• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

8th & 9th fatality reported in South Aftrica

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://news.iafrica.com/sa/1876201.htm

H1N1 claims 8th victim
Article By:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:37

Swine flu in South Africa has claimed its eighth victim, an Eastern Cape woman, the National Institute for Communicable Diseases said on Thursday.

The 38-year-old woman, who was in her third trimester of pregnancy, died at Dora Nzinga Hospital in Port Elizabeth. She was also a TB patient on treatment.

Earlier on Thursday, the institute confirmed that the virus was the cause of death of a 21-year-old Pretoria woman, making her the first Gauteng victim, and seventh in the country.

Spokesperson Nombuso Shabalala said Annique Pretorius died in a Pretoria hospital on Monday after going into respiratory distress. Nombuso Shabalala Swabs taken when she was in hospital were on Wednesday confirmed to contain the H1N1 virus.

"Yes, it is the first reported case in Gauteng," Shabalala said.

She said Pretorius was first admitted to hospital with tonsillitis on 8 August.

After three days she was discharged but returned to the hospital in Pretoria West the same night with a fever that would not break.

Doctors then decided to test for the virus and Pretorius was transferred to Kalafong Hospital.

"She was then put in the intensive care unit where she went into severe respiratory distress and then she unfortunately, after two days, passed away," said Shabalala.

The institute said that of the eight confirmed deaths, three had been pregnant. Four had no underlying conditions while one had hypertension and was diabetic.

It said there had been 3485 laboratory-confirmed cases of swine flu throughout the country, most of which were mild.

Containment of the flu, formally known as H1N1, was not possible given its highly infectious nature.

The focus should therefore be on identifying persons at risk for complications, including the elderly, pregnant women and anyone with underlying illness such diabetes, HIV and Aids and chronic lung or chest infections.

Members of the public should practice basic hygiene including washing hands regularly and coughing or sneezing into a tissue or sleeve.
 
Re: 8th fatality reported in So. Aftrica

Re: 8th fatality reported in So. Aftrica

Source: http://www.news24.com/Content/World...-08-2009-09-23/Another_Gauteng_H1N1_flu_death

Another Gauteng H1N1 flu death
2009-08-21 09:23

The World Health Organisation has warned that H1N1 flu will endanger more lives as it spreads rapidly in coming months, with cases seen doubling every three or four days.


Once a total of 100 cases of swine flu have been confirmed in South Africa, authorities will stop the individual laboratory confirmation of cases, the Department of Health says.


Antoinette Pienaar

Pretoria ? A Randfontein car mechanic may have been the first H1N1 flu death in Gauteng, and not a 20-year-old Pretoria woman.

Ina Grobler from Randfontein on Thursday said her husband, Grobbie, 53, had died as a result of the flu pandemic on Saturday. She faxed his death certificate to Beeld.


Grobler said her husband became ill after attending an endurance drive in Fauresmith. He went to the doctor early in August and flu was diagnosed.

He was admitted to the Robinson Private Hospital on August 6 and died on Saturday in the hospital's intensive care unit.

She said her husband had no underlying illnesses.

Disease not confirmed

But the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) said on Thursday that Annique Pretorius, 20, from Andeon, who died on Tuesday, was the first Gauteng case and the seventh H1N1 flu fatality in the country.

Pretorius's father, Christo, said on Thursday that his daughter had been without proper medical care in the Pretoria West Hospital for almost two days because nurses refused to go into her ward. The nurses apparently claimed there were no protective clothes.

Pretorius said he spoke to the head of the hospital who said there were masks and gloves. The nurses apparently said the head "wasn't God" but eventually did go into the ward.

His daughter was only tested for H1N1 flu three days later and at one stage was even sent home while her temperature was 40?C.

A week after being admitted, she developed respiratory problems and it was apparently a struggle to get a bed in Kalafong Hospital where she would be able to get more specialised care.


Did not receive anti-viral medicine

Even though a doctor had said during her admittance in Pretoria West that she possibly had H1N1 flu, she never received anti-viral medicine (like Tamilflu).


According to Mandla Sidu, spokesperson for the Gauteng department of health, as far as the department was concerned, enough protective gear had been bought when the outbreak of H1N1 flu was reported.

"Not everyone with symptoms receives Tamilflu. A doctor decides what to prescribe when he examines the patient."

Pretorius waited six days for the results of his daughter's H1N1 flu test.

Private pathologists told reporters they gave precedence to patients who were hospitalised and tried to test such cases within a day or two.

Confirmed H1N1 flu deaths

The NCID confirmed that a 38-year-old woman from the Eastern Cape was the eighth H1N1 flu death. She was pregnant and in her third trimester and also had tuberculosis.

Of the eight confirmed cases in the country, three women had been pregnant. Four had had no underlying illnesses and one had diabetes and high blood pressure.
 
Re: 8th & 9th fatality reported in South Aftrica

Leaving a patient with no care for 2 days and lying about the reason. Brilliant. The nursing staff involved will probably get an incompetance promotion and a raise in pay. There are lots of truly courageous and compassionate nurses, doctors and lab techs in the public health system but they are given every reason to leave in disgust while those who should be fired are protected well beyond reason. I've seen this phenomenon first hand in both public health and public education systems. It's like some reverse Darwinism. Survival of the witless. A competant public employee has to be supernaturally dedicated to work with and for these people. And it is usually the decent employees who take the abuse from the public that their incompetant coworkers inspire.
 
Back
Top