From the Guardian, the source that generated the loud alarm back in early January. Dr. Marrero seems very upset by today's announcement.
Victims dismayed as Canadian inquiry finds mystery syndrome does not exist | Canada | The Guardian
[snip]
Marrero wrote that he had a
backlog of 100 patients referred to him by other doctors whose symptoms appeared to fit the case description, but lacked the resources to investigate each case. Marrero wrote that he was “quite concerned” by
how many young people were in that backlog of cases.
Officials at Thursday’s press conference
disputed they had been advised that multiple households had more than one member showing neurological symptoms. But Marrero’s letter warned of at least 12 households with multiple cases, a finding he said raised concerns over “potential human-to-human transmission or a possible common root cause” of the suspected illness.
“With these latest developments, I am concerned for my patients and, from a public health standpoint, for the general population,” he wrote. “I believe there is an urgency to act promptly and use all means necessary to investigate and get to the roots cause or causes of the above issues.”
Kat Lanteigne, executive director of
Bloodwatch, said officials presenting the report had “misled the public” about the scope of possible cases, and said the latest report lacked scientific rigour.
“It’s a sham. It’s an absolute public health sham,” said Kat Lanteigne, executive director of
Bloodwatch. “They haven’t done any additional testing. They have not tested for neurotoxins. They did not run a control group for their epidemiological study. Their data is wholly insufficient.”
Experts have previously told the Guardian it is possible for patients to have known diseases that are triggered by a common cause.