• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Australia: 15 newborn babies with an unknown infection in hospital nursery

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Worst over in Vic baby illness mystery

September 15, 2013

Victorian Health Minister David Davis says the worst is over after more than a dozen babies in a hospital nursery came down with a mysterious infection.

Fifteen newborns being cared for in The Royal Women's Hospital's intensive and special care nursery were quarantined when the illness emerged nine days ago.

Two babies had to have surgery for an inflammatory bowel condition.

More: Sydney Morning Herald



Health funding cuts blamed for mystery illness that swept through Melbourne's Royal Women's Hospital

The Victorian Opposition has blamed a lack of funding for neonatal health care for a mystery illness that swept through a Melbourne maternity hospital.

Fifteen newborn babies in the Royal Women's Hospital's intensive and special care nursery were quarantined last week after contracting an illness.

Two had to have emergency surgery for an inflammatory bowel condition.

The hospital's neonatal services medical director Dr Carl Kuschel says it is not uncommon to have infections in wards but the size of the outbreak was worrying.

"A number of the babies we think had some sort of infection. We haven't been able to identify what it was," he said.

More: ABC Net
 
Re: Australia: 15 newborn babies with an unknown infection in hospital nursery

"A number of the babies we think had some sort of infection. We haven't been able to identify what it was," he said.

This should certainly be pursued further.
 
Back
Top