• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

2nd A/H1N1 death reported in CT

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/health/news_wtnh_waterbury_swine_flu_kills_child_200906111530

Swine flu kills
Waterbury child
2nd death in the state from swine flu

Updated: Thursday, 11 Jun 2009, 3:42 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 11 Jun 2009, 3:32 PM EDT

Waterbury (WTNH) - A Waterbury child has become the second person in the state to die from the swine flu (H1N1).

The state Department of Public Health says the child was 5-10 years old but did not attend school this year because of other serious health problems.

An elderly Waterbury woman died earlier this month due to swine flu. She also had other health problems, including diabetes.


There are 637 confirmed cases of swine flu in the state. Only nine people have been hospitalized.

Also today, the World Health Organization (WHO) raised the pandemic threat level for the swine flu to level six, the agency's highest alert level.
 
Re: 2nd A/H1N1 death reported in CT

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-web-swine-flu-0611jun12,0,6606608.story

Waterbury Child, 6, Becomes State's Second Swine Flu Fatality
Courant Staff Report
3:51 PM EDT, June 11, 2009

A Connecticut child who had swine flu and underlying medical conditions has died, the second state death linked to the virus, according to the state Department of Public Health.

The child, a 6-year-old from Waterbury, did not attend school this year, died recently after being hospitalized.

"There is no greater loss than the death of a child, and our deepest sympathies go out to this child's parents and family," said Dr. J. Robert Galvin, commissioner of the state Department of Public Health. "Though the cases of H1N1 flu in Connecticut have largely been mild, this death underscores the seriousness of influenza and the devastating impact it can have."

Galvin added that deaths from H1N1, or swine flu, are not unexpected. Every year, about 36,000 people die from seasonal flu in the U.S.



The state has had 637 confirmed cases of swine flu, though the actual number of cases is likely much higher because many people with mild symptoms recovered at home without seeking care from a doctor or hospital. Nine patients are known to have been hospitalized, including the two who died. The others have recovered, according to the state health department.

On Thursday, the World Health Organization declared swine flu a pandemic, a determination based on the virus' geographic spread. State health officials have said the designation was expected and that it does not change what state and local health departments are doing to prepare for and respond to swine flu.

Health officials continue to urge people to take precautions against the spread of flu, including frequent hand washing, covering coughs and staying home if they feel sick.
 
Re: 2nd A/H1N1 death reported in CT

Source: http://www.wfsb.com/health/19724454/detail.html

Kindergartner Dies Of H1N1 Complications
Death Second Reported From Virus In State

POSTED: 11:32 am EDT June 11, 2009
UPDATED: 4:10 pm EDT June 11, 2009


WATERBURY, Conn. -- A Waterbury kindergartner has become the state's second confirmed H1N1 death, health officials said Thursday.

The child had underlying health problems, according to state health officials.

The office of Waterbury's mayor told Eyewitness News that the child was enrolled in school, but was part of a program in which the teacher went to the child's home. School officials said that while the instructor who taught the child at the home has not shown any symptoms of the virus, she was being isntructed to stay home as a precaution.

The child died at Yale New Haven Hospital after being confirmed as having the virus about a week ago.

"There is no greater loss than the death of a child, and our deepest sympathies go out to this child's parents and family," stated DPH Commissioner Dr. J. Robert Galvin. "Though the cases of H1N1 flu in Connecticut have largely been mild, this death underscores the seriousness of influenza and the devastating impact it can have."

To date, 637 confirmed cases of H1N1 have been reported in the state.

The death comes as the World Health Organization declared an H1N1 pandemic Thursday, making it the first global flu epidemic in 41 years.

The pandemic was declared as infections climb in the United States, Europe, Australia and South America.

WHO raised the warning level from phase 5 to 6, its highest alert. Read more
 
Back
Top