Shiloh
Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington/2683724/Coroner-upset-as-flu-victim-embalmed
Coroner upset as flu victim embalmed
By RUTH HILL - The Dominion Post
Last updated 05:00 29/07/2009
A woman with swine flu who died in Wellington Hospital this week was embalmed before the chief coroner's office was even told about the death.
The 39-year-old had been pregnant but miscarried six to eight weeks before she died. It is not known whether she was sick with the virus then.
Chief coroner Judge Neil MacLean said he was very concerned that his office was not directly informed about the woman's death till after the death certificate had been signed and the body returned to the family.
He has accused Capital and Coast District Health Board of breaching protocol after a death while under medical care.
The woman died on Monday after 11 days in the intensive care unit. It brings the confirmed swine flu death toll to 13.
The coroner's office says it is investigating a further 20 deaths in which swine flu was the suspected cause.
The woman's death certificate recorded the cause of death as "encephalitis [inflammation of the brain] of viral origin".
She had earlier tested positive for pandemic influenza H1N1 09 swine flu. Environmental Science and Research virologist Sue Huang, head of the national influenza centre in Upper Hutt, said that in rare cases, flu patients could appear to be getting better, only to develop secondary infections a week or so later, "sometimes with fatal consequences".
"Mainly, these are respiratory infections but there have been reports of neurological symptoms associated with seasonal influenza."
She said swine flu seemed to be affecting more pregnant women than was usual for seasonal influenza but it was not known why.
Judge MacLean said he found out about the woman's death from a third party and phoned the hospital.
"It's very concerning to me that the correct process was not followed ... From our point of view, we will still add it to the confirmed list [of deaths] but it's not the same as if the coroner had a chance to investigate."
Capital and Coast spokesman Michael Tull said the board would be happy to discuss the matter with the coroner but that he could not comment further out of respect for the family's wishes.
Deputy director of public health Fran McGrath said she believed hospital staff had tried to inform the local coroner's office.
There was no requirement in the Coroners Act for coroners to be automatically informed of pandemic deaths.
"We're very happy to discuss this with the chief coroner if he believes this case falls into a grey area, but it's not appropriate to have that discussion in the media."
Dr McGrath said she was confident that doctors and district health boards were following appropriate processes when it came to reporting deaths, and the Health Ministry was in close contact with the coroner's office.
Ad Feedback
"The coroner's office and the ministry do talk to each other and I'm not aware of any problems."
At midday yesterday, 72 people were in hospital with swine flu or its complications, including 22 in intensive care.
The total number of confirmed cases nationwide hit 2704.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET FLU
If you have flu symptoms, stay at home till you stop sneezing and coughing, as this is how the virus is spread this is usually three or four days but may be up to a week.
If your condition worsens, seek medical advice by phoning Healthline (0800 611 116) or your doctor.
Get medical advice if you are pregnant or have a serious condition including respiratory disease, heart disease, liver disease, blood disorders and neurological conditions or a weakened immune system.
Coroner upset as flu victim embalmed
By RUTH HILL - The Dominion Post
Last updated 05:00 29/07/2009
A woman with swine flu who died in Wellington Hospital this week was embalmed before the chief coroner's office was even told about the death.
The 39-year-old had been pregnant but miscarried six to eight weeks before she died. It is not known whether she was sick with the virus then.
Chief coroner Judge Neil MacLean said he was very concerned that his office was not directly informed about the woman's death till after the death certificate had been signed and the body returned to the family.
He has accused Capital and Coast District Health Board of breaching protocol after a death while under medical care.
The woman died on Monday after 11 days in the intensive care unit. It brings the confirmed swine flu death toll to 13.
The coroner's office says it is investigating a further 20 deaths in which swine flu was the suspected cause.
The woman's death certificate recorded the cause of death as "encephalitis [inflammation of the brain] of viral origin".
She had earlier tested positive for pandemic influenza H1N1 09 swine flu. Environmental Science and Research virologist Sue Huang, head of the national influenza centre in Upper Hutt, said that in rare cases, flu patients could appear to be getting better, only to develop secondary infections a week or so later, "sometimes with fatal consequences".
"Mainly, these are respiratory infections but there have been reports of neurological symptoms associated with seasonal influenza."
She said swine flu seemed to be affecting more pregnant women than was usual for seasonal influenza but it was not known why.
Judge MacLean said he found out about the woman's death from a third party and phoned the hospital.
"It's very concerning to me that the correct process was not followed ... From our point of view, we will still add it to the confirmed list [of deaths] but it's not the same as if the coroner had a chance to investigate."
Capital and Coast spokesman Michael Tull said the board would be happy to discuss the matter with the coroner but that he could not comment further out of respect for the family's wishes.
Deputy director of public health Fran McGrath said she believed hospital staff had tried to inform the local coroner's office.
There was no requirement in the Coroners Act for coroners to be automatically informed of pandemic deaths.
"We're very happy to discuss this with the chief coroner if he believes this case falls into a grey area, but it's not appropriate to have that discussion in the media."
Dr McGrath said she was confident that doctors and district health boards were following appropriate processes when it came to reporting deaths, and the Health Ministry was in close contact with the coroner's office.
Ad Feedback
"The coroner's office and the ministry do talk to each other and I'm not aware of any problems."
At midday yesterday, 72 people were in hospital with swine flu or its complications, including 22 in intensive care.
The total number of confirmed cases nationwide hit 2704.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET FLU
If you have flu symptoms, stay at home till you stop sneezing and coughing, as this is how the virus is spread this is usually three or four days but may be up to a week.
If your condition worsens, seek medical advice by phoning Healthline (0800 611 116) or your doctor.
Get medical advice if you are pregnant or have a serious condition including respiratory disease, heart disease, liver disease, blood disorders and neurological conditions or a weakened immune system.