• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

AZ got 23,800 doses of now-recalled H1N1 vaccine for kids

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
AZ got 23,800 doses of now-recalled H1N1 vaccine for kids: But health officials say there are no safety worries

[The Arizona Daily Star, Tucson]

Dec. 15--State health officials say 23,800 doses of recalled H1N1 vaccine were shipped to Arizona, but that there are no safety concerns.

Vaccine maker Sanofi-Aventis said today it would recall 800,000 doses of pediatric H1N1 injectable swine flu vaccine because it is not as potent as it should be.

But the medical director of the Arizona Department of Health Services' immunization program says parents don't need to worry, nor do they need to get their children re-vaccinated.

Dr. Karen Lewis said the vaccines were for children between the ages of 6 months and 3 years. In an interview today, she did not have specific details about where in the state the shipments went. Medical providers who received the vaccines are being asked to send unused doses back to the manufacturer.

Arizona has received 1.6 million doses of H1N1 vaccine since it became available in October.

"It's a quality control issue," Lewis said of the recall. "In terms of how people respond to the vaccines, it should be fine. It shows just how safe the process is. ... The drop in level is so slight that it's not expected to have any effect on immunity. It's been recalled out of extra caution."

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control estimates that swine flu has killed 10,000 Americans since it emerged earlier this year.

The Pima County Health Department is recommending that providers make the vaccine available to the entire population, not only those in high-risk groups. Several providers, including Walmart in conjunction with Mollen Immunization Clinics, are already giving out vaccines for $15 with no restrictions on who gets them.

To see more of The Arizona Daily Star, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.azstarnet.com.

Copyright (c) 2009, The Arizona Daily Star, Tucson

http://investing.businessweek.com/r...Tribune||provider||ACQUIREMEDIA&symbol=LLY:US
 
Back
Top