Mary Wilson
Well-known member
Posted: Jan 06, 2023 6:32 PM CST | Last Updated: January 7
Karin Larsen
A program designed to compensate Canadians for vaccine injuries has paid out $2.779 million since it started accepting claims 19 months ago.
According to the Vaccine Injury Support Program (VISP) website, 50 of 1,299 claims submitted so far have been approved, with 18 rejected claims under appeal as of Dec. 1, 2022. Claims are approved when a medical review board determines a probable link between a recent Health Canada-authorized vaccine and "serious and permanent injury."
According to Edward Maier, senior case manager with VISP, not all of the 50 approved claims have completed payment processing. Maier declined to say how many claims account for the $2.779 million, stating, "The only statistics available regarding the VISP are available on our website."
Lake Country, B.C.'s Ross Wightman was one of the first claimants approved by the VISP. The 41-year-old was hospitalized with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) — a rare and sometimes fatal condition that affects the nervous system — just days after his first and only dose of an Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
"I'm told by the program that I'm the first person for everything related. So I'm the tip of the sword," he said.
The VISP covers Canadians who received a vaccine in Canada on or after Dec. 8, 2020, excluding those vaccinated in Quebec, where a provincial program exists.
More than 96 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in Canada. Health experts note the risks associated with contracting COVID-19 far outweigh the risks of vaccination. ...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...accine-injuries-compensation-canada-1.6704655
Karin Larsen
A program designed to compensate Canadians for vaccine injuries has paid out $2.779 million since it started accepting claims 19 months ago.
According to the Vaccine Injury Support Program (VISP) website, 50 of 1,299 claims submitted so far have been approved, with 18 rejected claims under appeal as of Dec. 1, 2022. Claims are approved when a medical review board determines a probable link between a recent Health Canada-authorized vaccine and "serious and permanent injury."
According to Edward Maier, senior case manager with VISP, not all of the 50 approved claims have completed payment processing. Maier declined to say how many claims account for the $2.779 million, stating, "The only statistics available regarding the VISP are available on our website."
Lake Country, B.C.'s Ross Wightman was one of the first claimants approved by the VISP. The 41-year-old was hospitalized with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) — a rare and sometimes fatal condition that affects the nervous system — just days after his first and only dose of an Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
"I'm told by the program that I'm the first person for everything related. So I'm the tip of the sword," he said.
The VISP covers Canadians who received a vaccine in Canada on or after Dec. 8, 2020, excluding those vaccinated in Quebec, where a provincial program exists.
More than 96 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in Canada. Health experts note the risks associated with contracting COVID-19 far outweigh the risks of vaccination. ...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...accine-injuries-compensation-canada-1.6704655