• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

33-year-old man Nevada's second swine flu death

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
33-year-old man Nevada's second swine flu death


Associated Press - June 29, 2009

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Southern Nevada health officials say a 33-year-old Clark County man infected with the swine flu virus has died.

The Southern Nevada Health District said Monday that the man had no underlying health conditions and had been hospitalized since June 15. He died Sunday.

The death is the second in Nevada related to the virus, also called H1N1.

Earlier this month, a 70-year-old woman from New York state died in Nevada, as officials diagnosed her with the illness after she arrived in Las Vegas.

Health officials say there have been 80 confirmed swine flu cases in Clark County, with a majority of people experiencing mild illness.
\
http://www.ktvn.com/Global/story.asp?S=10612540
 
Re: 33-year-old man Nevada's second swine flu death

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=10640857

Friend of Las Vegas H1N1 Victim Speaks Out

Updated: Jul 03, 2009 11:34 AM
Video Gallery

Friend of Las Vegas H1N1 Victim Speaks Out

2:24
John Talley spent his 34th birthday hospitalized in a coma.
An otherwise healthy 34-year-old man could not fight off the H1N1 virus and ended up becoming the first Clark County death from swine flu. His roommate is now speaking out about what happened to his friend.

John Talley spent his 34th birthday hospitalized in a coma.

"I've known him for 20 years. He's a healthy person," said Luc Mayer, Tally's friend and roommate.

When Talley first became sick, he thought he had food poisoning but the virus that is now a global pandemic ended up killing him.

"He came back from the doctor's office, and he said, 'they say I have food poisoning.'"


Luc Mayer lived with Talley and two other roommates. They saw their friend's health go down fast.

"He came home on Monday, looked at him, he looked worse. He went back to the emergency room, and they checked him into the hospital."

Talley was admitted at Mountain View Hospital on June 15 for pneumonia.

"He never came out," Mayer said. He says that Talley did not respond to Tamiflu or other treatments. He says his friend kept getting worse and ended up in ICU for 13 days.

"I believe the hospital did what they could. The nursing staff in ICU was incredible throughout, the doctors too," Mayer said.

What's frustrating for Mayer is that Talley's first four tests came back negative. Only the fifth test was positive for H1N1. He died three days later and Mayer has lots of questions.

"Anger, how can I not be angry? How you can go this long and not know what's going on?"

How Talley got the virus or why it killed him may never be known. None of his roommates have become ill and they are well past the incubation period. No one from the Southern Nevada Health District could comment about specifics on this latest swine flu death because of medical privacy issues.
 
Re: 33-year-old man Nevada's second swine flu death

The above article has a picture of the victim.
 
Re: 33-year-old man Nevada's second swine flu death

thanks wotan


am I reading that right?

"He never came out," Mayer said. He says that Talley did not respond to Tamiflu or other treatments. He says his friend kept getting worse and ended up in ICU for 13 days.

So that makes Denmark, Japan, China, and now the U.S. with Tamiflu-resistant cases?

How unsurprising that this information comes courtesy of John Talley's roommate and not the CDC.
 
Re: 33-year-old man Nevada's second swine flu death

thanks wotan


am I reading that right?



So that makes Denmark, Japan, China, and now the U.S. with Tamiflu-resistant cases?

How unsurprising that this information comes courtesy of John Talley's roommate and not the CDC.

I highlighted that portion because of that very concern. I could not tell if he was able to start Tamiflu in time or if it was resistant. The timeline is very sketchy.
 
Back
Top