Shiloh
Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23564564-5007190,00.html
Paramedics' facial hair threat
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
By Darrell Giles
April 20, 2008 12:00am
QUEENSLAND paramedics claim they have been threatened with the sack unless they shave off their beards, moustaches and sideburns.
Several frontline ambulance officers are reported to have refused and now face suspension without pay.
The order follows the issue of special new face masks that paramedics must carry in case of a bird flu pandemic, or biological or chemical terrorist attacks.
A memo from Queensland Ambulance Service bosses said the Australian Standard stated there had to be a perfect seal between mask and skin or the manufacturer could not guarantee full protection.
The manufacturer warned that facial hair interfered with the seal.
Paramedics with long hair and ear piercings are also being targeted, said one senior officer, who has been told to shave off the beard he has worn for 20 years for what he calls the "one-in-a-million chance of having to wear the mask".
He said he had resisted and been disciplined. He has already been taken off managerial shifts and warned that he will be suspended if he doesn't comply by a set date.
"I can't understand. Why should I have to shave off my goatee in the highly unlikely event we will ever have to wear these masks? My beard is part of my identity," he said.
"It's beyond a joke. It's akin to workplace bullying."
Another officer said paramedics did not go into contaminated areas.
"Retrieval and decontamination of patients from contaminated areas is the responsibility of the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service. Paramedics are unlikely to ever require these masks," he said.
Acting Ambulance Commissioner David Melville said he was unaware that staff had been threatened with disciplinary action, and promised that no officer would be sacked.
He said the QAS had a duty of care to protect staff in the event of an emergency and they had to abide by Australian Standards.
Opposition emergency services spokesman Ted Malone said management had an obligation to ensure staff safety, but there had to be a compromise.
"Where's the wisdom in suspending frontline officers when the QAS is already struggling to find 350 new paramedics," he said.
Paramedics' facial hair threat
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
By Darrell Giles
April 20, 2008 12:00am
QUEENSLAND paramedics claim they have been threatened with the sack unless they shave off their beards, moustaches and sideburns.
Several frontline ambulance officers are reported to have refused and now face suspension without pay.
The order follows the issue of special new face masks that paramedics must carry in case of a bird flu pandemic, or biological or chemical terrorist attacks.
A memo from Queensland Ambulance Service bosses said the Australian Standard stated there had to be a perfect seal between mask and skin or the manufacturer could not guarantee full protection.
The manufacturer warned that facial hair interfered with the seal.
Paramedics with long hair and ear piercings are also being targeted, said one senior officer, who has been told to shave off the beard he has worn for 20 years for what he calls the "one-in-a-million chance of having to wear the mask".
He said he had resisted and been disciplined. He has already been taken off managerial shifts and warned that he will be suspended if he doesn't comply by a set date.
"I can't understand. Why should I have to shave off my goatee in the highly unlikely event we will ever have to wear these masks? My beard is part of my identity," he said.
"It's beyond a joke. It's akin to workplace bullying."
Another officer said paramedics did not go into contaminated areas.
"Retrieval and decontamination of patients from contaminated areas is the responsibility of the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service. Paramedics are unlikely to ever require these masks," he said.
Acting Ambulance Commissioner David Melville said he was unaware that staff had been threatened with disciplinary action, and promised that no officer would be sacked.
He said the QAS had a duty of care to protect staff in the event of an emergency and they had to abide by Australian Standards.
Opposition emergency services spokesman Ted Malone said management had an obligation to ensure staff safety, but there had to be a compromise.
"Where's the wisdom in suspending frontline officers when the QAS is already struggling to find 350 new paramedics," he said.