Gert van der Hoek
In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Worst over in Vic baby illness mystery
September 15, 2013
Victorian Health Minister David Davis says the worst is over after more than a dozen babies in a hospital nursery came down with a mysterious infection.
Fifteen newborns being cared for in The Royal Women's Hospital's intensive and special care nursery were quarantined when the illness emerged nine days ago.
Two babies had to have surgery for an inflammatory bowel condition.
More: Sydney Morning Herald
Health funding cuts blamed for mystery illness that swept through Melbourne's Royal Women's Hospital
The Victorian Opposition has blamed a lack of funding for neonatal health care for a mystery illness that swept through a Melbourne maternity hospital.
Fifteen newborn babies in the Royal Women's Hospital's intensive and special care nursery were quarantined last week after contracting an illness.
Two had to have emergency surgery for an inflammatory bowel condition.
The hospital's neonatal services medical director Dr Carl Kuschel says it is not uncommon to have infections in wards but the size of the outbreak was worrying.
"A number of the babies we think had some sort of infection. We haven't been able to identify what it was," he said.
More: ABC Net
September 15, 2013
Victorian Health Minister David Davis says the worst is over after more than a dozen babies in a hospital nursery came down with a mysterious infection.
Fifteen newborns being cared for in The Royal Women's Hospital's intensive and special care nursery were quarantined when the illness emerged nine days ago.
Two babies had to have surgery for an inflammatory bowel condition.
More: Sydney Morning Herald
Health funding cuts blamed for mystery illness that swept through Melbourne's Royal Women's Hospital
The Victorian Opposition has blamed a lack of funding for neonatal health care for a mystery illness that swept through a Melbourne maternity hospital.
Fifteen newborn babies in the Royal Women's Hospital's intensive and special care nursery were quarantined last week after contracting an illness.
Two had to have emergency surgery for an inflammatory bowel condition.
The hospital's neonatal services medical director Dr Carl Kuschel says it is not uncommon to have infections in wards but the size of the outbreak was worrying.
"A number of the babies we think had some sort of infection. We haven't been able to identify what it was," he said.
More: ABC Net