPDATE #3


Manitoba Health is reporting the death of a male in his 80s, a resident of the Interlake-Eastern Health Region, as a result of West Nile virus. The individual had West Nile virus neurological syndrome, a rare but more serious condition caused by the virus.

It is believed the individual was exposed to West Nile virus in the Interlake-Eastern Health Region during the first half of August. No additional information about this individual will be released to protect his personal health information.

Human cases of West Nile virus (WNV) were first reported in Manitoba in 2003. This is the first death reported since January 2008 and the eighth death since the province began collecting this information.

The province previously reported this year?s first human case of West Nile virus infection on Aug. 22, involving a woman in her 40s who experienced mild symptoms.

The most recent provincial surveillance report showed a significant decrease in the number of Culex tarsalis mosquitoes, which carry the West Nile virus. Although the risk for ongoing human exposures to WNV is minimal at this time of year, it is not zero. With shorter days and cooler temperatures mosquitoes are more likely to bite late in the afternoon and early in the evening. There will continue to be a risk of exposure to WNV until the weather becomes colder or until the first hard frost.

It is still important for Manitobans to reduce the risk of mosquito bites by:

reducing the amount of time spent outdoors during peak mosquito hours;
using appropriate mosquito repellent;
wearing light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing; and
maintaining door and window screens so they fit tightly and are free of holes.
Additional surveillance data and other information on West Nile virus in Manitoba is provided at www.gov.mb.ca/health/wnv/. Manitobans may also contact Health Links?Info Sant? at 204-788-8200 or 1‑888‑315-9257 (toll-free) for more information.
http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?archive=&item=18850
 
Re: Canada - West Nile 2013; 2 fatalities

10 West Nile cases confirmed in Alberta

5 cases reported from mid- to late-August

CBC News Posted: Sep 16, 2013

Health officials say 10 cases of West Nile virus have now been confirmed in southern Alberta this summer.

Five of the cases were reported from mid- to late-August, with the most recent one involving a man in his 40s.
 
Back
Top