• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

39 killed, 1,000 missing in Brazil floods

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
39 killed, 1,000 missing in Brazil floods

Juni 22, 2010

(AFP)

RIO DE JANEIRO ? Floods after days of driving rain have killed at least 39 people in northeastern Brazil, and left 1,000 unaccounted for and another 100,000 people homeless, authorities said.

President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has called a crisis cabinet meeting for Tuesday and said the government would make federal funds available to help the homeless.

"Up until the early afternoon we had 26 confirmed dead in Alagoas (state) and more than 1,000 people missing," Alagoas Governor Teotonio Vilela Filho said, quoted on the official Agencia Brasil news agency.

Read more: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gN10VCQvxi0i0a53EZEiINsrssAw
 
Re: 39 killed, 1,000 missing in Brazil floods

Thousand people missing in north-east Brazil floods

_48141676_009613844-1.jpg

_48141744_009613902-2.jpg


_48141602_009613912-1.jpg

_48141336_009613915-1.jpg

_48142176_009613849-1.jpg

_48141957_fionapandelus02.jpg


Page last updated at 09:53 GMT, Tuesday, 22 June 2010 10:53 UK


<!-- END - companion banner --><!-- caption -->Heavy rain in north-eastern Brazil has caused widespread flooding
<!-- END - caption -->
<!-- end of the embedded player component --><!-- Player embedded -->Floods have engulfed two states in north-east Brazil, leaving about 1,000 people missing and forcing at least 100,000 to flee their homes.

At least 38 people are known to have died so far in Alagoas and Pernambuco.

Correspondents say the floods, brought on by nearly a week of rain, have washed away entire villages.

The governor of Alagoas, Teotonio Vilela Filho, said bodies were being washed up on beaches and riverbanks.

"Up until the early afternoon [Monday] we had 26 confirmed dead in Alagoas and more than 1,000 people missing," he said.

"We are praying for the missing to be found alive," he added, before holding talks with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Monday.
Twelve deaths were confirmed in the state of Pernambuco.

More than 58,000 people were forced to leave their homes in Alagoas and more than 42,000 in Pernambuco, Brazil's civil defence agency was quoted as saying by Spain's Efe news agency.

AFP news agency quoted unspecified officials as saying the total number of people displaced was 100,000.

Everything lost

The River Mundau burst its banks in the Alagoas town of Uniao dos Palmares, leaving at least 500 people unaccounted for, civil defence officials told AFP.

Aerial footage showed floodwater washing through the town.

The town of Quebrangulo in Alagoas was reportedly 80% submerged, forcing thousands of residents to flee to higher ground.

In Vitoria de Santo Antao, Pernambuco, a bridge was brought down.
A local woman, named only as Severina, told the Associated Press news agency as she stood with her son that she had lost all her possessions.

"There is nothing left, nothing, nothing, nothing," she said.
An unnamed man in the Pernambuco town of Cortes was shovelling mud out of his home on Monday.

"We are here on our feet, praying to God that we will be able to rebuild again and that everything will work out," he said.

More than 1,000 miles of roads were washed away by the rains, hindering the delivery of aid to affected areas.

Rescue teams brought people out of the worst-affected areas by helicopter.

The army and navy are helping with the rescue efforts.

In 2009, flooding killed at least 44 people and displaced hundreds of thousands in the same region.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/latin_america/10372362.stm
 
Re: 39 killed, 1,000 missing in Brazil floods

Brazil flood toll climbs amid search for hundreds of missing
By Mauricio Rabuffetti (AFP) ? 4 hours ago
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 1px"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>
afp_logo.gif



</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>
ALeqM5izXzbGS4v4qPh1H_TwWqwnP24heg



</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Residents try to recover their belongings from their flooded houses



</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>MACEIO, Brazil ? Rescue teams pressed a grim search Wednesday for hundreds of people missing in raging floods that swept through towns in northeastern Brazil, killing at least 44 people.

As three days of heavy rains eased, authorities feared a sharp rise in the death toll as rescuers reach communities cut off by the devastating torrents of mud, water and debris in the states of Alagoas and Pernambuco.

Churches, schools and hospitals were underwater, or simply disappeared in the floods that turned streets into angry rivers in a region already wracked by extreme poverty.

Tons of mud covered what were once the streets of Branquinha and Rio Largo on the banks of the Mundau River in hard-hit Alagoas, burying what were once houses, businesses and houses of worship.
Pieces of furniture, pots and pans, clothing and other personal articles lay exposed after houses were flattened by the floods.

The water began to rise at 5 am Sunday in Branquinha, 80 kilometers from the Alagoas state capital, Maceio, said Olivaldo da Silva, 47.

"Anyone who did not leave by 10 am died," he told AFP as he climbed a ladder Wednesday to try to clean the mud off his roof.

In Rio Largo, 40 kilometers from Maceio, Cisera Duda, 39, showed an AFP reporter the few things she was able to salvage: a dog, a bird and a wet mattress.

"I managed to save something, but I wasn't able to get hardly anything out of the house," she said.

Dramatic television pictures showed survivors scrambling to rooftops to avoid being swept away, clinging desperately to lines of rope as rescuers in helicopters rushed to pluck them from the muddy floodwaters.

In Maceio, a firefighters' spokesman said, "The tragedy is total, the city is paralyzed."

A tearful survivor in the town of Palmares, Pernambuco told Globonews television, "It destroyed our city. It destroyed everything."

Civil defense authorities estimated that some 600 people were missing, basing the tally on reports to authorities and the accounts of locals.

Alagoas Governor Teotonio Vilela Filho said Tuesday there could be as many as 1,000 people missing.

"But we are worried because bodies are starting to appear on the beaches and the rivers," he told the government newswire Agencia Brasil.
Rescue teams only were able to begin reaching flood-stricken communities

Tuesday afternoon after nearly three days of heavy rains, so the full extent of the disaster remains unknown.

The most devastated area was along a stretch of the Mundau river that runs through Alagoas where firefighters said entire riverside communities were washed away.

In the town of Paudalho, on the banks of the Capibaribe river in Pernambuco, a hospital with a 300 bed capacity was swept away by floods, local television reported. Its patients were moved to nearby shelters.

President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva announced late Tuesday that he would be back to overfly the area on Thursday, as Defense Minister Nelson Jobim has done, the official news agency Agencia Brasil reported.

The toll in Alagoas held steady at 29, but civil defense authorities raised the toll in the larger neighboring state of Pernambuco to 15.

Authorities estimate that 180,000 people have been left homeless by the disaster.

Tons of food, medicine, mattresses and blankets were being flown in from around the country, a firefighters' spokesman told AFP. But some flooded areas were reachable only by helicopter.

Lula held a crisis cabinet meeting that included ministers and the governors of the affected states.

Afterwards, officials announced 55 million dollars in emergency aid, half of which had already been delivered to the state governments.

In April, flooding and landslides triggered by torrential rain killed at least 229 people in the Rio de Janeiro area.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hM63litKRFNX1kIMfVUgKJxXeGkA
 
Re: 39 killed, 1,000 missing in Brazil floods

Lula promises massive north-east Brazil flood aid

Page last updated at 02:07 GMT, Friday, 25 June 2010 03:07 UK


_48169146_009647109-1.jpg

Lula is leading the aid effort


Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has promised a massive relief effort for north-eastern regions devastated by floods.

After a visit to the worst-hit areas, President Lula approved more than $300m (?200m) in emergency aid.

Entire towns and villages were swept away as rivers burst their banks after heavy rains in Alagoas and Pernambuco states.

More than 150,000 people have been left homeless, and 46 are confirmed dead.

"What we saw on the streets was very different to what you see on television or in the newspapers," Lula said after visiting flood-ravaged towns by helicopter.

Flood prone

Several rivers reached record levels, sweeping away bridges, roads, hospitals and schools.

Many towns and villages are still partially flooded or buried in rubble and mud.

Soldiers have been using boats, planes and helicopters to get aid to the worst-affected areas. Damaged railway tracks and roads have hampered the aid effort.

President Lula also urged local authorities not to let people rebuild on areas subject to recurring floods.

"It was irresponsible in the past to let people live on the banks of the river and it would be much more irresponsible to let them go back".

People in one of the worst-hit towns, Branquinha, have already said they are considering rebuilding on higher ground to prevent any repeat of the disaster.

Civil defence officials have reduced the number of people still missing from 600 to less than 150 after finding people in rural areas who had escaped the floods.

The BBC's Paulo Cabral in Maceio says 50 residents from the remote village of Muquem, missing since Friday when a raging torrent destroyed their community, were found on Wednesday.

They survived by seeking shelter in the only safe place available in the area - two big trees - our correspondent reports.


_48151003_brazil_floods_v2.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/latin_america/10410822.stm
 
Back
Top