• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

20 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season - H1N1

Roehl_JC

Moderator
Health officials are investigating if the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu, caused a Tauranga woman's death.
SunLive understands Lee Roche died at Tauranga Hospital on June 26 and the cause is thought to be H1N1.


Bay of Plenty District Health Board medical officer of Health Phil Shoemack says he is aware of the case but there is no confirmed diagnosis at this stage.

"We are following up with the doctors involved in her care."
He says it is believed the woman may have died from H1N1 because she was suffering symptoms of the virus before her death.
"She died of an influenza type illness is my understanding, but further than that we don't have any more details at this stage."
Phil says they have learnt more about H1N1 and it's thought the virus attacks healthy adults, rather than those who are already vulnerable because of age or illness.
"With H1N1, it seems to be healthy adults who have a higher risk. People in their 30s, 40s and 50s, rather than people in their 70s, 80s and 90s.
"It would be fair to say that we know more about this particular virus. We know now that H1N1 is no more likely to cause significant illness than ordinary influenza viruses that we get every year."
Phil believes there were about 20 H1N1 deaths in New Zealand in 2009, but says there have been none recorded in the Bay of Plenty.
He believes the virus has become so widespread in New Zealand that about 70-80 per cent of influenza cases this winter will be H1N1.

http://www.sunlive.co.nz/15804a1.page
 
Re: 1st NZ death suspected in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 1st NZ death suspected in 2010 winter season from H1N1

The investigation into the cause of death of an influenza sufferer is complete, with results confirming the Tauranga woman was killed by the H1N1 virus.
SunLive first reported earlier on Monday that the virus was being considered a possible cause of Lee Roche's death, who died in Tauranga Hospital on June 26.

Bay of Plenty District Health Board medical officer of heath, Dr Phil Shoemack, says test results have come back and it was confirmed H1N1 caused Lee's death.
This is the first reported H1N1 death in the Bay of Plenty.
About 20 people died in New Zealand after contracting the virus when it first emerged in winter 2009.

http://www.sunlive.co.nz/15806a1.page
 
Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Swine Flu death in Western Bay
5th July 2010

Email Story Print larger | smaller A woman has died from the H1N1 influenza virus - the first Swine Flu death in the Western Bay of Plenty.

The woman, aged in her late 40s, died in Tauranga Hospital about 10 days ago.

Bay of Plenty District Health Board medical officer of Health Phil Shoemack, said the woman had been in hospital for "a few weeks."

Lab tests confirmed that the illness at the the time of her death was caused by the H1N1 virus, and she died from complications associated with it.

Mr Shoemack said the H1N1 virus was now the most common influenza virus circulating around the globe.

For more on this story, see tomorrow's Bay of Plenty Times.
http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/local/news/swine-flu-death-in-western-bay/3916802/
 
Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Woman Succumbs to H1N1 while Battling the Grief of Her Dead Husband


The 48-year-old Tauranga woman, who passed away due to H1N1 or commonly known as swine flu, was battling with the loss of her husband, Greg, who died of cancer in the month of August in the preceding year.

Bay of Plenty District Health Board Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Phil Shoemack gave confirmation on Monday that Lee Roche died in Tauranga Hospital on June 26 from H1N1.

Family members informed SunLive that one of Lee's daughters also became victims of H1N1 but did not die from the virus.

It is considered that Lee contracted the virus from her daughter however family members did not give their comments when asked.

Family members said that daughters, Kate and Jode Roche, who have been able to fight the virus, are still struggling with the death of their father.

She wrote a book, Circle of Life, in which she wrote about the struggle that she long with her husband faced when he had been undergoing cancer treatment and on its website, www. circleoflife. co. nz, Lee's daughters have written a tribute to their mother in her respect.

On the 26th of June, 2010, Mother Lee passed away. Daughters said that ever since their father left them, their mother longed for her only soul mate.

http://topnews.net.nz/content/25927-woman-succumbs-h1n1-while-battling-grief-her-dead-husband
 
Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Swine flu death second tragedy for family

By Anna Rushworth
4:00 AM Sunday Jul 11, 2010

Swine flu has claimed its first victim this year a healthy 48-year-old woman who got sick while visiting Auckland.

Lee Roche, from Papamoa, in the Bay of Plenty, succumbed to the virus late last month after falling ill in May.

Lee was in an induced coma for five weeks in Tauranga Hospital. During that time Kate and Jodie stayed at their mum's bedside and supported each other.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/article.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=10657957
 
Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

It would be interesting to know whether the woman got pandemic flu virus past winter and if she received the vaccine.
 
Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 1st NZ death in 2010 winter season from H1N1

The Ministry of Health says two people have now died from swine flu so far this winter.

It says the death of a 51-year-old North Island man occurred in the past two weeks. That follows the death earlier this month of a 48-year-old Tauranga woman after several weeks in hospital with swine flu.

The ministry says the man had an underlying condition that was exacerbated by the swine flu virus.

Health officials say people should get vaccinated against flu quickly if they haven't already done so. If they're sick, they should also seek medical advice without delay so that they can be assessed for antiviral medication.

Copyright ? 2010 Radio New Zealand

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2010/07/16/1248100c1696
 
Re: 2 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 2 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Swine flu-linked death referred to coroner

Hutt Hospital nurse Mony Heng, 39, died in Wellington Hospital on July 27 last year, 10 days after being admitted to the intensive care ward with breathing problems.

During her time in hospital, Ms Heng was sedated, put on a ventilator to help her breathe, given swine flu drug Tamiflu, antibiotics for other possible infections and medication for low blood pressure.

She remained critically ill but stable until July 25, when she had a very high fever and significant fluid retention, and was placed on a dialysis machine.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/3967729/Swine-flu-linked-death-referred-to-coroner
 
Re: 3 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 3 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Christchurch woman fourth swine flu death

A Christchurch woman is believed to be the fourth person to die of swine flu this year.

The 44-year-old, who had an underlying health condition, died last night in Christchurch Hospital's intensive care unit.

Her death has been referred to the coroner.

A 38-year-old Wellington man also succumbed to swine flu yesterday, a week after he was admitted to Wellington Hospital's intensive care unit.

He was understood to have suffered from cystic fibrosis, which affects the lungs.

The deaths follow those of a 51-year-old Northland man last month, and a 48-year-old Tauranga woman in June.

The H1N1 pandemic strain of the virus is the predominant flu strain circulating this winter.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/7732808/christchurch-woman-fourth-swine-flu-death/
 
Re: 4 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 4 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Swine flu death in Hawke's Bay
By MARTY SHARPE - The Dominion Post Last updated 09:04 12/08/2010


LATEST: A Hawke's Bay man is believed to be the fifth person to die of swine flu in New Zealand this year.

A 22-year-old man, who had an underlying health condition, died in Hawke's Bay Hospital's intensive care unit on Tuesday morning.

Results from tests returned on Wednesday afternoon confirmed he had the pandemic influenza strain H1N1.

The man's death has been referred to the coroner.

A spokesman for the coroner said his finding was likely to be completed today.

The man's name would not be released until family had been informed of the finding.

The man's death came just hours before the World Health Organisation (WHO) announced the swine flu pandemic was over and the world had entered a post-pandemic phase.

The step to downgrade followed advice given Tuesday by the WHO's advisory emergency committee of 15 external scientists, who heard presentations from health officials from countries reporting cases of H1N1, including New Zealand.

WHO director-general Margaret Chan said the virus had not gone away, and recognised that New Zealand was still experiencing the effects of a second wave of the H1N1 virus.

Deputy director of public health Darren Hunt yesterday said the country was still seeing a significant level of swine flu, and New Zealanders still needed to remain vigilant as there had been significant outbreaks of influenza in some areas.

''While some countries have seen H1N1 virus decline or crowded out by other strains, this is not the case in New Zealand,'' he said.

''The pandemic influenza strain is the predominant strain circulating this winter. We are seeing higher levels of hospitalisation in areas that weren't severely affected last year.

''To date, there had been over 300 people admitted to hospital this year with confirmed H1N1, which includes over 30 people admitted to intensive care,'' Dr Hunt said.

More than 200 people have been in hospital with swine flu this year, with nearly 60 admitted last week.

Five people are believed to have died from swine flu in New Zealand this year.

A Christchurch woman, 44, and a Wellington man, 38, died on Sunday.

The deaths followed those of a Northland man, 51, last month, and a Tauranga woman, 48, in June.

- with NZPA
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/national/4016312/Swine-flu-death-in-Hawkes-Bay
 
Re: 5 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 5 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Fine one day, dead the next: Flu kills boy
By Vaimoana Tapaleao 10:31 AM Saturday Aug 14, 2010


When Mark Holloway complained to his grandmother of a sore back, he was taken to the family doctor for a routine check.

The next day he was dead.

The 12-year-old, a pupil at Henderson Intermediate, died on Wednesday last week of what doctors have told the family was a strand of the flu.

On Monday, he was farewelled by about 300 friends and family at his West Auckland school.

Maria Matson said her nephew's unexpected death has shattered their close-knit family.

"Just the day before he was playing with his cousins, breakdancing and playing on his PlayStation," she said. "On Monday he said he had a sore back. That night it got worse so we took him to the doctor on Tuesday morning. He got some painkillers and was told to keep off his hip."

By Wednesday morning, the pain had increased and Mark's grandmother Mere, whom he lived with, took him to Waitakere Hospital, where he was looked at quickly before being rushed to the Starship children's hospital.

"My mother called me that Marky was being moved to Starship and I couldn't believe it. She was panicking and told me: 'Our boy's not right'. He had a cardiac arrest and by 6pm he was gone."

Miss Matson said the family had been told Mark's death was the result of a strand of the flu, but that he had also suffered pneumonia.

She said there were no signs leading up to her nephew's death that showed it was nothing more than a sore back. And the fact that he was seen by a doctor and given painkillers a day before his death was even more upsetting, she said.

"I've questioned those painkillers and how they affected him," Miss Matson said. "But Marky's death has taught me - for all of us - to not hold any grudges. He was an inspiring kid."

Principal Bruce Dale paid tribute to the youngster, who loved video games and V8 cars, saying he was a well-liked pupil.

"He was involved in everything at school. He never got angry. He was just a nice boy from a loving family."

Mr Dale said the school was devastated to lose a pupil and particularly because Mark's death was so sudden.

"We had a very special ceremony for Mark, it was a huge funeral. The kids took part, there were a lot of tears, and it was a very special ceremony."

Miss Matson said the family were missing "our boy", who had a knack for calming down distressed babies and was adored by his 3-year-old brother George.

"He had a gentle heart, he really did. He'd go to the shops and call me from there asking, 'Aunty, you want me to grab you anything?'

"On his birthday he was never the type to want anything big - parties or presents - just a cake."

On Wednesday, a kauri was planted between the two classrooms Mark had been in during his time at the school. Ms Matson said: "A good, strong tree. It will grow big and strong, just like Marky was."

By Vaimoana Tapaleao | Email Vaimoana
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10666005
 
Suspected Pandemic Influenza H1N1 Death in Taranaki

Suspected Pandemic Influenza H1N1 Death in Taranaki

A Taranaki woman who died last week has tested positive for Pandemic Influenza (H1N1).

The woman, who was in her 50s, had underlying medical conditions. The death has been referred to the Coroner.

To respect the privacy of her family, no further details about this case will be released by Taranaki DHB.

Symptoms of influenza can include a high fever, headache, cough, sore throat, tiredness and aching all over.

Taranaki Medical Officer of Health Dr Greg Simmons reminds people to take steps to protect themselves and others from influenza. Wash and dry hands frequently, cover coughs and sneezes and stay home if you are sick.

This year, Taranaki is experiencing a higher incidence of influenza with a total of 41 cases to date in 2010 compared to 33 cases for the whole of 2009.

Seeking early medical advice is especially important for those who are likely to suffer more severe illness. These include women who are pregnant, severely overweight people and those with underlying medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, cancer, heart and lung disease and other conditions resulting in lowered immunity.

Limited stocks of Influenza vaccine are still available and immunisation is recommended.

http://www.tdhb.org.nz/news/swine_flu/documents/media_release_2010_8_23.shtml
 
Re: 6 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Re: 6 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season from H1N1

Ten deaths as swine flu takes bigger toll in some regions
NZPA
Last updated 17:03 23/08/2010

As at midday today, there had this year been 501 admissions of people with lab-confirmed pandemic influenza H1N1, with 16 currently in intensive care with confirmed H1N1.

Dr Jacobs said there had this year been a total of 77 admissions of confirmed H1N1 to intensive care units. The figures did not include influenza-like illness among people admitted to hospital without a positive H1N1 lab test result.

Six of 10 deaths linked to swine flu had been confirmed as being caused by the illness.

The latest was a Taranaki woman who died last week and had tested positive for H1N1. The woman, who was in her 50s, had underlying medical conditions.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...s-swine-flu-takes-bigger-toll-in-some-regions
 
Re: 15 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season - H1N1

Re: 15 NZ deaths - 2010 winter season - H1N1

Swine flu cases still on the increase Published: 6:06AM Tuesday August 31, 2010
Source: Newstalk ZB
Read
Tools: Email Print Text Size Share on img Retweet img
Source: ONE News


Related News
Reassurance over swine flu August 27, 2010
More swine flu deaths recorded August 26, 2010
Three new deaths linked to swine flu August 19, 2010
The Ministry of Health is still reporting a significant number of swine flu cases.

There have been 609 hospitalisations of confirmed cases of the virus this year - and 14 people are currently in intensive care.

Sixteen deaths this year have been linked to swine flu.


Deputy director of public health Darren Hunt said recent information suggests that some regions may be starting to see a decline in influenza activity, especially in the North Island where most activity has been.

But he said it was too early to tell whether it's the start of a downward trend.
http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/swine-flu-cases-still-increase-3750329
 
Back
Top