• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

6 Cholera Patients in Isolation in Kenya - Tests on 3 Suspected Cases Pending

sharon sanders

Editor-in-Chief & President
5 February 2010

Nairobi ? Six of eleven people admitted to hospital with cholera symptoms have been confirmed to be suffering from the disease. They are in hospitals in Siaya and Marakwet districts.


Two of those who tested positive for cholera are at the Siaya district hospital, which has been the throes of an acute water shortage in the past one week. District disease surveillance officer James Sande said four people were brought to the district hospital on Thursday morning and that the results of their lab tests came in on Friday.




snip


According to medical officer of health Isaac Ondicho, the four were from Chesegon and Alpolo locations in the neighbouring Pokot Central District. "The samples taken to laboratories were confirmed positive for the disease," he said. The official explained that they had severe diarrhoea, headache, vomiting, fever, and general body weakness. They were being treated in an isolation ward.


Three other people were on Thursday admitted to the Sigor sub-district hospital with similar symptoms. Mr Ondicho asked residents to improve hygiene standards to prevent further spread of the disease. He added that a team of medical officers had been dispatched to the affected areas to contain the outbreak believed to have been caused by an acute water shortage and contamination as a result of last month's torrential rains.


http://allafrica.com/stories/201002050973.html
 
Re: 6 Cholera Patients in Isolation in Kenya - Tests on 3 Suspected Cases Pending

Source: http://www.nation.co.ke/News/regional/-/1070/863274/-/8q2plu/-/

Disease outbreak claims seven lives

By HENRY ANDANJE and WYCLIFF KIPSANGPosted Tuesday, February 16 2010 at 20:00

In Summary

* Woman died two hours after going to attend to ill husband

Seven people are suspected to have died of cholera in two western Kenya districts.

Five of the deaths occurred in Teso North District, area district officer I Linus Rono said on Tuesday.

He explained that four people died in Osajai village last week after suffering severe diarrhoea and vomiting.

Speaking to journalists at Amagoro, the district headquarters, Mr Rono said area residents had refused to take their sick relatives to the nearby Moding health centre because an elderly woman died just two hours after she went there to attend to her ill husband.

He said the residents were now taking the sick to either Malakisi or Kocholia district hospitals.

Area medical officer of health Melisa Lutomia denied that there was a cholera epidemic, insisting that it was just an outbreak of diarrhoea and vomiting.

Dr Lutomia said specimens had been taken for analysis.

She added that only one patient had died at Kocholia district hospital, adding that health workers had been sent to the area. She said the situation was returning to normal.

In East Pokot, there were fears of a fresh cholera outbreak in Akoret area after two children died.

Addressing the media in Kabarnet town on Tuesday, councillors led by Mr Peter Lokoromou of Silale ward asked the government to send health officials to the area.

The leaders complained that Kapedo and Chemolingot sub-district hospitals were ill-equipped to deal with emergencies.

Medical officer of health Robert Pukose said personnel had been sent to the affected areas to establish the cause of the deaths of the two children.
He dismissed the leaders? claims that health facilities in the area were ill-equipped.

At least 25 people died following a cholera outbreak in the neighbouring Lomelo area late last year.
 
Back
Top