Re: 13 swine flu related deaths in NI since November.
Re: 13 swine flu related deaths in NI since November.
Swine flu deaths finally revealed
Published Date: 07 January 2011
...
Nine of those who died from the H1N1 virus had underlying health problems, while further information is being sought on the other four.
The Public Health Agency (PHA) said yesterday that the 13 people, aged between seven and 67-years-old, died between November 1 2010 to January 6 2011
...
Mr Wells said he believed that if people had known the extent of the outbreak, they would have made more effort to vaccinate themselves or undertake preventative measures to stop them catching flu.
"20 people died during the outbreak last year, the fact that we know have 13 deaths says to me that we have a serious situation here," he said.
"We need to hear if anyone who died did so without underlying health issues, as to my knowledge that's a first for Northern Ireland."
Dr Carolyn Harper, Director of Public Health, said the latest figure of 13 would not represent all flu-related deaths in Northern Ireland, but added that the number of deaths was no different than in previous years, and is lower than that seen during last year's swine flu pandemic.
She added: "The public should therefore not be unduly concerned."
...
The number of influenza deaths in Northern Ireland will now be published on a weekly basis as part of the PHA's flu bulletin.
http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=385831