• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Baby E.coli case closes nursery (South Wales)

ukcz

Well-known member
Baby E.coli case closes nursery

A new E.coli alert in south Wales has led to 43 primary school pupils being told to stay home as a precaution.

An 11-month-old child living in Rhondda Cynon Taf (RCT) has contracted the O157 strain of the disease, it has emerged.

The child is linked a three-year-old boy in the nursery at St Illtyd's Primary school in Merthyr Tydfil.

Last year 150 people were affected by an outbreak in south Wales and one boy died but officials said there was "no evidence" of a new outbreak.

Meanwhile in Scotland, a fourth toddler is seriously ill in hospitals with a suspected case of E.coli. All four children attend the Careshare nursery at Lauder College in Dunfermline, Fife.

Dr Gwen Lowe, of the National Public Health Service for Wales (NPHS), said the three-year-old in south Wales had had "heavy diarrhoea" at school.

As a result of this, 43 pupils from the roman catholic primary school's reception and nursery classes were being told to stay at home because of possible contact with the youngster.

She said children would be allowed to return to class after submitting two negative samples for E.coli - submitted 48 hours apart.

She added that the affected boy had not consumed school meals.

Schools meals has been put forward as a cause of an E.coli outbreak last year in which more than 150 people, mostly schoolchildren fell ill and a five-year-old boy died.

Dr Lowe added that the source of the single newly confirmed case in RCT, the 11-month-old, was being investigated and the parents of the two children had been interviewed.

She said parents at the school had also been provided with sampling kits.

"A letter has been sent home with each of the children to explain the action being taken," she added.

"Staff from the NPHS and Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council were at the school on Wednesday afternoon meeting with parents, handing out sample pots and answering questions.

"Parents with children who are ill with sickness and diarrhoea should not send them to school until they have been well for two full days. If a parent is concerned about the health of their child they should contact their GP."

The school, in Dowlais, has 147 pupils, with 43 in the nursery and reception classes.

The 2005 E.coli outbreak was initially reported in Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr Tydfil, but later spread to Bridgend and Caerphilly affecting children at 42 schools.

The outbreak was first reported on 10 September before being declared over on 20 December.

A current outbreak in Dunfermline, Fife, has left four toddlers ill in hospital with suspected cases of E.coli O157.

Advice is available from NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or from the NPHS and Merthyr County Borough Council websites.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4760197.stm
 
This is a previous outbreak, not related to the above

This is a previous outbreak, not related to the above

Timeline: South Wales E.coli outbreak
A day-by-day account of the south Wales E.coli outbreak, detected in September 2005.

Saturday 10 September: The first cases of E.coli are reported.

Friday 16: National Public Health Service for Wales is notified of cases and declares an outbreak.

Sunday 18: Seven linked cases confirmed by Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr councils.

Monday 19: Cases rise to 23 and officials warn of further rise.

Tuesday 20: Cases rises to 41 in 19 schools as school canteens ruled out as source.

Wednesday 21: 56 cases in 25 schools and outbreak linked with Bridgend food supplier John Tudor and Son.

Thursday 22: Cases up to 68 as health officials move to quell public fears.

Friday 23: Official inquiry ordered; cases reach 75.

Saturday 24: Parents call for inquiry to be fully public; 108 cases in 31 schools.

Sunday 25: First Minister Rhodri Morgan pledges transparent inquiry; 115 cases in 32 schools.

Monday 26: Number of cases rises to 117; Welsh Health Minister Brian Gibbons says he believes the "peak is over".

Tuesday 27: Cases up to 122, but officials say outbreak in decline.

Wednesday 28: Assembly sets up cross-party committee to decide type of inquiry; cases reach 144.

Thursday 29: Cases reach 152; John Tudor and Son of Bridgend releases statement saying a second test for E.coli at its premises is negative.

Friday 30: Cases reach 156; one new school is affected - Mountain Ash Comprehensive.

Tuesday 4 October: Mason Jones, five, dies at Bristol Children's Hospital. Children's minister Jane Hutt pledges 'no holds barred' inquiry. New cases are still being confirmed but other suspect cases are taken off the total, leaving 157 in 42 schools.

Wednesday 5: Police confirm there will be an official investigation after the death of Mason Jones.

Thursday 6: First school closes after suspected case at Glenboi primary.

Friday 7: Officials deny closure of Glenboi Primary School is a policy U-turn. Meeting held between health officials and parents at the school where home test kits for E.coli are issued. The premises of meat supplier John Tudor and Son of Bridgend, who have been linked to the outbreak, are sealed off by police.

Sunday 9: Number of cases at 157. Health officials say it is still clear that the majority fell ill before control measures were in place.

Tuesday 11: There are fears the E.coli outbreak has spread to an old people's home after a worker contracted the illness. A number of elderly people at the Ty Clyd home in Bargoed have also been tested.

Monday 17: Funeral of five-year-old Mason Jones, who died in the outbreak, is held in Deri, near Bargoed.

Thursday 27: Meat supplier John Tudor and Son of Bridgend appeals in court against the council order which forced it to close. The High Court judge in Swansea reserves his ruling and says the firm may learn next week if it can resume trading.

Tuesday 1 November: Number of cases reaches 161. Sharon Mills, the mother of E.coli victim Mason Jones, says lessons must be learnt from his death.

Saturday 5: Abercynon Infants School in Rhondda Cynon Taf is closed after four cases are found in pupils. The source is not known. Public health officials revise the number of cases to 159. The number of schools affected stands at 42.

Wednesday 9: Food safety expert Professor Hugh Pennington, who carried out an inquiry into an E.coli outbreak in Scotland in 1996 which killed 17 people, is chosen to head the Welsh assembly's inquiry into the south Wales cases.

Thursday 10: Abercynon Infants School in Rhondda Cynon Taf re-opens. Only pupils who have been confirmed as clear of E.coli are allowed to return to the school.

Sunday 13: Puffins private nursery in Brecon is closed after cases of E.coli are detected there, but subsequent investigation reveals there is no connection with the south Wales outbreak, where the number of cases stands at 168.

Thursday 24: A prohibition order against John Tudor and Son of Bridgend is quashed, but the firm will not be able to resume trading until officials are satisfied its premises are safe.

Monday 12 December:
John Tudor and Son of Bridgend resumes trading.

Tuesday 20: Health officials declare that the outbreak is over.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4284852.stm
 
Back
Top