• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

2 N.C. Hospitals Warn of Virus Outbreak

hawkeye

Well-known member
2 N.C. Hospitals Warn of Virus Outbreak

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) -- Two hospitals are asking visitors, especially children, to stay away until they control an outbreak of a highly contagious stomach virus that has sickened patients and staff members.

"We're just asking the community to help out," said Dr. Ward Robinson, an infectious disease specialist at Moses Cone Hospital. "I don't think this is the black plague coming into Greensboro."

Doctors confirmed an outbreak at the hospital and believe the virus also has hit Wesley Long Hospital. The number of people affected wasn't immediately available, hospital officials said.

Three suspected norovirus cases first appeared on Feb. 1 and were not confirmed until Wednesday, Doug Allred, a spokesman for Moses Cone Health System, said Friday.

The hospitals will admit new patients who will be sent to areas considered clear of the virus.

"All services are running as normal," Allred said. "Mostly this is aimed at visitors to take these precautions."

Allred said it wasn't clear where the infection originated.

"It's coming in from elsewhere," he said. "It's in our community."

A number of cruises, airplane flights, hotels and other gathering places have been stricken over the past several years with outbreaks of noroviruses.

The viruses can cause diarrhea, stomach pain and vomiting for two to four days, but are generally not fatal, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
 
Re: 2 N.C. Hospitals Warn of Virus Outbreak

In mid December, I posted a warning about the norovirus I caught, noting that it was quietly spreading and that people who have "recovered" from it can infect others for about a week after they feel better. I believe that the brouhaha over the e coli contagion they couldn't locate at Taco Bell was actually a case or two of norovirus among staffers there.

The stomach virus is still spreading. Last month the Hilton Hotel at Dulles Airport came down with it and the brilliant managers closed the place and moved the seemingly unsick guests and staffers to all the other Hiltons in the area, undoubtedly spreading it.

Then the QEII sailed into port with 19% of crew and guests sick with norovirus.

Have you heard anyone in public health warn people about this virus? About how contagious it is? And for so long?

Nope.

Now it's closed two hospitals in North Carolina (story above, thanks, Hawkeye).

When idiots tell you that our civilization is too advanced, too technologically sophisticated to endure a flu pandemic, try not to barf on them. You may, after all, have caught norovirus in our glimmering, clean world.

Note that the story fails to mention that people who have recovered can spread it. Boy are we sharp!

Hubris is Us.

Best, DA
 
Back
Top