• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Bangladesh: WFP deploy team to probe Khagrhachhari children's food poisoning

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://bdnews24.com/details.php?id=86043&cid=2

WFP deploy team to probe Khagrhachhari outbreak
Tue, Jun 2nd, 2009 9:02 pm BdST


Khagrhachharhi, June 2 (bdnews24.com)?The World Food Programme has deployed a team of experts to investigate an outbreak of illness among school children in Khagrachhari, reportedly caused by high energy fortified biscuits provided by WFP as part of a school feeding programme.

"Our prime concern is for the affected children and we take any possibility of a food related illness very seriously," said John Aylieff, WFP Bangladesh representative, on Tuesday.

"WFP gives highest priority to the quality and safety of the food we distribute," he said, adding that WFP is awaiting the result of independent lab tests to verify scientifically whether the biscuits are the cause of the problem.

The students, who had fallen sick on Monday, were discharged from local hospitals on Tuesday after treatment.

Local civil surgeon, Dr Abu Taher, said the students were recovered.

The biscuits in question have been sent to Dhaka for laboratory tests, he said.

At least 428 primary school students suffered food poisoning, in two remote upazilas of the district, Laxmichhari and Mohalchhari, after eating the biscuits, said local officials.

Most were admitted to upazila health complexes. Some were taken to Chittagong Medical College Hospital.

Dr Taher told bdnews24.com on Monday that the children had been suffering from stomach ache and diarrhoea.

Laxmichhai upazila chairman Ramrachay Chowdhury said children of Monghapara, Jaindrapara, Debolchhari and Jharolchhari were the worst affected in number.

District civil surgeon and deputy commissioner Md Khalilur Rahman and local officials visited the areas.

WFP distributes food among primary school children, in partnership with local NGO Kabidang, under a schools feeding programme.

bdnews24.com/corr/wz/bd/rah/1914h.
 
Back
Top