• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

C. difficile linked to 13 B.C. hospital deaths

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/04/07/bc-c-difficile-nanaimo-deaths.html


Superbug linked to 2 B.C. hospital deaths
Last Updated: Thursday, April 8, 2010 | 7:12 AM ET
CBC News

Two patients at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital have died after an outbreak of the C. difficile bacterium.

Thirteen other patients are also infected with the so-called superbug, according to the Vancouver Island Health Authority.

The authority said Wednesday that the two patients who died were elderly and had underlying medical conditions...


Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/04/07/bc-c-difficile-nanaimo-deaths.html#ixzz0kVowjMBo
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 5 B.C. hospital deaths

Re: C. difficile linked to 5 B.C. hospital deaths

Source: http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/92188479.html

Two more deaths in Nanaimo C. diff outbreak investigated
By Jenn Marshall - Nanaimo News Bulletin

Published: April 27, 2010 8:00 AM
Updated: April 27, 2010 10:28 AM


The Clostridium difficile outbreak at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital has regained momentum with two more deaths.

Three new cases were identified Monday. In two of those cases, the patients died before infection was confirmed.

Although five patients with C. diff have died since the outbreak began, four of those deaths are under investigation to determine what role the bacterium played. A total of 21 patients have been infected in the last month.

The latest deaths occurred on April 20 and 22. Two earlier deaths are also under investigation and the bacterium was deemed by health officials to be directly responsible for a fifth death.

The outbreak began on March 29...
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 5 B.C. hospital deaths

Re: C. difficile linked to 5 B.C. hospital deaths

Source: http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/nanaimonewsbulletin/news/94950824.html

Clostridium difficile contributed to two deaths, caused third
others also read...
Nanaimo News Bulletin


By Jenn Marshall - Nanaimo News Bulletin
Published: May 26, 2010 4:00 PM

Doctors have determined that infection with Clostridium difficile was a contributing factor in two patient deaths at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital.

Medical reviews of five of the six patients who had C. diff when they died are now completed. Medical reviews of three other patients were completed two weeks ago, which found one death was caused by C. diff, while the other two deaths were due to other medical problems...
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 75 B.C. hospital deaths

Re: C. difficile linked to 75 B.C. hospital deaths

Source: http://www.canada.com/NRGH+still+battling+with+deadly+outbreak/3130853/story.html

NRGH still battling with deadly outbreak
The Daily News June 9, 2010

The Vancouver Island Health Authority confirmed three new cases of Clostridium difficile found at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, bringing the total number to 32 patients in this latest outbreak that was declared March 29...
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 7 B.C. hospital deaths

Re: C. difficile linked to 7 B.C. hospital deaths

Source: http://www.canada.com/difficile+continues+rise+Nanaimo+hospital/3146536/story.html

C. difficile continues to rise at Nanaimo hospital


Daily News June 12, 2010


The Vancouver Island Health Authority reported two new cases of Clostridium difficile at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital yesterday.

The latest numbers bring the total number of infections to 34 during this latest outbreak that began March 31. This is the third outbreak to hit the hospital in the past two years.

The hospital has reported one new death in the past week, bringing total deaths of people with C. difficile to eight.
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 8 B.C. hospital deaths

Re: C. difficile linked to 8 B.C. hospital deaths

Source: http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=9ab48228-114b-4190-9d37-82571347c87b

Deadly disease drags on at NRGH
Derek Spalding, The Daily News
Published: Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The latest outbreak of Clostridium difficile at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital has been difficult to control as numbers continue to inch higher, according to information from the Vancouver Island Health Authority.

Another patient infection at NRGH was identified on Monday, bringing the total number of infections to 35. Eight people with C. difficile have died since the latest outbreak was declared March 31...
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 9 B.C. hospital deaths

Re: C. difficile linked to 9 B.C. hospital deaths

Source: http://www.timescolonist.com/Another+difficile+patient+dies+NRGH/3188022/story.html

Another C. difficile patient dies at NRGH


The Daily News June 22, 2010 4:36 PM



Another patient with Clostridium difficile has died during the latest outbreak of the deadly disease at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, bringing the total number of deaths to nine.

Not all the deaths have been directly linked to C. difficile, a bacterium that colonizes in a person's bowel. Five deaths have been unrelated to the disease, according to medical reviews.

C. difficile was directly attributed to one death and it contributed to the death of two other patients.

The Vancouver Island Health Authority was hoping to declare the outbreak over a few weeks ago, but the persistent disease has continued to spread for nearly three months. Thirty-six people have been infected during the outbreak that began March 31. Nine people with the infection remain in hospital...

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Another+difficile+patient+dies+NRGH/3188022/story.html#ixzz0rdIgWe5P
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 9 B.C. hospital deaths

Re: C. difficile linked to 9 B.C. hospital deaths

Two more patients with C. diff die at Nanaimo hospital

By Jenn Marshall - Nanaimo News Bulletin
Published: July 13, 2010 9:00 AM

Two more patients at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital with Clostridium difficile have died, bringing the total deaths to 13 since the outbreak began March 29.

That latest death was reported July 5, while the other occurred June 24, but was inadvertently excluded from the count.

Of the 13 deaths, two were directly caused by infection with C. diff. The bacterium played a role in two others and eight deaths were caused by other medical problems.

One death is still under review.

One new case was also reported July 12, bringing the total to 39 cases since the outbreak began.


http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/nanaimonewsbulletin/news/98281739.html
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 13 B.C. hospital deaths

NRGH takes new measures to fight spread of infection

Nanaimo health care facility considering new options, says VIHA

Derek Spalding, Daily News
Published: Saturday, July 31, 2010

Infection control experts say they may need to cancel some non-emergency surgical procedures in order to get control of the ongoing outbreak of Clostridium difficile at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital, though that option would be a last resort.

Doctors, nurses and housekeeping staff are feeling stressed by the ongoing spread of the deadly disease, which has infected 47 patients since the outbreak was declared March 31.

Overcrowding at the hospital continues to hamper housekeepers efforts to keep up with cleaning and it has put an additional strain on nursing staff, who have to follow meticulous protocol visiting patients, according to infection control experts with the Vancouver Island Health Authority. The disease continues to persist, particularly in the emergency department and in areas where elderly people stay.

...

Much more:
http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=8b2b784b-4b03-4f08-9f3b-09d22502a7e5
 
Re: C. difficile linked to 13 B.C. hospital deaths

Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...atients+over+hospital+says/3440171/story.html

Disease outbreak that killed 2 patients is over, hospital says
By Derek Spalding, Postmedia News August 25, 2010 1:11 AM


Nanaimo Regional General Hospital has eliminated the latest outbreak of Clostridium difficile, after nearly five months of battling the infection that colonizes in a person's bowel and causes diarrhea, nausea and fever.

The deadly disease infected 49 patients and was directly attributed to two patients' deaths since the outbreak was declared March 29. It also contributed to two other deaths. A total of 13 people who had C. difficile died during the outbreak.

Overcrowding at the hospital hampered housekeepers' efforts and put an additional strain on nursing staff, who have to follow meticulous protocol visiting patients, according to infection control experts with the Vancouver Island Health Authority...

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...ospital+says/3440171/story.html#ixzz0xcT4ftyv
 
Back
Top