• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

2 more A/H1N1 deaths in LA County, CA- Total 3

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/07/swine-flu-deaths-in-la-county.html

Swine flu deaths in L.A. County
1:46 PM | July 8, 2009

Two more people have died in Los Angeles County from the novel H1N1 swine flu virus, local public health officials said today.

The deaths occurred among people who were at risk for higher complications from the flu. The latest victim was a pregnant woman, whose baby survived. The other occurred in a person with an underlying medical problem.

L. A. County now has a total of three confirmed deaths related to the H1N1 virus. The first death occurred in a middle-aged woman who had an underlying medical condition. She died in late May.


County health officials said the deaths were not unexpected, as the regular seasonal flu can also cause deaths among pregnant women and those already ill or with chronic medical conditions. But they cautioned that the public should be aware that the flu virus is continuing to circulate and that people should continue to take common-sense precautions such as washing hands frequently and staying home if they feel ill.

Last month, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that at least 1 million Americans have now contracted the swine flu virus. Data show that the virus is continuing to spread even though the regular flu season has ended and that an increasing proportion of victims is being hospitalized.

On Tuesday, the World Health Organization was preparing to recommend that most countries assume that their flu cases are the result of the novel H1N1 swine flu virus. Officials reported seeing the first signs of resistance to the commonly used antiviral drug Tamiflu, though none of the signs is particularly disturbing.

The most recent figures reported to the WHO indicate that more than 98,000 cases have been confirmed in 120 countries, with 440 deaths, though officials estimate the number of actual infections at 10 to 100 times that.

--Rong-Gong Lin II
 
Re: 2 more A/H1N1 deaths in LA County, CA- Total 3

So why is it appropriate to announce that someone who was pregnant died but it is wrong to announce what "underlying" conditions there were in other cases? I would think that the same privacy rules, if there really are any that apply anyway, would apply to pregnancy as with any other condition.
 
Back
Top