• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Bid to prevent flu concert panic

pablomorgan

Well-known member
The Scottish Government has defended its decision not to tell hundreds of concertgoers that Britain's first swine flu victim was in the audience days before being diagnosed.

Newlywed Iain Askham, 27, went to see the rock band Doves at an Edinburgh venue on April 23 after returning from his honeymoon in Cancun, Mexico.

Mr Askham was among the crowd at the 1,500-capacity HMV Picture House in Lothian Road two days after flying home, but told The People newspaper he had been advised not to reveal he had been at the concert.

He said: "I told them everything when I was in hospital. They suggested it was best not to mention it to anyone else so as not to cause any panic."

Asked whether he thought it was the right decision to make, he added: "That's not something I want to comment on. It's been a worrying time. I hope things get back to normal soon."

A Scottish Government spokesperson said: "In line with Health Protection Scotland guidance, close contacts are followed up whenever any probable or confirmed cases are identified, to offer advice and where appropriate antivirals.

"We are aware that Mr Askham did attend a concert on April 23 - before he was being treated - but this would not be classed as close contact. The risk of spread to others who were around him is low, and it is important to stress that the risk to public health in Scotland remains low."

There are now three confirmed cases of swine flu in Scotland, Mr Askham and his new wife Dawn, 24, in Polmont, and friend Graeme Pacitti, 24, who lives in nearby Falkirk. There are 15 cases across the UK overall.

A new probable case is being investigated in the Ayrshire area of the country after a man flew back home from Texas in the US via Birmingham last week.

There are also 19 possible cases in Scotland, people showing symptoms and undergoing tests. This is down from 29 previously, but includes nine new cases.

Copyright ? 2009 The Press Association. All rights reserved.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iy7jPixVLEno8OkgLVHhWmGamiNw
 
Back
Top