sharon sanders
Editor-in-Chief & President
5 February 2010
Nairobi ? Six of eleven people admitted to hospital with cholera symptoms have been confirmed to be suffering from the disease. They are in hospitals in Siaya and Marakwet districts.
Two of those who tested positive for cholera are at the Siaya district hospital, which has been the throes of an acute water shortage in the past one week. District disease surveillance officer James Sande said four people were brought to the district hospital on Thursday morning and that the results of their lab tests came in on Friday.
snip
According to medical officer of health Isaac Ondicho, the four were from Chesegon and Alpolo locations in the neighbouring Pokot Central District. "The samples taken to laboratories were confirmed positive for the disease," he said. The official explained that they had severe diarrhoea, headache, vomiting, fever, and general body weakness. They were being treated in an isolation ward.
Three other people were on Thursday admitted to the Sigor sub-district hospital with similar symptoms. Mr Ondicho asked residents to improve hygiene standards to prevent further spread of the disease. He added that a team of medical officers had been dispatched to the affected areas to contain the outbreak believed to have been caused by an acute water shortage and contamination as a result of last month's torrential rains.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201002050973.html
Nairobi ? Six of eleven people admitted to hospital with cholera symptoms have been confirmed to be suffering from the disease. They are in hospitals in Siaya and Marakwet districts.
Two of those who tested positive for cholera are at the Siaya district hospital, which has been the throes of an acute water shortage in the past one week. District disease surveillance officer James Sande said four people were brought to the district hospital on Thursday morning and that the results of their lab tests came in on Friday.
snip
According to medical officer of health Isaac Ondicho, the four were from Chesegon and Alpolo locations in the neighbouring Pokot Central District. "The samples taken to laboratories were confirmed positive for the disease," he said. The official explained that they had severe diarrhoea, headache, vomiting, fever, and general body weakness. They were being treated in an isolation ward.
Three other people were on Thursday admitted to the Sigor sub-district hospital with similar symptoms. Mr Ondicho asked residents to improve hygiene standards to prevent further spread of the disease. He added that a team of medical officers had been dispatched to the affected areas to contain the outbreak believed to have been caused by an acute water shortage and contamination as a result of last month's torrential rains.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201002050973.html