• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Australia. ACT not testing all flu clinic patients

kiwibird

Editor, Senior Moderator
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...e-flu-clinic-opens-as-cases-rise/1539788.aspx
Second swine flu clinic opens as cases rise
BY NATASHA RUDRA
13/06/2009 10:22:00 AM
The ACT Government has opened a second swine flu clinic at Canberra Hospital after increasing numbers of patients and a bookings breakdown left some families waiting seven hours for treatment at Calvary Hospital yesterday.

But bookings are essential and Health Minister Katy Gallagher says Canberrans shouldn't expect immediate treatment or even swine flu tests when they attend the flu clinics.

Five more swine flu cases were confirmed last night, bringing the ACT's total to 40. But none have been linked to Florey Primary School, where one kindergarten pupil has contracted the disease and up to 60 pupils have been quarantined.

Parents must now ring Canberra Connect tomorrow afternoon to confirm if Florey Primary School will open or close on Monday.

The second ACT clinic opened on the same day the World Health Organisation declared swine the first pandemic in 40 years. But federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon insisted that despite WHO's escalation, the influenza A(H1N1) virus remained mild and Australia would not raise its swine flu alert levels.

The ACT's special swine flu clinic opened at Calvary Hospital last week to handle patients with flu-like symptoms and has seen up to 151 patients a day.

But high demand for services and a breakdown in the bookings process yesterday meant families, including some from Florey Primary, were left waiting for hours.

Frustrated parents told The Canberra Times they had received no warning about lengthy delays at the clinic.

One father, who asked not to be named, spent more than seven hours in the clinic with his young daughter before he could leave.

''The procedure seems a little ridiculous,'' the Hawker man said.

''We had no warning we would be spending all day in a small room crammed with school kids, with nothing to entertain them.''


Ms Gallagher apologised to the community for the breakdown, which was due to a Government error.

ACT Health said the problem had since been rectified and it was essential to ring the Government health service, healthdirect Australia, before coming to the clinic.

For more, pick up a copy of today's Canberra Times

It seems like a good way to ensure the spread of flu! Put a lot of sick school age children in a small room for seven hours! IMO
 
Back
Top