• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Barbados - Cases - Deaths- 3

FrenchieGirl

Senior Moderator
Teenager is Barbados' first swine flu case


Barbados' acting Health Minister Senator Irene Sandiford-Garner says there is no need to panic even though one case of the swine flu virus has been confirmed in the island. (BGIS photo)


BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, June 4, 2009 - Even as a 19-year-old male with no travel history was confirmed as Barbados' first case of the H1N1 virus, the authorities were urging calm and seeking to assure the public that the situation is "controllable".

Acting Health Minister Senator Irene Sandiford-Garner, who said the case was confirmed in testing done by the laboratory of the Caribbean Epidemiology Research Centre (CAREC), revealed that the Barbadian teenager has a mild case of the virus, commonly called the swine flu virus, and has therefore not been hospitalised.

She explained that he is under quarantine at his home. The young man's identity has not been released.

Barbados is the fourth country in the English-speaking Caribbean to confirm the virus that has already claimed 117 lives in other parts of the world.

Jamaica has confirmed two and the Bahamas and Bermuda one each. But unlike the case in Barbados, all three of those persons recently travelled to the United States where over 10,000 cases have been reported.

But both the acting Health Minister and senior medical officer Dr Elizabeth Ferdinand have called for calm.

Although acknowledging that the authorities were unable to keep the disease at bay, Sandiford-Garner said there has been increased surveillance at the island's ports and no effort is being spared to prevent the spread of the virus.

"Our public health officials will continue to undertake all protective measures as are needed at this time," she said.

"Fortunately for us, the Ministry has been proactive and we have trained some 2400 Barbadians, in an effort to deal with this situation, should it have occurred. We are confident that this situation is controllable," she said.

Also urging Barbadians not to panic, Dr Ferdinand added that medical authorities are on top of the situation.

She has encoaurged citizens to continue good hygiene practices, including covering noses and mouths when coughing and sneezing, proper disposal of tissues and thorough hand washing.

More than 19,000 cases of the H1N1 virus have been recorded so far.

The H1N1 virus can be easily transmitted from person to person, but most persons who become ill with this condition are likely to experience only mild forms of illness. The symptoms are similar to regular influenza and include: fever, chills, cough, stuffy nose, headache, fatigue, sore throat, body aches and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.
 
Re: Barbados - Cases - 73

Re: Barbados - Cases - 73

Source: http://www.prensa-latina.cu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119602&Itemid=1

Google translation:

Reported 73 cases of influenza A (H1N1) in Barbados
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009

September 23, 2009, 15:30 Bridgetown, Sep 23 (Prensa Latina)
Barbados today recorded a total of 73 confirmed cases with influenza A (H1N1) and an increase in people with symptoms of the disease, revealed officials of the Ministry of Health.

According to agency official, Joy St John, the 16 more serious patients were hospitalized and no deaths yet.

He added that increasing numbers of people with fever, persistent cough and sore throat that come to the country's eight polyclinics and Accident and Emergency Department at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

This situation has generated an unusual absenteeism in the workplace and teachers from Barbados.

Education sector alone reported missing school of 400 students with flu symptoms.

The World Health Organization today recorded 486 more than three thousand deaths from the pandemic.

That organization also contends that the virus has not presented mutations, which offers greater possibility to cope.

rc / ymr
 
Re: Barbados - Cases - Deaths-1

Re: Barbados - Cases - Deaths-1

Source: http://www.prensa-latina.cu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122506&Itemid=1

Google translation:
Increase in cases of influenza A in Barbados

friday, 02 of 2009 of octubre

02 of October 2009, 15:49 Bridgetown, Oct 2 (Prensa Latina) The number of confirmed cases with influenza A (H1N1) grew to 112 in Barbados today, authorities revealed the Ministry of Health.

According to an official of the agency Joy St John, an increase of 16 infected patients and also increased the number of people with symptoms of the disease.

To date, only registered here the death of an elderly woman with chronic medical problems.

St. John stressed the need for extreme preventive measures such as frequent hand washing and use of face masks in public spaces.

Asked to avoid crowded places, more particularly, pregnant women, children under five years, seniors and people with severe illnesses.

The Ministry of Health to include such persons in groups at high risk and will first be immunized against the pandemic vaccine when it hits the market.

According to the latest report from the World Health Organization, there are 917 three thousand deaths from influenza A (H1N1) and more than 300 thousand cases confirmed globally.

rc / car / ymr
 
Re: Barbados - Cases - Deaths- 2

Re: Barbados - Cases - Deaths- 2

Source: http://www.prensa-latina.cu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=123444&Itemid=1

Second Person Dies in Barbados influenza A
tuesday, 06 of 2009 of octubre

06 of October 2009, 12:41 Bridgetown, Oct 6 (Prensa Latina) Barbados today the second recorded death from influenza A (H1N1) infected and the number increased to 114, confirmed officials from the Ministry of Health.

The official sector Joy St. John stated that this is an adult with chronic medical problems.

On September 29 he died an old woman with similar health conditions.

At the second death in the Caribbean island, St. John stressed the need for extreme preventive measures, in particular, frequent hand washing and use of face masks in public spaces.

He warned people with high fever, cough and sore throat pain, the main signs of the illness, stay home and visit health centers only when these symptoms persist and become more pronounced for more than 24 hours.

He also stressed pregnant women, children under five, the elderly and people with severe illnesses to avoid crowded places.

These people are included in high-risk groups and will first be immunized against the pandemic when the country gets the vaccine.

The World Health Organization reports to date, more than three thousand 900 deaths due to influenza A (H1N1) and more than 300 thousand cases confirmed globally.

mgt / car / ymr
 
Re: Barbados - Cases - Deaths- 3

Source: http://www.nationnews.com/news/local/Third--H1N1-death-copy-for-web

Third H1N1 death, 147 cases
Published on: 10/16/2009.


BARBADOS HAS RECORDED its third Influenza A H1N1 death.

In a Ministry of Health release yesterday, Chief Medical Officer Dr Joy St John said there were now 147 confirmed cases, inclusive of the death.

She confirmed that this death, like the previous two, had occurred in an adult with underlying medical conditions. She stressed that as seen internationally, those with certain medical conditions were at higher risk of illness or death.

St John reiterated that the number of confirmed cases was only a fraction of those likely to have contracted the illness, since not all individuals presenting with flu-like symptoms were being tested.

She said though the ministry's surveillance system had detected a moderate decline in the number of people going to health care facilities with flu-like symptoms over the past week as compared to the surge of two weeks earlier, this number was still above average.

St John also said that Tamiflu, the antiviral drug of choice for treatment of those at higher risk for complications from H1N1, was being sold at private pharmacies.

However, the ministry supplies Tamiflu free of cost to Barbadians at polyclinics and it is also available free to those seen by private doctors if a Specially Authorized Drug form and Barbados Drug Service prescription are presented to any polyclinic pharmacy. (BGIS/DS)
 
Back
Top