• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

21-yr-old from DeFuniak Springs Dies

JimO

Well-known member
Source: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/swine-19491-defuniak-year.html

21-year-old with swine flu dies

Chase Ray's death is first fatal case here

August 06, 2009 7:00 PM
Andrew Gant
Daily News

DeFUNIAK SPRINGS ? A 21-year-old man died Thursday as a result of swine flu, the first such death of an Okaloosa, Santa Rosa or Walton County resident during this year?s outbreak.

Chase Ray died at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, where he?d been hospitalized for more than a week with the H1N1 virus.

Reached at the family?s home, Ray?s mother Michele confirmed his death. But officials at Sacred Heart and with the Walton County Health Department were not releasing any information Thursday.

?With HIPAA regulations and incomplete information, we are unable to confirm or deny since the Walton County Health Department has not itself received a confirmation, which would need to cite a specific cause of death,? Health Department spokeswoman Shirley Chaney said in an e-mail.

Chaney said officials at Sacred Heart hadn?t ruled on a cause Thursday evening.

But on Wednesday, the Health Department did confirm two recent H1N1 cases in Walton County.

The first was detected July 15 in a 17-year-old who apparently was exposed to the virus while traveling out-of-state.

The second case, presumably Ray?s, was confirmed last week. He was believed to have contracted the virus in Orlando.

?It?s devastating and we?re so sorry for the family,? said Sonny Mares, executive director of the Walton County Tourist Development Council, where Michele Ray works. ?I?m grieving for them.?

Mares also confirmed the H1N1 information.

Ray?s funeral was set for 3 p.m. Saturday at New Beginnings Church in Freeport. Visitation is at 2 p.m.

His family and friends remembered him as a hunter and fisherman who also loved running his dogs and shrimping.

The death came a week after Hurlburt Field?s 1st Special Operations Medical Group confirmed four cases in airmen and said 59 others might be infected.

For many of those, the strain will become no worse than a common flu, healthy officials say.

About 44,000 cases of swine flu in the United States have been reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention since mid-April. While only about 5,000 people have been hospitalized, some 302 have died.

In late July, the CDC quit counting cases.

Of all the U.S. cases, half have been among young people between the ages of 5 and 24, in contrast to other flu strains that affect large numbers of elderly persons.
 
Re: 21-yr-old from DeFuniak Springs Dies

DeFuniak Springs Man Dies From Swine Flu

Posted: 5:54 PM Aug 6, 2009
Last Updated: 5:54 PM Aug 6, 2009

A Walton County man may be northwest Florida’s first swine flu-related death. Officials at Sacred Heart Hospital have confirmed that 21-year-old Chase Ray died Thursday morning at their Pensacola facility.

Newschannel 7 has learned Walton County paramedics took Ray to Pensacola Wednesday, suffering from severe flu-like symptoms. They believe ray contracted the illness after returning from a trip to Disney World in Orlando.

Walton County health department officials referred our inquiries to Sacred Heart as to an official cause of death. But they did confirm a new case of h-1-n-1 in the county.

Experts advise anyone with flu-like symptoms to stay home to avoid spreading possible infections and see a doctor immediately.

Others should avoid close contact with people who display flu symptoms, wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.

http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/52614387.html
 
Re: 21-yr-old from DeFuniak Springs Dies

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/swine-19491-defuniak-year.html

21-year-old with swine flu dies

Chase Ray's death is first fatal case here
August 06, 2009 7:00 PM
Andrew Gant
Daily News

DeFUNIAK SPRINGS ? A 21-year-old man died Thursday as a result of swine flu, the first such death of an Okaloosa, Santa Rosa or Walton County resident during this year?s outbreak.

Chase Ray died at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, where he?d been hospitalized for more than a week with the H1N1 virus.

?I don?t know if he?d ever been sick a day in his life? before that, said Ray?s pastor, Louis Taunton of New Beginnings Church in Freeport. ?I don?t know if anybody knows how he got it.?

Reached at the family?s home, Ray?s mother Michele confirmed his death. But officials at Sacred Heart and with the Walton County Health Department were not releasing any information Thursday.

?With HIPAA regulations and incomplete information, we are unable to confirm or deny since the Walton County Health Department has not itself received a confirmation, which would need to cite a specific cause of death,? Health Department spokeswoman Shirley Chaney said in an e-mail.

Chaney said officials at Sacred Heart hadn?t ruled on a cause Thursday evening.

But on Wednesday, the Health Department did confirm two recent H1N1 cases in Walton County.

The first was detected July 15 in a 17-year-old who apparently was exposed to the virus while traveling out-of-state.

The second case, presumably Ray?s, was confirmed last week. He was believed to have contracted the virus in Orlando.

Taunton said doctors determined Ray had swine flu about a week after he was hospitalized.

Before that, ?they just thought he had a bad virus, couldn?t seem to get it under control,? he said.

Ray lived about six days after his case was confirmed.

?It?s devastating and we?re so sorry for the family,? said Sonny Mares, executive director of the Walton County Tourist Development Council, where Michele Ray works. ?I?m grieving for them.?

Mares also confirmed the H1N1 information.

Ray?s funeral was set for 3 p.m. Saturday at New Beginnings Church in Freeport. Visitation is at 2 p.m.

His family and friends remembered him as a hunter and fisherman who also loved running his dogs and shrimping. Since graduating high school, he?d worked side-by-side with his father, Gilbert Ray, in the family-owned business.

His death came a week after Hurlburt Field?s 1st Special Operations Medical Group confirmed four cases in airmen and said 59 others might be infected.

For many of those, the strain will become no worse than a common flu, healthy officials say.

About 44,000 cases of swine flu in the United States have been reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention since mid-April. While only about 5,000 people have been hospitalized, some 302 have died.

In late July, the CDC quit counting cases.

Of all the U.S. cases, half have been among young people between the ages of 5 and 24, in contrast to other flu strains that affect large numbers of elderly persons.

Daily News Staff Writer Kim White contributed to this report.
 
Re: 21-yr-old from DeFuniak Springs Dies

Source: http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/52684142.html

21-Year-Old Walton Man Dies From Swine Flu
Posted: 3:21 PM Aug 7, 2009
Last Updated: 3:21 PM Aug 7, 2009

Friday afternoon, Walton County Health Department Officials confirmed the loss of the first Panhandle resident to swine flu.
"It occurred in a 21-year-old Walton County resident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family," Health Department Director, Gail Allen.
The normally healthy Chase Ray died tragically Thursday morning at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola.
Ray had been hospitalized for more than a week after contracting the H1N1 virus during a recent vacation to Orlando.
Friends and family say Chase loved the outdoors, deer hunting, fishing, and shrimping.
His mother, Michele, works at the Walton County Tourist Development Center.
Her co-workers are stunned by the news.
"We've offered anything we can do to help the family get through this tragedy and help them heal. We're just all very sorry," says Walton County T.D.C. Director, Sonny Mares.
Experts say there are some things you can do to help protect yourself from contracting the H1N1 virus.
"Stay home from school or work if you're sick. Wash your hands, especially after coughing or sneezing. If you're sneezing you should cover your cough or sneeze," Allen says.
Health officials also advise anyone with flu-like symptoms, especially fever, to see a doctor immediately.
Ray's funeral is set for 3:00 P.M. Saturday at New Beginnings Church in Freeport.
Visitation begins at 2:00 P.M.
 
Back
Top