Sally Furniss
Well-known member
<headline>Swine flu outbreak closes school</headline>
<!-- Insert Article Content --> <!-- Article Details -->
A fourth case of swine flu has been confirmed in Melbourne.
The case comes as authorities closed Clifton Hill Primary School, in Melbourne's inner north, for two days after an two pupils were confirmed to have contracted the virus yesterday.
Victoria's acting chief health officer Rosemary Lester said the fourth case was a woman, 54, from Mexico, who flew into Melbourne via Sydney on the weekend.
There have been now six confirmed cases in Australia, the other two being in NSW and in Queensland.
Dr Lester said the woman went to hospital with flu symptoms yesterday but was well enough to be sent home. She and her family were now under quarantine. Dr Lester said she did not know where the woman was staying.
Health Minister Daniel Andrews has confirmed tests on a Victorian woman had confirmed she had contracted the H1N1 virus. The fourth case is unrelated to the three young brothers confirmed to have H1N1
Cllifton Hill Primary principal Geoff Warren this morning said the school, and state health and education departments, had taken the decision last night to close the school after three brothers returned from a trip to Disneyland with swine flu.
Two of the brothers attend the school. Their classes were quarantined yesterday after they were confirmed to have contracted the H1N1 virus.
Mr Warren said it was unlikely other pupils had been exposed to the virus.
"The concern is there," he said. "It's at a low level to be honest, but we need to be extremely cautious in this sort of situation, with the discussions worldwide about the potential for a pandemic from this,'' Mr Warren told the Nine Network.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/swine-flu-outbreak-closes-school-20090521-bfyw.html
<!-- Insert Article Content --> <!-- Article Details -->
- May 21, 2009 - 8:35AM
A fourth case of swine flu has been confirmed in Melbourne.
The case comes as authorities closed Clifton Hill Primary School, in Melbourne's inner north, for two days after an two pupils were confirmed to have contracted the virus yesterday.
Victoria's acting chief health officer Rosemary Lester said the fourth case was a woman, 54, from Mexico, who flew into Melbourne via Sydney on the weekend.
There have been now six confirmed cases in Australia, the other two being in NSW and in Queensland.
Dr Lester said the woman went to hospital with flu symptoms yesterday but was well enough to be sent home. She and her family were now under quarantine. Dr Lester said she did not know where the woman was staying.
Health Minister Daniel Andrews has confirmed tests on a Victorian woman had confirmed she had contracted the H1N1 virus. The fourth case is unrelated to the three young brothers confirmed to have H1N1
Cllifton Hill Primary principal Geoff Warren this morning said the school, and state health and education departments, had taken the decision last night to close the school after three brothers returned from a trip to Disneyland with swine flu.
Two of the brothers attend the school. Their classes were quarantined yesterday after they were confirmed to have contracted the H1N1 virus.
Mr Warren said it was unlikely other pupils had been exposed to the virus.
"The concern is there," he said. "It's at a low level to be honest, but we need to be extremely cautious in this sort of situation, with the discussions worldwide about the potential for a pandemic from this,'' Mr Warren told the Nine Network.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/swine-flu-outbreak-closes-school-20090521-bfyw.html