http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...le=39-year-old-Petaluma-man-dies-of-swine-flu
39-year-old Petaluma man dies of swine flu
Photo provided by Denise Sturm
Tim Sturm is pictured here calf-roping, which he did competitively across the nation.
By PAUL PAYNE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Published: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 4:29 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 4:29 p.m.
A 39-year-old Petaluma man, a longtime horseman and husband, is the third Sonoma County resident to die of swine flu.
Family members and the Sonoma County Coroner?s office confirmed the death Wednesday of Tim Sturm.
Sturm died at home early Friday after being sick for about a week, family members said. He was being treated at Kaiser Permanante in Santa Rosa for flu symptoms.
His family said he had mild asthma but was otherwise healthy.
?It?s the worst thing I?ve ever been through. He was the love of my life. He was my Superman,? said Denise Sturm, his wife.
Sturm worked as an operations manager for United Site Services and was a member of a competitive cattle roping team.
A lifelong Petaluma resident, he was married for 13 years.
Mark Netherda, the county?s deputy public health officer, confirmed a third death from the H1N1 virus, but refused to identify the person or offer any other details about age and location of the victim.
?I hear a lot of people say it?s just the flu,? said Netherda. ?But it?s not. This is a different organism.?
Sonoma County?s first swine flu fatality was an elderly man with a pre-existing medical condition who died June 20. The county has refused to identify him.
Sonoma County?s second swine flu victim was John ?JD? Dmitri Kaiwi, 43, of Forestville, who died July 7. Doctors said he had a previously unknown heart ailment.
39-year-old Petaluma man dies of swine flu
Photo provided by Denise Sturm
Tim Sturm is pictured here calf-roping, which he did competitively across the nation.
By PAUL PAYNE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Published: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 4:29 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 4:29 p.m.
A 39-year-old Petaluma man, a longtime horseman and husband, is the third Sonoma County resident to die of swine flu.
Family members and the Sonoma County Coroner?s office confirmed the death Wednesday of Tim Sturm.
Sturm died at home early Friday after being sick for about a week, family members said. He was being treated at Kaiser Permanante in Santa Rosa for flu symptoms.
His family said he had mild asthma but was otherwise healthy.
?It?s the worst thing I?ve ever been through. He was the love of my life. He was my Superman,? said Denise Sturm, his wife.
Sturm worked as an operations manager for United Site Services and was a member of a competitive cattle roping team.
A lifelong Petaluma resident, he was married for 13 years.
Mark Netherda, the county?s deputy public health officer, confirmed a third death from the H1N1 virus, but refused to identify the person or offer any other details about age and location of the victim.
?I hear a lot of people say it?s just the flu,? said Netherda. ?But it?s not. This is a different organism.?
Sonoma County?s first swine flu fatality was an elderly man with a pre-existing medical condition who died June 20. The county has refused to identify him.
Sonoma County?s second swine flu victim was John ?JD? Dmitri Kaiwi, 43, of Forestville, who died July 7. Doctors said he had a previously unknown heart ailment.